Page 1 of 2 1 2
#13643262 03/10/19
J
JMR40 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
Pretty sure I want to buy one before next fall, but the more I research them the more confused I get. I've been driving 4X4 trucks and SUV's since 1976 and managed without one. When younger we'd get together and hit challenging trails just for fun. If someone got in trouble there was lots of help to pull you out. With a truck that would cost $40,000 to replace I don't play off road any more. Today that is what the $3000 ATV is for.

Today I'm more likely to be alone out hunting on a farm road or forest service road. Both can get bad in the right conditions. Last fall I slid into a ditch on a forest service road but was able to drive out after a few tries. Almost got stuck trying to turn around in deep snow on a forest service road too. Was on my own both times and feel a winch would be a good idea.

It's going on a 2014 F150 supercrew. The truck with a cap on it weighs 6000 lbs and normally isn't loaded heavy. Will a 9,000-10,000 lb winch be enough, or should I pay a bit more for 12,000 lbs? I don't plan to go out and bury it frame deep in mud holes playing around. Just to get out of a ditch or muddy spot on a farm road. I'd probably be more likely to use it to pull others out and using a winch has to be safer and easier on both vehicles than using a tow strap.

Is synthetic rope worth $150 more than steel cable? I'm leaning toward steel cable as being good enough for my uses.

It won't get a lot of hard use, maybe never be needed. But I want one that is dependable enough to know it will work if it is needed. A Warn will cost $600-$800 and I trust the brand. One dealer recommended Smitybilt as good enough for my uses and they would run $450-$600. And I have a couple of friends with the Harbor Freight 12,000 lb winches that swear by them. I have a 20% off coupon and could get the 12K winch for about $320.

The bigger question is how/where to mount it. I don't really want to put big bucks into an aftermarket bumper. I'm torn between behind the front bumper, or using a receiver hitch. The idea of being able to use it front or back and take it off when not needed is appealing. But there are negatives to that approach too. My truck has the 5.0 V8, so behind the bumper is an option. Not so with the 3.5 EB engines.

Looking for advice

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
GB2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I have a 9000 # Warn on my 98 Dodge Cummins .The truck alone weighs about 8000 #'s and this winch does the job. I was once stuck on greasy mud with a 20 ft gooseneck empty trailer. I was able to use the winch to keep from sliding sideways as I made it to the hard pan, with the winch assisting the wheels.

I keep wanting to buy the synthetic rope, but never seem to get around to it.My winch weighs just shy of 100 pounds with steel cable and mounted on a receiver stub.That synthetic would take 30 pounds off it.

My advice. Use a front frame mounted receiver hitch so you can take the winch on and off and have it so you can also mount it on the rear receiver hitch. Wire up both front and rear with a heavy duty disconnect plug and match the winch power cable to i.t Make sure each is receiver rated to at least what the winch is rated at. I don't think you want a 10,000 # pulling capability on a Ford 150 . Something is going to give besides what you are pulling.

I use my winch mostly for pulling trees or logs of f roads, moving some wheeled equipment and such.Hardly ever from getting unstuck. These heavy diesel front ends,you learn to be a little more picky about where you take them.

Here is how mine is mounted on my truck.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by saddlesore; 03/10/19.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
My advice. Use a front frame mounted receiver hitch so you can take the winch on and off and have it so you can also mount it on the rear receiver hitch. Wire up both front and rear with a heavy duty disconnect plug and match the winch power cable to i.t Make sure each is receiver rated to at least what the winch is rated at. I don't think you want a 10,000 # pulling capability on a Ford 150 . Something is going to give besides what you are pulling.
That's very sound advice. If you drive into a mess, the last place you want to go is farther into the mess. You need to put the winch on the rear to get the hell out of there.

About that rope vs steel cable...if you're in a foot of mud and need to move the winch from front to rear, staggering along with a 100lb winch in your hands isn't fun. It's bad enough with the rope and a 70lb winch. I suppose you could carry a sled of some kind to drag it on.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I have wanted a winch for some time now and have never been able to pull the trigger for various reasons, one being I have yet to find a mounting system for my 2002 Super Duty truck that I like.

I did purchase a "Wyeth-Scott More Power Puller" which is rated for 6000# dead lift and rated to drag 12,000#. The good thing about is you can use it front or rear, pull sideways or actually lift the vehicle to place something under the wheels if you fan get a rope on a high tree limb. And of course it can be used around the home, farm or camp for lots of uses.

https://www.wyeth-scott.com

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Most recently just bought a Smittybuilt 9500 w/steel rope.....going on my '14 Tacoma......

weight is one thing to consider.......synthetic rope model will be 35# lighter......or so

For my application.....I'm adding an ARB full replacement bumper/bull bar....pics when installed (soon)

My problem....will/may have to beef up front coils to compensate for the added 175#....

