Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
LouisB Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
so after peeling the good braid off of the reel I a thinking to spool up some cheap 4-6 lb mono to learn to cast.
I'm thinking it will be much like braid and not a big loss if I have to use a knife to remove over runs!
Heavy, medium or lightweight casting weight to start?

Sound reasonable to those of you chuckling to yourself over the problems the noobie is going to encounter during the learning phase.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
GB2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I find braid is harder to backlash then mono.The key to baitcasters is make sure the reel spool tension is set so the spool doesn't over run when you put it in free spool.Also when I cast,I let my thumb very lightly drag the spool.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Use mono. It is cheaper and easier to get backlashes out of. 4-6 lb test is really light. I’d start with about 10 lb test which will be a little easier to control and will hold up to pulling backlases out without breaking. When I teach people, depending on the size of the reel and rod combo, I start them with a 1/2 to 1 oz weight, tied directly to the line (like a bank weight for example). No hooks, no lures, just the weight. Wind at your back, in a field or somewhere you have clear casting room without snags. There should be a spool tension adjust knob on the right side of the reel in line with the spool arbor (assuming the reel handle is on the right hand side), and some reels will also have an adjustment on the left side as well (sometimes magnetic or centrifugal), but not always. For a very new beginner, you wasnt to adjust the spool tension until the weight falls slowly from the rod tip and doesnt overrun when it hits the ground. Tighter if need be, but until you get the feel for it, looser will likely result in a backlash (overrun).

When you get ready to cast, hold your thumb on the spool, disengage the reel (freespool), bring the rod back and cast. What you want to feel is to almost drag your thumb against the spool as the line goes out. Too much pressure and no line goes out. Too little and youll backlash it when the weight hits the ground or water. Youre basically controlling the speed of the spool while letting line go out. I normally tell new casters to try to slow down and stop the spool before the weight hits the ground/water, even if you have to stop it short for a while until you get the hang of it. Pressure on the spool should be greatest when starting and stopping your cast. Too much pressure and the weight doesnt go very far and stops abruptly. Too little and the reel will backlash when the weight lands. Practice this until you can smoothly cast and slow the spool when the weight lands without backlashing.

Then, when you start to have a feel for it, slightly loosen the spool tension and repeat until you get to the point of the spool t ension being light or non existent and you are able to slightly wiggle the spool side to side in the frame (pretty much zero spool tension), with the spool controlled only by your thumb. When you have that down, go with a lighter weight and learn to cast that, then learn casting into the wind, which is probably the hardest thing to do with light weight and a baitcaster. Also watch some youtube videos, which will also help.

Dont give up and keep at it until you get the feel of controlling the speed the spool turns at. Once youre good, you’ll never lose it.

Good luck.

Last edited by Capt_Craig; 02/28/19.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Capt Craig gave you the right info. Particularly about the line weight. A good way to begin fishing is with a softer 10 lb mono line for fishing because you will adjust the tension frequently for weight you are casting and how you've learned. When you are fishing a single lure of a single weight is not likely to be what you stick with. Plan on frequent backlashes and just keep on casting. It does take a while to get good at it If you have someone who uses a bait caster all the time they can set the reel for one bait with a couple of casts and make your life easier.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Make sure you are using the proper line weight and the proper rod rating for the lure you are casting.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
IC B2

L
LouisB Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
I thought this had not gone through, did NOT realize I sent it to Salt Water.
I am using 340 and 175 grain rejects, starting with the 340s.
If the Moderator is so inclined this should probably posted there instead of here.

Sunny but 36 for a high today so not going out i the pasture to practice til it warms up.
Did send some pellets down range today.

Funny I have 3 different kinds of Crosman's that do not perform well on paper, these new (4th) Domes are the only ones that shoot decent groups.
TSC stocks them of all places and I got the last tin they had on the rack. They were out two weeks ago also.
You would think that would be a hint to whoever orders stock.

Last edited by LouisB; 03/04/19.

~ MOLON LABE ~
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Wet your line on the spool first, use techniques mentioned above. Start short, work longer as you get more confident. Then let let the F'er fly, most backlashes with mono are easy to pick out.

