Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I buy all my partitions at Shooters Pro Shop and simply wait till the partition is on sale, then buy 250 of that specific bullet.
Easy-Peasy, and less money than any cup and core on a retail shelf.

“Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.”
--- Will Rogers
GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Old_Crab
I buy all my partitions at Shooters Pro Shop and simply wait till the partition is on sale, then buy 250 of that specific bullet.

What he said.

Before we moved to Alaska my wife and I shot a lot of whitetail and mule deer with 150 and 165 grain Partitions in a 308, 30-06 and 300 H&H. We never recovered a bullet.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Exactly. Anyone who does otherwise is a damn fool and wasteful with their money..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I've long considered a 165 gr Nosler Partition to be a superb all-around big game bullet from 308 or 30-06 cartridges.

Guy

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Exactly. Anyone who does otherwise is a damn fool and wasteful with their money..

Same here. I do run outta them at odd times and end up buying a box or two until I can stock back up though.

Originally Posted by Cascade
I've long considered a 165 gr Nosler Partition to be a superb all-around big game bullet from 308 or 30-06 cartridges.

Guy

I’m monkeying around with the 168 Barnes right now but if those don’t pan out I’m moving to the 165 Partitions next.

Semper Fi
IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
168 Nosler bt works great on deer.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
[Insert name brand of every pointy, expanding .30 cal 150+gr bullet ever] work fine on deer in all three cartridges mentioned.150 gr Partitions are inexpensive enough through SPS to be my default bambi bullet. They're mostly used at well under 100 yds in a 308. Someday I hope to recover one from a whitetail.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by lone wolf
168 Nosler bt works great on deer.

No kidding! I use the 165 gr version, and it's been excellent on way more than just deer for me! Those Ballistic Tips are terrific.

Guy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No real complaints but some may consider it an issue. I've taken two elk with 180 grain partitions that punched a right side rib going in and never touched the interior surface of the off side body cavity. Slugs obviously exploded not making it past the interior organs. Cause might have been due to the 30-378 launching them just a few units short of 3,500 fps.

Neither bull complained though.

Last edited by 1minute; 03/10/19.

1Minute
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Have a friend who shot an incoming brown bear with a 150 from a .300 Weatherby, and evidently the bullet came apart. That happened on Kodiak Island, and he had loads with 200-grain Partitions along for brown bears, but also was hunting blacktails, and the bear came in after he shot a buck.

Have shot a bunch of big game with 200-grain Partitions in cartridges from the .30-06 to .300 Weatherby, including pronghorn and whitetail does and big bull elk. Have yet to find the velocity where they don't open, or come apart.

That said, hard to beat the 165 in any .30 from the .300 Savage to .30-06.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by 1minute
No real complaints but some may consider it an issue. I've taken two elk with 180 grain partitions that punched a right side rib going in and never touched the interior surface of the of side body cavity. Slugs obviously exploded not making it past the interior organs. Cause might have been due to the 30-378 launching them just a few units short of 3,500 fps.

Neither bull complained though.

Would 3 more inches of penetration and another hole made them any deader?

Youper Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
With reasonable shots I've get exit wounds from Hornady Interlock and even Remington Corlokt, so I'm not looking for a new bullet. I was just curious about whatever the practical difference was between these three bullet weights in my application. I thought there would be none, and that seems to be the consensus. I asked because I thought maybe the lighter 150 gr. would have a better wound channel due to higher velocity, but maybe it doesn't.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
What's a "better" wound channel?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The thing I believe about the partition is two fold.
1. They are not boat tailed.

2. The back of them are open to the lead core.

It is my belief these features may make it a better bullet for vintage firearms with suspect crowns on the barrel.

I have found their Terminal performance stellar, in the 3006 , 308, 7 08.

Last edited by Angus1895; 03/10/19.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Youper Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
What's a "better" wound channel?

More surface area on the permanent channel.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If it's a long wound channel that's desired, then heavy and slow is the answer. A BPCR 500+ grain slug at 1,300 fps can run through 20+ gallon jugs filled with water. A 300 Win, Rem, Weatherby with 180's will do 3 or 4.

Last edited by 1minute; 03/10/19.

1Minute
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Have a friend who shot an incoming brown bear with a 150 from a .300 Weatherby, and evidently the bullet came apart. That happened on Kodiak Island, and he had loads with 200-grain Partitions along for brown bears, but also was hunting blacktails, and the bear came in after he shot a buck.

Have shot a bunch of big game with 200-grain Partitions in cartridges from the .30-06 to .300 Weatherby, including pronghorn and whitetail does and big bull elk. Have yet to find the velocity where they don't open, or come apart.

That said, hard to beat the 165 in any .30 from the .300 Savage to .30-06.

I'm betting your friend's initials are T.W.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Windfall
Early on I thought that the Nosler Partition was the be all end all for a hunting bullet and killed lots of deer with a .300 WM, 7mm RM, .308 and 7mm-08 all using NP's. Sure there was always a dead deer and a couple of elk at the end of the trail, but fading light and minimal blood trails from that front half of the bullet completely folded back on itself had me switching to standard Core-Lokts, Interlocks and SST's. My biggest buck took a .308 165 Interlock broadside and the blood trail was amazing starting only a few yards from where the deer stood. The last one with an SST was a DRT and that never happened with a NP. I had too many where did he go moments with nothing but scuffed leaves or a direction to go to find the animal for me to ever use another NP on a deer. NP's are still a good bullet, just not a great one for just deer.

I'll take two holes, small or not, over just one, which is what I got with a Hornady 130gr IL on an average buck hit at about 40 yards. The lungs were total soup, but he swapped ends and ran about 150 yards leaving no blood at all, just a clump of hair that blew off the other side of his ribs when the bullet bounced off. I found the bullet, perfectly mushroomed, in the blood puddle inside him, but only my ability to track him through the leaves sans any blood allowed me to find him.

Dead deer, perfect mushroom, and a lot of personal anxiety until I found him.

What fresh Hell is this?
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Youper
I've never used Nosler Partitions. For whitetail deer at distances under 100 yards is there any practical difference between the 150 gr., 165 gr., and 180 gr. when used in 300 Savage, 308 Winchester, and .30-'06? From my understanding of the bullet design the wouldn't be, but maybe I'm missing something.

If this is relatively strict then trajectory isn't going to be much of an issue for any reasonable launch speed. The front end of the Partition is designed for ready expansion. I've loaded the 125 Partition for a friend's short barreled 260 Rem and the exit wounds on deer have been really good bleeders. I don't remember the chrono results but the velocities were a good bit below what the same load produced in a 24" barreled Browning Low wall. My theory is the bullet is keeping its mushroom intact and punching a bigger hole on the way out. I say theory because none have been recovered.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Keeping chest hits below the curve helps with the blood trail, as the blood starts leaking out sooner, and doesn't have to drip down through as much hair before hitting the ground. Seconds count here. The two I killed with a crossbow last season were hit a bit high and went a ways before leaving anything but tracks (if you call kicked up leaves tracks!)

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 163bc, 16Racing, 1badf350, 57 invisible), 2,488 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,674
Posts18,456,072
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.