Picked up my winch from Amazon....$270 shipped

ARB pic......

https://www.smittybilt.com/gen2_winches.html

[Linked Image]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

IC B2

J
JMR40 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
Thanks for the tips. Going to a 9000-10000 lb winch with synthetic rope would almost offset the cost of a 12,000 lb winch and steel cable. Mounted behind the bumper the added weight of the steel cable isn't as big of a problem. But I can see where it might be helpful if moving it around. Looking online I see a Warn 8000 lb winch with rope that only weighs 53 lbs. Figure 10-15 lbs or so lbs for the mount.

It seems that the winch is mounted pretty low on the front receiver. Is this ever a problem, or am I over thinking this.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I have never had a problem with the winch on the Dodge. I have a new Chevy 20500 HD though and it has a BIG LOW Air Dam on the front.I might have to do without a winch or get one that hooks onto the tow hooks when I need it.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

ARB.......from Australia builds/designs kick azz full bumper winch ready systems

Air bag compatible also

https://www.arbusa.com/bumpers-protection-equipment-3/

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

J
JMR40 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
My Ford has/had 2 plastic air dams. The one that was the lowest was easy to take off, just 2 bolts and the owners manual said to remove for off road driving. The second one isn't low enough to be in the way and the youtube video's I've seen on mounting a front receiver hitch shows cutting a notch in it for the receiver. The pic of the one on your Dodge doesn't look too low. Need to find some pics of one on a Ford.

I like the looks of the ARB bumpers. But I'm trying to do this at minimal cost.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Synthetic cable is the way to go, IMO. Much lighter, and easier to handle, although easy to fray or cut if you don’t use a tree saver. Added bonus is that it floats, nice when you’re winching yourself or someone else out of a creek.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

IC B3

J
JMR40 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
You've convinced me that it is worth the cost to go with synthetic and that I'll probably be fine with something in the 9000-10,000 lb range. I've still not decided on which mount is best, or if I need to pay the difference to go with a Warn winch over Smittybilt.

Thinking this might work but it doesn't have the roller fairlead. It seems all with steel cable do, those with synthetic don't. How important is that?

https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/smitt...h-aluminum-fairlead-98495/_/R-DSBP-98495

Or pay almost $300 more for an 8000 lb Warn

https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/warn-vr8-s-gen-ii-8000lb-winch-96805/_/R-BCSQ-96805

There is one of these stores about an hour away, but I can get free shipping on either and there is no tax on the Smittybilt which will save another $30.

Last edited by JMR40; 03/10/19.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
it doesn't have the roller fairlead. It seems all with steel cable do, those with synthetic don't. How important is that?
I don't have any 1st hand experience but supposedly a roller fairlead will cause excessive wear on a rope.

― George Orwell

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Synthetic rope models have the 'Hawse' fairlead........

Don't over look Summit Racing and/or Amazon for good pricing

https://www.summitracing.com/

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
For the uses you describe, I'd think you'd be happy with a 8-10K winch. I've done a lot of stuff with my 8K Warn, unstuck a 12K forklift a few times, pulled my skid steer out of a couple of good holes, etc. I've also stalled it when I got the toyota stuck deep enough...

There is no way I could do the removable/hitch mounted deal. I'd never have it when I needed it. I'd go behind the bumper.

I was all excited about the synthetic rope thing until my buddies talked me out of it. They had broken lots of synthetic and all switched back to steel. I left the steel on my Warn. It can be a painful reminder to wear gloves, but it hasn't broken on me.

Last year I added a 4K winch to the back of the toyota. Its a tiny little thing that I added mainly to run a gin pole setup, but I used it a bit as just a winch. It came with synthetic rope and a wireless remote and it was like $150 on ebay. Applied with a little judgement, it will pull the yota out of pretty good mud hole. Haven't broken the rope yet, but have not abused it either. Wireless remote is so handy I am planning to get one for the other winch. Something to think about.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by cwh2; 03/12/19.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
[quote=cwh2
There is no way I could do the removable/hitch mounted deal. I'd never have it when I needed it. I'd go behind the bumper.
[/quote]

There is no reason you have to take it off if you don't want to.It' is only more versatile.Front mount behind the bumper and you lose the capability to pull from the back.

