Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Been kicking around getting a new AR and this one caught my eye. DPMS Sweet 16.
Anyone have one of these that can give a review?
Would plan on putting a 1.5x4 on it. Something a little different then The AR I currently have.

ARIC

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm far from being an expert on AR's but from what I have read DPMS QC is lacking sometimes. By that you will either get a good one or get a bad one.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Yea I’ve read that too. But I also read that same thing about a lot of other manufacturers too. Rock River, Windham Weaponry, PSA.
It’s like Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It's entirely true, they've had a handful of rifles get out, among thousands and thousands made, that had some QC issues. Those to which I was privy, DPMS took quick and full responsibility and remedied the issues as soon as was reasonably possible.

Anything mass produced will have lemons get out. It's what the company does on the flip side WHEN it happens that matters. Some will tell the end user to pound sand. They rarely stick around.

Others will take care of the customer. Theirs are the names that become an industry standard.

DPMS is good juju. One can of course do better, but one can also do *FAR* worse.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As for reviews, while I don't personally currently own any DPMS whole rifles, here's a few:

http://forum.snipershide.com/threads/dpms-sweet-16-accuracy.12096/

https://rugerforum.net/rifles/114284-dpms-panther-sweet-16-a.html

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I built two of them. from a crap load of parts I had laying around.

I like the balance and feel of them along with the added weight.

To some, the added extra weight might be to much some how....but I really like it as it holds steady well and hardly moves......keep that in mind.

Its very fun to shoot......perfect...for me that is.....truck gun/pig gun.

Ordered the barrel from Grafs and sons. full bull 1x9 16"
Fixed A2 stock.
Stag lower I bought years and years ago
some unnamed .....Flat top
DPMS's rifle length free float tube.
wilson gas block
dpms lower parts kit
Tool Craft bolt carrier group.....from JoeBobs.

keep in mind that all that stuff to build both of them was on sale....so there is that.

Do they actually shoot.....yes both "sweet" 16's do very well.
I absolutely love them....due to the aesthetics I mentioned above.....

Just goofing around with them on the first day to just test for function...........easily hits 200 yard steel 3" target. Using a crappy AIM fixed 4x scope....$20 job from amazon...
This is with absolutely no load development as this is my all around load for several AR's.

My plinking handloads are running TAC 23grains and a 55 grain Hornady with cannular. Easy pig load.

Best
HeavyDove

Last edited by HeavyDove; 03/05/19.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by armedferret
It's entirely true, they've had a handful of rifles get out, among thousands and thousands made, that had some QC issues. Those to which I was privy, DPMS took quick and full responsibility and remedied the issues as soon as was reasonably possible.

Anything mass produced will have lemons get out. It's what the company does on the flip side WHEN it happens that matters. Some will tell the end user to pound sand. They rarely stick around.

Others will take care of the customer. Theirs are the names that become an industry standard.

DPMS is good juju. One can of course do better, but one can also do *FAR* worse.

Don't think it's just a handful.

Everytime I mess with something DPMS something is out of spec.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

like what?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Last Xmas I asked the same question and received more negatives than positives concerning DPMS.

I went with a S&W M&P Sport II when Tombstone Tactical had them for a little under $550 OTD after the first of the year. A week later I found a nice used Stag 15 M4 for $600 OTD. Happy I went with the alternative.

Whom the gods wish to destroy they first make mad.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A

like what?

DPMS mags I have, out of spec, won't lock open in any rifle.
DPMS barrel nut wouldn't snug up to a Troy Alpha rail. Replaced it with a Delton and it snugged right up.
Dads neighbors DPMS .308 is a total pile of crap. Way over gassed. It uses a non-standard buffer tube with a short buffer weight, so you can't even change out the buffer weight to tune the system. I never could get it to run, not sure if he even installed an adjustable gas block like I suggested.
Buddies upper, better back you loads off a full grain. It says 5.56 on the barrel, but shows pressure like a .223.

