24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
A
A
First hunting trip was to Namibia in 2017. NW area near Etosha has some good PH and open range land. Hartmann zebra is available as free range, not available many other places. Best advice is to get a personal recommendation for a PH/outfitter as online ads talk a good story but once you make the deposit and travel they often don't back up the sales talk-know several guys who had bad luck with internet bookings. Took my cousin and we shot 11 animals-plains game over 10 days and only cost $12,000 total for hunt and all accommodations during hunt, plus airlines and hotels for layovers. Go to Accurate Reloading and Africa Hunting. Perhaps you can PM various people that posted info re successful trips to get info/personal recommendation. Good luck. PS went back to Namibia in 2018 and did great. Now ready to move on to other places.

Last edited by autofire; 03/10/19.
BP-B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Ok I have some beginner questions too. My problem with going to Africa is that of course I don't have any experience with the animals. Say we see a kudu. Is it a big one or a small one? I know the outfitter will be the judge but that leaves me with little satisfaction, as compared to shooting a 6 point or a 12 point whitetail, or a big 6x6 elk. I could look at lots of pictures and familiarize myself with judging the animals I would like. Or tell me how you guys received the satisfaction, if you know what I mean??

Also, memtb touched on exchange rate?? I know nothing about the currency there. Is American money worth more or less? Do the PH's require payment in American money as many Canadian outfitters do, which I think is a bunch of BS. They make money on the exchange.

Thanks

USE ENOUGH GUN (Ruark) and YOU CAN'T EVER HAVE TOO MANY (me)
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
marko, you're getting worked up over a bunch of nothing (no offense). Having never been there, of course you'd have some questions though. You have to trust your PH when getting the go ahead for a shot, especially with hunters who have never laid eyes on the animals before. You just have to trust them. I've got little elk hunting experience, but have been a handful of times. I would personally put a big kudu bull hunt right up there at least equal to the elk hunt. As a matter of fact I find it rather addicting. Hunting Africa is special, particularly Namibia of the places I've been.

As far as the exchange rate goes, it's somewhere around 15:1 USD. One of the last time I went to Nambia with Kowas, I killed 10 plains game culls, a big kudu bull, and a mountain zebra. I paid around $6k for that hunt, which is far less than the cost of a trophy elk hunt, mule deer hunt, or even whitetail hunt in many places. In light of that fact I could give a ratsazzz if the PH makes a little $$$ on the exchange rate.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by colorado bob

One word of caution------Africa gets into your blood. You'll be flying home & you'll be planning your next trip back. I'm going for my 3rd time & plan to hunt with Bossie.

Not necessarily true- I went this past July and I have zero desire to return to the $ hithole continent called Africa. I had a great time while actually hunting, the rest, not so much.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Funny how everybody is different on this. I had zero desire to go for the first 50 years of my life, then I went, now I'd love to go back every year, even if it were only plains game hunting. Nothing comes close to the sheer amount of game over there. Yes, there were some things that I didn't like, but the SA and Namibian people I was around were A+ folks. Wouldn't care if I ever saw J'burg again though.

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by JGRaider
marko, you're getting worked up over a bunch of nothing (no offense). Having never been there, of course you'd have some questions though. You have to trust your PH when getting the go ahead for a shot, especially with hunters who have never laid eyes on the animals before. You just have to trust them. I've got little elk hunting experience, but have been a handful of times. I would personally put a big kudu bull hunt right up there at least equal to the elk hunt. As a matter of fact I find it rather addicting. Hunting Africa is special, particularly Namibia of the places I've been.

As far as the exchange rate goes, it's somewhere around 15:1 USD. One of the last time I went to Nambia with Kowas, I killed 10 plains game culls, a big kudu bull, and a mountain zebra. I paid around $6k for that hunt, which is far less than the cost of a trophy elk hunt, mule deer hunt, or even whitetail hunt in many places. In light of that fact I could give a ratsazzz if the PH makes a little $$$ on the exchange rate.

Thanks JGRaider. Yea I do get a little worked up once in a while!! I have quite a few buddies that have been to Africa and they all enjoy it immensely. I need to take the plunge, and I will one of these days.

USE ENOUGH GUN (Ruark) and YOU CAN'T EVER HAVE TOO MANY (me)
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dennisinaz

One word of caution------Africa gets into your blood. You'll be flying home & you'll be planning your next trip back. I'm going for my 3rd time & plan to hunt with Bossie.

Not necessarily true- I went this past July and I have zero desire to return to the $ hithole continent called Africa. I had a great time while actually hunting, the rest, not so much.

Wow.
Very surprising to hear.
What happened?
Did you get mugged or something?

I went for the first time in May of '17 to RSA for 2 weeks and had a great time.
The biggest surprise for me was I had as much or more enjoyment in the tourist stuff as the hunting.