J
JMR40 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
Lots of good advice here and I appreciate the voice of experience. But this is how I'm leaning for now based on what I've learned in the last week.

The only real advantage I can see of synthetic rope is the lighter weight which would be a plus for a winch moved around. I was leaning that way for a receiver mount used on both front and rear. But there are negatives. It costs more and doesn't last as long. It is more easily cut when in use. It is also is weakened by sunlight and heat. Both concerns here in GA. I know it is safer if it breaks, but steel cable has been used for years and if common sense is used shouldn't be a problem.

If I were pulling the trigger today I'd buy this and mount it behind the bumper. It is 78 lbs, but it wouldn't be moved.

https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/smittybilt-xrc-9-5k-waterproof-9500lb-winch-gen2-97495/_/R-DSBP-97495

And at that price, might well buy a 2nd one at a later time and mount it in a winch carrier that could be used in the rear receiver. The total cost of 2 with steel cable would cost about $100 more than 1 with synthetic rope. The 2nd one could also be used in the rear hitch of my older Tacoma and could be stored in the bed until needed. I have fiberglass caps on both.

The front receiver hitch mount has a lot of things that I like, but I'm afraid that on MY truck it would hang too low and protrude too far in front of the truck. The ones I see on 3/4 ton and larger trucks mount higher. And based on what I've read you need an extension to get the winch far enough away from the bumper in many trucks, mine included. I wouldn't leave it mounted there when driving. Just attach it when needed.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by saddlesore
[quote=cwh2

There is no reason you have to take it off if you don't want to.It' is only more versatile.Front mount behind the bumper and you lose the capability to pull from the back.
[/quote]
Not really, just not as easy. They make a roller that mounts below the winch, and the cable will then pass below the vehicle to hook on to something behind. There are drawbacks of course, the effort will get you dirty. The cable is shorter, and the roller is lower and cuts down on your ground clearance. The synthetic rope and cable are the same strength, and interchangeable, but the cable is heavier, and has more weight involved if the cable ever breaks. The rope has much less abrasion resistance, and higher cost.
I will stick with cable, as I can cut and fit it myself, and at a discount.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Had my ARB bumper installed yesterday......a buddy....a good buddy did the work.......

undisclosed cash & Bud Lite payment........7 hours......winch & lights included

I figured if I were installing a winch ready bumper...might as well install a winch.......right ?

So I went cheap....Smittybuilt steel rope 9500#......pics show the HD ARB bumper...approx 134#

If you are considering a winch ready bumper........think ARB !

Added weight sagged my front coils 1/2"......will soon replace coils with 886 ARBs to support the weight

Truck is '14 Tacoma SBDC.....sorry for the lame in garage pic...honey do busy today......

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by saddlesore

My DD truck needs to allow for a snow plow, needs to allow parking in retarded Anchorage, and needs to let me tow stuff on the weekends. If I ever stick a winch on the front it will be a behind the bumper deal. If I have to pull it off to plow, I'm unlikely to put it on later to most likely not get used and bang into stuff the rest of the time.

My trail rig,
[Linked Image]
I just can't imagine the fun of pulling a winch off the front, slogging it to the back, digging out a spot to allow me to get it into the receiver in the rear and plugging it in, all just to not get where I was going in the first place. Fairly rare here to have a truly "dual purpose" vehicle. There is just very little middle ground between pavement and swamp here IME. I realize that's not the case everywhere, and for some folks the receiver mounted winch makes a lot of sense. It just doesn't for me.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
so, to get the truck backed up, you pull the cable out and snake it under the truck to the rear?

Also, why would anyone drive into that mess to start with?

― George Orwell

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
so, to get the truck backed up, you pull the cable out and snake it under the truck to the rear?

To get to the other side.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kingston
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

To get to the other side.

