Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Just getting back into hand loading after a 40 year hiatus. Calibers will be 25-06AI, 264 Win Mag, 26 Nosler, 270WSM, 300WSM, probably a few other, eventually. Press is a Forster Co-Ax. I don't compete, but I want to make the best ammo I reasonably can.

I've read that Redding dies are generally well-regarded, and so that is what I was going to buy. But, holy cow, there are a bunch of different options with Redding dies: Standard, Premium, Type S, Competition, Match . . . ? I checked the Redding website, and except for telling me how wonderful each type of die is, there was little real information.

Can someone explain to me the functional differences and advantages/disadvantages with each category of Redding die?

TIA

HR IC

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Pull up the Midway USA site and look under reloading components and under dies. It will explain it better than Redding did and better than I can. You really don't need more than the standard 2 die FL set. The carbide expander ball is a nice option.

Last edited by lightman; 03/02/19.

lightman
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I'm a fan of the type S bushing neck dies although not everyone needs or wants to spend that kind of money.

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Type S is made in both full length sizers and neck sizers and take bushings to size the neck.

Competition micrometer seaters have a floating chamber that holds the case and bullet in better alignment.

The Type S two die sets include a bushing FL sizer and the competition micrometer seater. (Most popular for rifles.)

The Type S three die sets include a bushing neck die, a body die and a competition micrometer seater.

They also sell a micrometer top for their standard seater die, a micrometer Type S sizing die and a micrometer taper crimp die that kinda confuses guys just starting into the Redding stuff.

Premium Series die sets (black box) have the standard seater with a micrometer top and a carbide button in the standard sizer.

Last edited by Higbean; 03/02/19.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I know you want to go with redding, but I would strongly encourage you to get Forster dies. The expander button can be set just below the neck so that part of the neck is still in the die as the bottom of the neck begins to engage the expander button. It makes for very straight case becks and their standard seating dies already accomodates VLD type pointed bullets. You will have to go with a premium expensive REDDING die set to get that type of seater or order a separate match grade seating stem. Plus, with Forster dies, you will get the matching die lock rings that fit your press perfectly. Just my 2 cents.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I've switched to Redding full length type s bushing size dies and the Redding Competition seater die for almost all the rifle cartridges I load for. For me that combination consistently loads very concentric ammo. There are a few cartridges that I'm using the Hornady full length bushing die and Hornady competition seating die with almost the same results. The main difference between the dies is how the neck is sized and how much support the case and bullet have in the seating die. IMO regardless of which type of die you use buy high quality consistent brass. The best dies in the world cant make up for bad brass.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I run Hybrid setups. Forster Micrometer seater and Redding Type S full length bushing die. I also pull the expander ball and use mandrels.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
If you want a one and done option. The new Master Hunter dies are pretty nice.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I have to agree in reference to Foster Die's... Their Bushing bump die's load the best rounds I have ever shot in my .308, 30-06, 6.5 x 55 ... I also use the their Co-Ax press and seating die's - wish they made one in 280 ackley..

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by shinbone
Just getting back into hand loading after a 40 year hiatus. Calibers will be 25-06AI, 264 Win Mag, 26 Nosler, 270WSM, 300WSM, probably a few other, eventually. Press is a Forster Co-Ax. I don't compete, but I want to make the best ammo I reasonably can.

I've read that Redding dies are generally well-regarded, and so that is what I was going to buy. But, holy cow, there are a bunch of different options with Redding dies: Standard, Premium, Type S, Competition, Match . . . ? I checked the Redding website, and except for telling me how wonderful each type of die is, there was little real information.

Can someone explain to me the functional differences and advantages/disadvantages with each category of Redding die?

TIA

In the chamberings cited,Bushing Dies are moot...simply because the brass sucks.

Hint................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B3

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Shinbone,

My preferred combo is a Redding body die, Lee collet die and a Forster Micrometer seating die. Produces really straight ammo and is pretty economical too. If you don’t want to do a separate body and neck sizing operation then substitute the body and collet die with a Forster FL sizer that has had the neck honed (by Forster) to your specified diameter.

The Redding type s dies are nice, as are their match seaters but I have a Redding “Premium” set that produces the most runout of any dies I have ever used.

As someone stated above, the position of the expander in Forster FL dies makes a noticeable difference in how straight the cases come out. I’m not aware of another die manufacturer that uses this approach. Having the neck honed to your specified dimensions works the brass much less and adds to case life and aids in the expander not pulling necks out of alignment as well.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Same shellholder?

Shellholders run the gamut,in their relative Straightitude.

I index same,to a given press...so as to reduce runout.

Hint.............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Using a Forster CoAx with the shell holder that comes with it.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Hondo - what does the Lee collet die provide for you?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Roger.

I tend to segregate shellholders for sizing/seating duties and priming chores as well...as I do NOT like to prime on a press(Dillon or otherwise).

Hint.............

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by shinbone
Hondo - what does the Lee collet die provide for you?

It’s a neck sizing die that doesn’t overwork the brass and makes very straight ammo. Because it uses a mandrel it forces any irregularities to the outside of the case neck. Also requires no lube.

John

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Roger.

I tend to segregate shellholders for sizing/seating duties and priming chores as well...as I do NOT like to prime on a press(Dillon or otherwise).

Hint.............

Roger. With the CoAx, I just use their universal shell holder for everything except priming. I use an RCBS bench primer for that.

John

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I hand prime,because I like to feel what's going on...................

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Big Stick
I hand prime,because I like to feel what's going on...................

I use an old, and I believe discontinued bench top RCBS. I get good feel with it using only the tip of my thumb to depress the lever.

Like this:

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They suck too.

Hint............

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
850 members (12344mag, 12308300, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 83 invisible), 3,242 guests, and 1,328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,710
Posts18,400,195
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.