Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
WOW by some accounts here I guess bowhunters shouldn't be shooting bears. Evidently there are armor plated bears running around. A .357 coming out of a rifle is going to create a lot more blunt force trauma and destruction to vitals than an arrow is. As I said I wouldn't use it on a spot and stalk hunt. But I haven't a single problem using one on baited or bayed bears. Hell I don't even have an issue with using a .357 out of a pistol. A bad shot is a bad shot no matter what you choose to use. Sure more power more bullet mass may save the day. Then again it may not. Shot placement, make a good shot no matter what you are using. Sometimes less is more, if it means you can shoot it better.

Agreed! Shot placement is the key! If I can’t make a good shot, I just don’t take the shot.
And didn’t a famous grizzly guide here on the 24 Hour🔥 kill a big ass brown bear in AK last year while guiding fly fishermen with Buffalo Bore ammo and a lowly 9mm pistol, if my memory serves me correctly? As I recall, he didn’t recommend it, but it worked. 🤠

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
180 hard cast or a jsp with the hottest book load you can find should work.
Out to 125 or 150? IDK.
As already said, be picky and stingy with what you pull the trigger on.

Sean
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by moosemike
I just got a stainless Rossi 92 in 357 magnum that I really like and I'm eager to take it deer hunting. But with our Bear season overlapping with Deer I'm normally hunting both so I'm asking a two part question. First, is it enough out to 125 yards and second, what bullet and what grain?
How do you hunt? From a tree stand?

It's easy to pick a good shot from a tree stand. You usually have all the time in the world and some shooting lanes.

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
Using a 180 cast flat nose (or heavier), I'd have no problems or fears using a 357 lever gun for deer, hogs, bears, elk, moose. Until you've seen it in action, you don't know what the hell you are talking about, and you should likely abstain from offering an ignorant opinion. Of course, feel free to look like an idiot.
The OP was seeking comment and opinion and the comments didn't sound ignorant to me. The gist of the comments is that , yes the .357 rifle will work but it has range and power issues vs. a .30-06 class big game rifle. Most 150-165 grain .30-06 loads produce velocity at over 300 yards that the .357 magnum delivers at the muzzle. It seems that most hunters owning a more capable rifle would use it for big game. Some folks like to use as least effective a weapon as is legal, such as archery. More power to them, but when you seek opinion and get one that is different from yours it doesn't automatically mean the giver is ignorant or an idiot. Most big game hunters that might encounter a bear would use a rifle that produces considerably more energy than a .357 magnum. I wouldn't quit hunting if all I had was a .357 lever rifle and I really don't want to be shot with one, but it has a lot more limitations than the more commonly used big game calibers.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I'd do it.
My daughter shot a buck this past season with a Ruger 77/.357 using 158 XTP FP over 17.5 grn of Lil-gun (1850 fps). Quartering shot and it punched a nice hole all the way through the on-side shoulder and out the back ribs on the other side. That said, I'm keeping an eye out for a doner 77/.44 mag to turn into a .41 Mag. for Dad. grin

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Teeder
I'd do it.
My daughter shot a buck this past season with a Ruger 77/.357 using 158 XTP FP over 17.5 grn of Lil-gun (1850 fps). Quartering shot and it punched a nice hole all the way through the on-side shoulder and out the back ribs on the other side. That said, I'm keeping an eye out for a doner 77/.44 mag to turn into a .41 Mag. for Dad. grin

Henry makes a nice lever 41 Magnum - https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2017/01/jon-wayne-taylor/gun-review-henry-big-boy-steel-41-magnum/

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tyrone
I just got a stainless Rossi 92 in 357 magnum that I really like and I'm eager to take it deer hunting. But with our Bear season overlapping with Deer I'm normally hunting both so I'm asking a two part question. First, is it enough out to 125 yards and second, what bullet and what grain?

It's easy to pick a good shot from a tree stand. You usually have all the time in the world and some shooting lanes.

No. I gave up the trees after a bad fall. I sit on the ground and still hunt.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Region6
I have never shot a bear with the 357. I have shot a few deer with it and they died. I was using 158gr XTP’s and was not impressed with their performance at 50 and 100 yards. That being said, I think 100 yards was to far for the 357. Keep the shot close and in the heart/lung area it will work.