The hunting was an incredible value (took over 30 animals cull hunting and a decent kudu) and the private park game rides were outstanding and the in town events were great.
We started planning a return within a couple months of leaving.

Doing a week of hunting in Namibia and 10 days of not hunting activities in Vic Falls and the Okavango in May.
Can't wait.

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by memtb
Thinking of a Safari. Plains game for wife and I both hunting, approximately 10 day hunt. With political climate and best affordable Safari in mind.....which countries and PH’s do you recommend? Thanks in advance for advice and comments ( at least the constructive ones) wink ! memtb

memtb, That’s great news! I’m happy for you both. Add a couple of 375 H&H rifles for you and the wife for no other reason than because you can, and a safari hunt is a good excuse to buy something new...You’re 338 Wins will be just the right porridge.
But, I would still want to look at new shoot’n irons as apart of the build up to going....😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I'll recommend Hotfire Safaris. The Outfitter is the PH. One group at a time, no interference from other guests who might like to party more than hunt. PH is an amateur naturalist. Not many questions he can't answer, great tour guide also. Outfitter can arrange about anything you want to do.

For Marko who is concerned about knowing what is a big critter. Read all the articles and books you can lay your hands on. Look at mounts in friend's homes etc. Big looks big and takes little time to get accustomed to. You have to understand that some species look the same, but due to differences in location or sub-species, there can be size variations. Probably the most common is the Southern Greater Kudu and the Eastern Cape Kudu. There can be 5-10 inches in length with the SGK being bigger. The first day I was there, I had already see lots of impala in the national park and on the farm. Then we spotted a group of males and one clearly dwarfed the others. Big looks big. A good outfitter will not allow immature animals to be taken, their reputation rides on obtaining mature, quality animals for their clients. I never once felt pressured to shoot something. If anything, I would have shot a couple of critters, but the PH said that they weren't mature, we can do better.

Americans are the world's biggest pool of international hunters, almost all outfitters bill in USD. I appreciate those that bill me in Canadian pesos smile . Right now the exchange rate is 1CAD/9.5Rand. USD rate would be 30% better than the CAD.

https://www.hotfire.co.za/

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
My brother and I just booked our first safari, we decided to go with Tholo Safaris in Botswana. I have only found positive reviews with that hunting outfit. It can be pretty nerve racking making the choice with all the info available.
I ended up going to the DSC this year so I can ask questions and meet the people I would be hunting with. Best of luck making your decision, and good luck with your first safari.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

If I were doing my first trip again and it was strictly plainsgame, I would look at Omunjeve Safaris in Namibia or Tholo Safaris in Botswana as the previous poster recommended.

And a +100 for using Gracy (or somebody like Steve Turner) to do your travel arrangements and gun permits.

It isn't that expensive and it makes it so much less hassle and greatly reduces the stress and after a long plane ride to Africa, the last thing you want to deal with is additional stress.

I've been there 7 times and use a travel agency EVERY time. Never use one for non-hunting trips though.

Just my opinion.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Hunted with Tholo in Botswana last Sept. it was my first plains game in 8 years but my 15th Safari. Had a great time and highly recommend them. Good folks.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by wageslave

Wow.
Very surprising to hear.
What happened?

I didn't like being yelled at and taunted in the airport in J'berg because I was toting a guncase and obviously a sportsman, I didn't like being treated like chit by the blacks at customs and airport security who treated the other blacks much differently, I didn't like having bug poison sprayed all over me every time I got in an airplane. I didn't like having to keep the doors locked and windows rolled up when we drove through town so we wouldn't get hi jacked. I didn't like having to pay/bribe someone for almost everything that you needed to do. I didn't like the high fences that were around every property I saw in Namibia, I did't like being treated like chit by the black US customs in Atlanta. I didn't care for the 20 hour plane ride that cost me $3000. Just doesn't do it for me.

I could go on.

On the ranch/farm itself it was fine- I had a good time, ate well and saw LOTS of game. I didn't think there was much sport in driving around and shooting at stuff or even jumping off and shooting at stuff. I pissed my PH off when I insisted I was going to shoot all my animals from my hind legs and we were going to do a lot of walking and not as much driving. I didn't care for the long lunches and nap time. Other than that, it was great.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the clarification.

We rented rifles, as we had more days in country not hunting then hunting.
We breezed through customs in 2 minutes....maybe for that reason.
The porters profusely thanked us for coming hunting and helping their people on our way out of JoBerg.
On the way home British Airways did fog the plane....we weren't thrilled by that.

We informed the PH that we would rather eat sandwiches out in the field daily than drive back and waste a couple hours....they were delighted to comply.
Our PH appreciated that we wanted to hike, stalk and hunt.
I think they are more used to wealthy, out of shape hunters that expect to be waited on hand and foot, more often than not.