How do you know a Trump hater? They'll tell you.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
IME heavier mono is easier to cast but you'll lose a little distance. As said above it's also easier to pick out backlashes. I'd go with 10, 12 or 14 lb Trilene XL. Not that expensive and I've found it casts about as well or better than a lot of brands.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
I used 20lb mono with a heavy weight and tightened it up to slow the spool down. Didn't cast very far at first but as I go the hang of how to cast without getting backlash, I loosened up the spool tension and then switched to lighter line and lighter weight. Didn't take long to learn that way and all the practice helped me with my accuracy and learning how to "ease" the lure into the target with gentle thumb tension.....

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
L
LouisB Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Fairly decent today so I went out and tried 50 casts or so.
Only one "cut the line out" backlash.
I was trying for accuracy/control rather than distance.
I'm thinking 100 casts every time I get to practice . . .

AGAIN accuracy/control over distance

~ MOLON LABE ~
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
learn to sling it underhand too...

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
L
LouisB Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
So far "all" of my casting has been side arm.

Went to youtube and found a video on clearing birds nest easily.
Tried one overhand cast and the techniques in the birds nest clearing video were put to good use.
Previously I would likely have used scissors or a knife as it was pretty balled up.
I would would love to see a birds nest forming in really slow motion.
Makes no sense to me.

The 340 Grain projie is going to get replaced with 175 grainer next session (likely rained out tomorrow from the forecast).

Somehow I think the lighter weight will be more difficult.

~ MOLON LABE ~
L
LouisB Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
I have two reels and one was filled with braid when I got it.
Well I decided to try it though not sure how dragging braid across the pasture is for line life.
Well as it got better, I decided I was in for a really long cast to end the day.
Holy mackerel look at that mess!
I learned that one of those brass fillers in the old style ball point pen makes a beautiful birds nest "picker".
Pick, pick, gentle pull, pluck, pluck and poof no ore tangle.
In the past I would have done it faster with a knife at the cost of a "lot" of line.
Thanks to all here, you have got properly me started, now just a few thousand casts and will have gotten a good go at it.

~ MOLON LABE ~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Louis,

Your cast with a baitcaster should be high and have a lot of arch to it so that the spool inertia runs out before the lure hits the water.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by LouisB
Went to youtube and found a video on clearing birds nest easily.

Link?

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
L
LouisB Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
I'm looking, but you know how hard it is to find a site when it was an accidental find the first time

~ MOLON LABE ~
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
There are 2 kinds of backlashes ( start of cast & end of cast) . The brake controls the cast at the very start, which is the fastest spool speed. The spool tension controls the end of cast, where the spool is still turning fast when the lure stops. Set the spool tension to the point that when holding the rod level with a lure (without hooks) that you might fish with. Disengage the spool allowing it to free fall, adjust tension till spool stops when lure hits ground, might take a couple of tries. To set brakes adjust according to weight of lures you think you will be using, heavy lures max brakes. The heavy brake set up will shorten your distance but the thumb will become educated and you will be able to go lighter on the brakes. Depending on which type of brake your reel has ( Magnetic or mechanical) will determine how quick & easy it is to set the brake. Mechanical type means pulling side cover off and adding or eliminating small hollow plastic tubes. Most reels come with an assortment of plastic tubes of different sizes. If there is only 2 tubes, make sure both are the same size, larger tubes will make it easier to start learning to cast. If more than 2 tubes, you should be able to lock opposing pairs so that they slide or do not slide. Magnetic brakes simply adjust from the outside, with more magnetic force meaning more control over the initial spool start speed but again less distance. Quality of the reel can affect all of the factors in backlashes!!!!!

Remember accuracy of cast is far more important than distance.

Last edited by DLALLDER; 03/23/19.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
practice and more practice a side benefit will be learning to get backlashes out.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by stxhunter
practice and more practice a side benefit will be learning to get backlashes out.

And Practice!!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I learned by practicing in the backyard with a Garcia 5000. Trilene XL is your friend. 15 to 17 lb test is easy to cast and easier to pick out the birds nest. Hold the rod horizontal, handles pointing up or down, thumb on the spool, put it in free spool and remove your thumb. Set the brake so the spool stops turning when the weight touches the ground. Practice short casts and work for accuracy. Don't cast into the wind. Learn to cast with both hands, you will be glad you did latter.

My fishing mentor would not let me use a baitcaster in his boat until I could hit a skoal can floating in the water with the lure. Just learn to pick out the back lash. Accidents happen and we all get a bird's nest occasionally.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
463 members (1Longbow, 160user, 300jimmy, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 257 mag, 46 invisible), 2,095 guests, and 987 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,595
Posts18,398,143
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023
<

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.