Are we still talking rifles here?
I've killed a bunch of deer with my Marlin .357. Worked about as well as my .30-30 at typical woods ranges. None went over 60 yards with double lung shots and shoulder shots dropped immediately with complete pass through using 158 gr. sp Winchester factory loads and 158 gr. Speer sp over 15 gr's 2400 and 19 grs lil gun. Killed one with a double lung shot at just over 200 yards with the 158 Win factory load and it still was a complete pass through. Deer went down after 40 yard run. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it killing a bear.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by Region6
I have never shot a bear with the 357. I have shot a few deer with it and they died. I was using 158gr XTP’s and was not impressed with their performance at 50 and 100 yards. That being said, I think 100 yards was to far for the 357. Keep the shot close and in the heart/lung area it will work.

Are we still talking rifles here?
I've killed a bunch of deer with my Marlin .357. Worked about as well as my .30-30 at typical woods ranges. None went over 60 yards with double lung shots and shoulder shots dropped immediately with complete pass through using 158 gr. sp Winchester factory loads and 158 gr. Speer sp over 15 gr's 2400 and 19 grs lil gun. Killed one with a double lung shot at just over 200 yards with the 158 Win factory load and it still was a complete pass through. Deer went down after 40 yard run. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it killing a bear.

Good stuff. Thanks

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Put the .357 back in the safe and use a decent caliber you owe it to the bear rather than to use something that is "nearly" a deer caliber at best.

IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Hastings
Using a 180 cast flat nose (or heavier), I'd have no problems or fears using a 357 lever gun for deer, hogs, bears, elk, moose. Until you've seen it in action, you don't know what the hell you are talking about, and you should likely abstain from offering an ignorant opinion. Of course, feel free to look like an idiot.
The OP was seeking comment and opinion and the comments didn't sound ignorant to me. The gist of the comments is that , yes the .357 rifle will work but it has range and power issues vs. a .30-06 class big game rifle. Most 150-165 grain .30-06 loads produce velocity at over 300 yards that the .357 magnum delivers at the muzzle. It seems that most hunters owning a more capable rifle would use it for big game. Some folks like to use as least effective a weapon as is legal, such as archery. More power to them, but when you seek opinion and get one that is different from yours it doesn't automatically mean the giver is ignorant or an idiot. Most big game hunters that might encounter a bear would use a rifle that produces considerably more energy than a .357 magnum. I wouldn't quit hunting if all I had was a .357 lever rifle and I really don't want to be shot with one, but it has a lot more limitations than the more commonly used big game calibers.

I say "ignorant" because, just like you, many guys seem to think that a 357 rifle is, as you state, a "least effective" choice. My point was, and is, that it is faaaar from that. So just like them, you make assumptions based on zero experience, and those assumptions are flat-out wrong.

I am not talking about people seeking opinions being ignorant. You should learn how to read for meaning. I am talking about guys, just like you, that form an opinion based on nothing, and then push that opinion as factual. That's what makes you look like an idiot, because that's what idiots do: they form opinions based on no facts, and then push those opinions as if they have validity.

You seemed to want to turn my reply into an attack on Moosemike. Why would I do that? He is just asking questions. I am attacking all those guys who voice beliefs that have zero factual basis. They are literally misleading the questioner, just as you are.

The 357 out of a rifle, loaded to the top, with the right bullet, is not your j-frame with 125 jhps. It is not "least effective" or "minimal" in any way. It is a hammer that penetrates some feet of tissue and makes a good wound channel. What it doesn't do is transmit high-velocity trauma to soft tissue, but it makes better wound channels than 25 caliber bullets at moderate rifle velocities. We aren't talking about shooting rimfires at big game, here. We are talking about a 1"-1.5" permanent channel for some feet when using the right bullet. I've killed moose and elk with that.

But please, feel free to keep on showing your ass. And remember, opinions aren't facts. Stop confusing the two.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 1bigdude
Put the .357 back in the safe and use a decent caliber you owe it to the bear rather than to use something that is "nearly" a deer caliber at best.