I hope with the knowledge you gained on this trip you will know a lot more questions to ask before hand the next time, if you decide to try again.
Rural Africa was magical for us. I hope to enjoy it much more in the future.
We did not overnight in any large metro areas, so maybe we got lucky on the hijack problems.

Take care.

Have Dog

Will Travel

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

I fully agree with Dennis' observation. I've hunted Africa on two occasions: Tanzania and South Africa. Both times were rewarding experiences but, having now hunted Africa, I have no desire to return. Plenty of wonderful hunts in the USA to keep me completely satisfied for the rest of my life.

M
memtb Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Originally Posted by memtb
Thinking of a Safari. Plains game for wife and I both hunting, approximately 10 day hunt. With political climate and best affordable Safari in mind.....which countries and PH’s do you recommend? Thanks in advance for advice and comments ( at least the constructive ones) wink ! memtb

memtb, That’s great news! I’m happy for you both. Add a couple of 375 H&H rifles for you and the wife for no other reason than because you can, and a safari hunt is a good excuse to buy something new...You’re 338 Wins will be just the right porridge.
But, I would still want to look at new shoot’n irons as apart of the build up to going....😎

Thanks Mark! She’s welcome to my old H&H, but I’m certain she take her .338....as she’s pretty comfortable with it. And her rifle is about 3 or more pounds lighter than the Win. Model 70. And I’ll use my .375AI. If they’re good enough here in the states....they should be OK for Africa! wink memtb

Last edited by memtb; 03/12/19.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wageslave

Wow.
Very surprising to hear.
What happened?

I didn't like being yelled at and taunted in the airport in J'berg because I was toting a guncase and obviously a sportsman, I didn't like being treated like chit by the blacks at customs and airport security who treated the other blacks much differently, I didn't like having bug poison sprayed all over me every time I got in an airplane. I didn't like having to keep the doors locked and windows rolled up when we drove through town so we wouldn't get hi jacked. I didn't like having to pay/bribe someone for almost everything that you needed to do. I didn't like the high fences that were around every property I saw in Namibia, I did't like being treated like chit by the black US customs in Atlanta. I didn't care for the 20 hour plane ride that cost me $3000. Just doesn't do it for me.

I could go on.

On the ranch/farm itself it was fine- I had a good time, ate well and saw LOTS of game. I didn't think there was much sport in driving around and shooting at stuff or even jumping off and shooting at stuff. I pissed my PH off when I insisted I was going to shoot all my animals from my hind legs and we were going to do a lot of walking and not as much driving. I didn't care for the long lunches and nap time. Other than that, it was great.

Where and by who were you being taunted by in the Johannesburg airport? Did you hire a meet and greet service? I hired a meet and greet service and had zero issues. The staff were black and they handled immigration and the rifle permits at the police stations. Easy peasy. I had them walk me to the City Lodge. I bought meals at the restaurants and bookstores in the airport which were run by blacks, nothing but friendly interactions.

As for bug spray, I don't recall that, but I've been to North American farms, kennels and other facilities where we at least had to step in a tray of disinfectant coming and going.

I hired a driver for the afternoon in Johannesburg, never had to lock doors in the cars. But we were primarily in the Eastern Cape. Didn't bribe anyone. Again, hiring a local to assist takes away a lot of the opportunity for persons to take advantage of you.

Can't help you with our own TSA staff, or the cost of your airfare. I'm paying less than $2000CAD for KLM cattleclass.

I made it clear that driving and shooting was not for me, but it was not an issue because that was settled before I went there, the outfitter is the PH and this was all discussed at the show in Calgary where I booked. We had a couple of lunches at homebase when we were close by, but even on most days on the home farm we ate (if at all) in the field. Dawn to dusk baby.

I wish your experience had been better. Africa can be magical. Give it another try Dennis?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
All I will say is that my experiences are nothing like dennisinaz situations, a complete 180 in fact. I do agree that J'burg pretty much sucks.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by JGRaider
All I will say is that my experiences are nothing like dennisinaz situations, a complete 180 in fact. I do agree that J'burg pretty much sucks.

Same here, I have loved Africa and have endured a few issues but it is part of traveling in a foreign country. I have had more issues with the TSA than I have in other countries.

I also did not care much for Joberg, or Dar Es Salaam or Brazzaville but they are interesting places to visit and in general not much worse than New Orleans.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
i had a great experience in 2016 with Kei River Safaris, Andrew Renton, in S Africa"s Eastern Cape. Heartily recommend

Yesu ai zhongguo
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
635 members (12344mag, 257_X_50, 1234, 257Bob, 06hunter59, 257man, 72 invisible), 2,941 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,664
Posts18,399,333
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.