They just have this habit of trying to be a bit too cute with their specs. That's why DPMS stands for Doesn't [bleep] Meet Standards.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

IC B3

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
I'd definitely buy PSA before considering DPMS, just based on my own experiences with both. That's not just about DPMS parts being out of spec (which I've encountered a fair number), but also the way they look and feel, a lot of it makes me think of cheap 90's era AR parts. (To be fair I have not worked with the G2, and would consider one of those an exception because I like the concept.)

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Yondering
I'd definitely buy PSA before considering DPMS, just based on my own experiences with both. That's not just about DPMS parts being out of spec (which I've encountered a fair number), but also the way they look and feel, a lot of it makes me think of cheap 90's era AR parts. (To be fair I have not worked with the G2, and would consider one of those an exception because I like the concept.)

At least one member here bought a G2 and had horrible results. Over gassed, wouldn't extract.

I'd considered buying one until I saw the threads on his train wreck.....

Perhaps the OP of the G2 thread would be kind enough to post a link to it?

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 03/05/19.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by Yondering

At least one member here bought a G2 and had horrible results. Over gassed, wouldn't extract.

I'd considered buying one until I saw the threads on his train wreck.....

Perhaps the OP of the G2 thread would be kind enough to post a link to it?

Yeah I do remember that, and have read others too. If I bought a G2 it'd be with eyes wide open and full expectation of needing to tune it myself. But I have the equipment and ability to do that. My comment was not intended to imply that the G2 is good to go, it's still a DPMS. I just like the concept but expect the execution to be somewhat flawed.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Well I went an entirely different route. I just ordered a PSA upper and lower.
Cheaper then I had planned and I figured I could use the extra cash for a decent drop in trigger.
I have a Velocity 3lb in the AR I already have, a PSA upper with a parts lower. It’s a good trigger for the price, but there is some creep. I hope it’s a good one.
PSA 18" Rifle Length .223 Wylde 1/7 Stainless Steel 15" Lightweight M-lok Upper With BCG, CH, & MBUS Sight Set - 516446673
PSA AR-15 Complete Lower - EPT Magpul CTR Edition - Black, No Magazine - 5165447862

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
DPMS is owned by Cerberus group, but its immediate owner is Remington. Remington is the worst gun company in the world. That is all your need to know.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by jimmyp
DPMS is owned by Cerberus group, but its immediate owner is Remington. Remington is the worst gun company in the world. That is all your need to know.

DPMS had problems way before they were purchased by Remington/Cerberus.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by HeavyLoad
Cheaper then I had planned and I figured I could use the extra cash for a decent drop in trigger.
I have a Velocity 3lb in the AR I already have, a PSA upper with a parts lower. It’s a good trigger for the price, but there is some creep. I hope it’s a good one.
PSA 18" Rifle Length .223 Wylde 1/7 Stainless Steel 15" Lightweight M-lok Upper With BCG, CH, & MBUS Sight Set - 516446673
PSA AR-15 Complete Lower - EPT Magpul CTR Edition - Black, No Magazine - 5165447862

Congratulations. I suspect you will like it. I'm looking forward to your field report.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by HeavyLoad

That seems like a pretty good choice, and IMO a nicer rifle than the DPMS you were considering.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a DPMS lower I bought at least 10 years ago and I used a DPMS lower kit from Brownells to finish it. I recently bought an A2 upper for a future build. I pinned the upper and lower together and they fit like they were made from the same piece of aluminum, in reality the upper and lower were made years apart from each other. I'm not seeing that "out of spec" issue others are. But, mine is a sample of 2 parts and a lower kit. I guess I have taken worse gambles.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
In the early 2000s, DPMS was a source for proper spec’d replacement parts for out of spec Colt parts, on US Army M4s. Truly. As far as last 5-10 years, I’m not sure if DPMS has kept up with that. I just haven’t used much of their stuff at all.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
690 members (257 roberts, 10gaugemag, 222Sako, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 222ND, 75 invisible), 2,775 guests, and 1,326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,628
Posts18,398,765
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.