Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
CRS Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Looking to get another 1911 style 9mm pistol.

I already have a Sig 938 Ultra compact for cc and would like a bigger pistol to go with it.

Trying to decide if I should go full size 5 inch barrel or the 4 inch commander size. This gun will spend a lot of time in the truck and on the hiking trail. Whichever one I choose, plan is to take some kind of pistol course with it.

Any and all comments appreciated.

Arcus Venator
BP-B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Just curious as to why you want a 1911 style 9mm for a truck and hiking gun? I've got a Colt 1911 5" in 9mm and it shoots great. But, because of mag capacity, I don't consider using it for anything other than a range gun. You could get higher capacity in a 2011 style (double stack) and still have a "1911 style" gun.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CRS
Looking to get another 1911 style 9mm pistol.

I already have a Sig 938 Ultra compact for cc and would like a bigger pistol to go with it.

Trying to decide if I should go full size 5 inch barrel or the 4 inch commander size. This gun will spend a lot of time in the truck and on the hiking trail. Whichever one I choose, plan is to take some kind of pistol course with it.

Any and all comments appreciated.

My two cents:

Get the gun that tickles your fancy. The real-world differences between a 4", 4.25" and 5" 9mm 1911 are: up to 1" of barrel/slide length and about 3 oz of weight on steel frame guns. With the 4" gun you'll also lose the estimated 35 fps of muzzle velocity. None of that is going to affect what you do.

In 1911's, I have a 5" 9mm, a 5" 45 ACP, a 4" 45 ACP, and a 3" 45 ACP. My shooting pard has a 5" 9mm, and a 4.25" 9mm. I have shot them all quite a bit. The "portability" and weight savings of the 4" and 4.25" guns is pretty much unnoticeable--Any place you're willing to take a commander size gun, you'd have no issue taking a full size gun. The longer sight radius of 5" guns helps me when shooting iron sights. I also like green Crimson Trace laser grips. (Red lasers, while cheaper, are often useless in normal daylight conditions. They are fine inside, however.)

So I'll conclude as I began: Get whatever tickles your fancy.

(P.S. As for 9mm 1911 magazines, my Tripp Research have been flawless, and they come with a base pad. Kimber mags have also functioned 100%. I have two MecGar mags and sent one back, because it don't lock the slide after the last round. MecGar gave me no grief--they paid shipping both ways and swapped out the mag without a fuss. Since then, both MecGars have also run 100%)

Good luck in your decision!

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Maybe this will tickle your fancy. For a good start.

https://www.colt.com/detail-page/col-combat-commander-9mm-425

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
CRS...would suggest you find a good shop that has a Government, Combat Commander and Commander in stock and see how you like the balance. My favorite is the Commander that has an aluminum frame in .38 Super which is basically a 9mm on steroids... One can also switch out barrels to have a two caliber gun...

https://www.colt.com/series/COMPETITION_SERIES

https://www.colt.com/detail-page/wiley-clapp-commander-9mm-bl

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by RJM
CRS...would suggest you find a good shop that has a Government, Combat Commander and Commander in stock and see how you like the balance. My favorite is the Commander that has an aluminum frame in .38 Super which is basically a 9mm on steroids... One can also switch out barrels to have a two caliber gun...

https://www.colt.com/series/COMPETITION_SERIES

https://www.colt.com/detail-page/wiley-clapp-commander-9mm-bl

I have both the WC LWC's in .45 and 9mm. Hard to beat for the money. If you have old eyes like me. There is no better sight matchup on these.

Like the saying goes. "Everything you need and nothing you don't"

Custom shop built and fitted. Need I say more.

(Colt's custom shop is a true custom shop. Not like the others.)

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Those WCs are sharp guns for the money...I just will never own one because they have a checkered frontstrap....

Bob

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by RJM
Those WCs are sharp guns for the money...I just will never own one because they have a checkered frontstrap....