Please list with detail the experiences you've had with the .357 mag out of a rifle being inadequate.

Pretty sure between my brother and I, plus both our daughters, we haven't caught a bullet yet in whitetails.

The OP is asking about using it on bears in PA. There's very little chance at a long shot. We really don't have spot and stalk opportunities for bears. Though we can't hunt over bait, the shot ranges are about the same.
My son's bear was shot at 10-15 yards from him while he was still hunting.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tyrone

No. I gave up the trees after a bad fall. I sit on the ground and still hunt.

Same thing really. You still pick up the muzzle when the animal's eyes are blocked and pick your shot through an opening. Personally, I've never shot anything with a 357 rifle, only handguns, but you are an experienced hunter who knows how to pick a shot. You could get it done with a .22.

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 1bigdude

Please tell me exactly what I owe to the Bear. What, in your estimation is the minimum cartridge "I owe to the Bear"?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
m mike don't bother with theses fellers they will find fault in what ever you do . pick your shots and hunt fugg em

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The late Bob Milek killed a pile of mule deer, antelope, mountain lion and black bear with several 357 mag revolvers. He was definitely a forerunner in the handgun hunting world as well as a fine writer. This was back in the 60s and 70s with inferior bullet technology as compared today. 125 yards however may be pushing it a bit especially if using open sights.

Last edited by Rossimp; 03/13/19.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hastings
I say "ignorant" because, just like you, many guys seem to think that a 357 rifle is, as you state, a "least effective" choice. My point was, and is, that it is faaaar from that. So just like them, you make assumptions based on zero experience, and those assumptions are flat-out wrong. I am not talking about people seeking opinions being ignorant. You should learn how to read for meaning. I am talking about guys, just like you, that form an opinion based on nothing, and then push that opinion as factual. That's what makes you look like an idiot, because that's what idiots do: they form opinions based on no facts, and then push those opinions as if they have validity. You seemed to want to turn my reply into an attack on Moosemike. Why would I do that? He is just asking questions. I am attacking all those guys who voice beliefs that have zero factual basis. They are literally misleading the questioner, just as you are. The 357 out of a rifle, loaded to the top, with the right bullet, is not your j-frame with 125 jhps. It is not "least effective" or "minimal" in any way. It is a hammer that penetrates some feet of tissue and makes a good wound channel. What it doesn't do is transmit high-velocity trauma to soft tissue, but it makes better wound channels than 25 caliber bullets at moderate rifle velocities. We aren't talking about shooting rimfires at big game, here. We are talking about a 1"-1.5" permanent channel for some feet when using the right bullet. I've killed moose and elk with that.But please, feel free to keep on showing your ass. And remember, opinions aren't facts. Stop confusing the two.
Well, all I can say is I'm sorry for any offense, and I won't trouble you by conversing with you again. God bless you.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rossimp
The late Bob Milek killed a pile of mule deer, antelope, mountain lion and black bear with several 357 mag revolvers. He was definitely a forerunner in the handgun hunting world as well as a fine writer. This was back in the 60s and 70s with inferior bullet technology as compared today. 125 yards however may be pushing it a bit especially if using open sights.

It might be pushing the cartridge but it won't be pushing the iron sights.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Rossimp

It might be pushing the cartridge but it won't be pushing the iron sights.

Correct!

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
[Linked Image]

This cow elk was shot through the chest organs at a distance of approx 50 feet with the first bullet. Second bullet bullet struck a little further back and tore across the diaphragm and punched a good sized hole through the liver. The animal galloped away as if unhurt but collapsed after a run of about 100 yards. My 357 MAG revolver made meat!

I feel that 357 MAG firearms are strictly a close range hunting tool. If you want more reach, buy a .308 or 300 Savage rifle. Or a 30-06 if you can master the recoil. All of these rifles have downed much game within my extended hunting family.

Sherwood

FIRE UP THE GRILL - is NOT catch and release!
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
614 members (160user, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 12308300, 1badf350, 54 invisible), 2,848 guests, and 1,187 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,740
Posts18,401,130
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.