He's following the chicken.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

good ole '88 ?

sumbitch was stuck eh ?

at least the water was below the seat......... grin

[Linked Image]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I did that kind of stuff with my first truck until I figured out that it wasn't a tank with rubber tires. In my experience if the first mud hole is impassable, there are probably more over on the other side and I'm engaging the brain before I need to pull on the 4wd lever or dig out the winch and shovels. I did have a front and back 2" receiver on my first truck and used a portable Superwinch that mounted off the 2" ball when I needed it, which wasn't that often. I found the front receiver was handier for moving a trailer around into a tight spot, launching a boat at night with the help of the headlights and pulling other people out of similar examples like the one pictured.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Yep, 88.... I got it deeper before I got it out - plenty of stuff got wet smile Sometimes if you want to get to moose camp, the trail in is going to be a bit rough. Although that happened on the way out. I mentioned "judgement" above didn't I?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good deal on Smittybilts right now...Winch

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
I took my 03 Tacoma DC to iron pig in Fredericksburg VA. For a full OME suspension and an ARB bumper. Was set on Warn but they talked me into an engo. 12,000 lb (I know, way Overkill but it was on sale) got it with synthetic which I broke (my fault, long story) then replaced with dyneema. It's saved me a couple times and is near 8 years old now. Been used at least once a year. Can't complain and would by an engo again.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have some heavy dually work trucks in excess of 15,000 at times. They all have ranchand grill guards.

I am wanting to get at least 1 if not 2 mounted with winches. These dual low profile tires absolutely suck in the mud. And wehre we travel and work, a tow bill will be in the multiple thousands of dollars.

I am not sure what direction to go. Don't want to have to replace all the bumpers and grill guards. Thinking if I have at least 2 with winches, I will always have an outfit to come pull the stuck outfit out.

Montana MOFO
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
[Linked Image]

Use the winch on the back of my jeep more thn the one o the front, but they both come in handy.

[Linked Image]

Rio7

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Last month I bought 12000 lb viper brand(Amazon) winch for my 99 2500 4x4 Suburban it’s over 7000 lbs.I believe they recommend 1 1/2 times the weight of towed/winched vehicle, as a minimum. 6000 lb truck 9000 lb winch.

At some point my hobbies became my life.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I have a Viper ATV winch on my Razor. So far, all I've used it for is snowplowing although I did winch the Razor into my pickup just to try it out. It's worked well for that little bit of use. I wasn't aware that it's an Amazon brand though. Who makes it?

― George Orwell

J
JMR40 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
Good deal on Smittybilts right now...Winch

That's the one I'm 99% sure I'm getting. Gotta pay Uncle Sam $1800 next month though and I'm hoping I can still find one at that price in May or June.

S
S
I’ve been super happy with the Warn VR12000 winch, I don’t use it much but it’s be reliable when I have used it and it didn’t cost an arm and leg. The bumper, now that’s a different story for cost.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by ErichTheRed
Last month I bought 12000 lb viper brand(Amazon) winch for my 99 2500 4x4 Suburban it’s over 7000 lbs.I believe they recommend 1 1/2 times the weight of towed/winched vehicle, as a minimum. 6000 lb truck 9000 lb winch.

Just remember that the maximum pull weight (12k on that winch) is only available at the first layer of cable. As the cables stack on top of each other they change the overall drive ratio, reducing max pull weight. Moreover, there's a big difference winching up an incline...in soft conditions.

Hence the 1.5x recommendation.

Hunt Africa while you can
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Plus, even a 4" rock or log in front of a tire is a big obstacle. Try pushing it over one in the driveway. It takes a lot of power to lift the truck even that much.

― George Orwell

J
JMR40 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
My truck, with me and my wife in it along with the cap is 6000 lbs according to the scales at the landfill. 6000 X 1.5= 9000 lbs. I'm looking at 9500 or 10,000 lb winches. That might be the minimum but I don't plan to bury my truck in mud like the photo of the Tacoma earlier. As said earlier the most I expect is to need some help on farm roads or if I slid into a ditch on a muddy or snow covered forest service road. Based on past experience I'm more likely to use it to pull someone else out of a bad spot than myself. While I can see the advantages of being able to mount it on the rear I think I'll be OK on the front. Plus I want to go with the hidden winch mounting to put it behind the bumper. I'm concerned a bigger 12K winch might be too big to work there.

I'll probably buy one this month or next. Will post photos and info here when I do.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
On my 2012 Tundra I have installed a receiver hitch on the front end. Have a 10,000 lb Superwinch mounted in a cradle that can be mounted either fore or aft.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I went ARB bumper also but for the winch I actually found a Warn 8000 or maybe 8500 lb on a parts truck, robbed it of everything I needed and sold the truck so the winch basically cost me nothing. I found this video which was super helpful in troubleshooting and making it work. Overall and enjoyable experience in the wintertime when work is slow. Truck before the winch.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Fireball2; 05/05/19.

LOL
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
659 members (17Fan, 1badf350, 09wingates, 007FJ, 160user, 72 invisible), 2,654 guests, and 1,181 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,603
Posts18,398,309
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.