Bob

I like the frontstrap for a carry gun. Not so much for a range gun.

CRS Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for all the replies, I want a 9mm as that is what I am set up to reload for, even though not necessary at this time with all the inexpensive ammo available. I prefer 1911 style controls as that is what I am very familiar with, and grew up shooting since the 80's.

Originally Posted by RyanTX
Just curious as to why you want a 1911 style 9mm for a truck and hiking gun? I've got a Colt 1911 5" in 9mm and it shoots great. But, because of mag capacity, I don't consider using it for anything other than a range gun. You could get higher capacity in a 2011 style (double stack) and still have a "1911 style" gun.

I will certainly look into the 2011 design.

Arcus Venator
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Look at the Springfield loaded, I'm running Trip research and Wilson combat mags with good reliability!

IC B3

CRS Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I made it to a Cabelas tonight to look at some pistols.

RIA double stack combo gun of 9mm and 22 tcm. Felt like an anchor.
The Sig Sauer Scorpion in 45 was better. Would have liked to compare the fastback model even though it does not come in 9mm.
A standard Colt Commander in 45 that felt pretty good too. But not a lightweight, and would like to handle one of those.
Kimber Aegis grips dug into my hands.

I did go through the Glock routine just in case something had changed, but the 1911's felt soooo much better.

I did not have time to make it to the "good gun store" maybe next week. Hopefully they have a lightweight Commander in 9, or better yet a Wiley Clap light weight.

Arcus Venator
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Do yourself a favor and check out the Springfield Armory EMP.

It's aprox. 7/8 scale of a full size 1911, and is designed around the 9MM Luger.

I have one in a 4" and am extremely pleased with it. It holds 10+1

Virgil B.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a Wiley Clapp LWC in 9m/m. I really like the gun for shooting steel plates. I had a little trouble with the sites in load development off of sand bags. The rear site is a little wide for target shooting. But it’s fine for what it’s designed for. Defense shooting. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a full size Springfield Loaded model. This is supposedly a target gun, but the trigger was terrible. A spring kit and some tuning did wonders. A good gun for the $$$$$$.

Last edited by mrmarklin; 03/10/19.
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
"RIA double stack combo gun of 9mm and 22 tcm. Felt like an anchor."

...except for playing gun games or a deployment to the SandBox one really doesn't need a 1911 that hold more that 10 rounds. The DS 1911s fit the hand as well as most Glocks and that is to say they don't fit most peoples hands very well at all....

Besides the WC Commander you may also want to look at the Dan Wessons...

Light weight..
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/803055763

All stainless...
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/803091278

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by vbshootinrange
Do yourself a favor and check out the Springfield Armory EMP.

It's aprox. 7/8 scale of a full size 1911, and is designed around the 9MM Luger.

I have one in a 4" and am extremely pleased with it. It holds 10+1

Virgil B.

Beat me to it..........+1

CRS Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Will the Dan Wesson be a higher quality pistol vs Colt off the shelf? Or very comparable to the WC LW model?

Last edited by CRS; 03/10/19.

Arcus Venator
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
a DW 1911 is about as nice as you can buy across the counter , yes , Id say better made than Colt

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Last weekend I also took the plunge on a 9mm 1911 and bought the Colt Competition Gvt. The stainless one with the blue grip panels. I have it at the gunsmith to have an ambi safety but on as I'm southpaw and want that feature.

I also order to Chip McCormick Range Pro 10-round magazines for it as I read good reviews on them. Can't wait to get it back and see how it does.

CRS Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Made the rounds to the gun shops over the weekend.

I was able to handle a DW ECP and a bunch of others. They had sold the WC LW Colt during the week.

Out of everything I handled the DW ECP and surprisingly a Kimber Aegis handled and came up the best for me.

Any reason to steer clear of Kimber?

I appreciate all the suggestions so far.

Arcus Venator
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
185 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 300_savage, 2UP, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 15 invisible), 1,496 guests, and 841 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,909
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.