Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by memtb
Sid, I was kinda hoping that you were a “clean freak”! I was gonna say, next time your here, I’ll have a pile of rifles and handguns that haven’t been cleaned in years! grin Give me a week or so advanced notice of your visit....I’ll need to look for my cleaning stuff! grin memtb

If I am going to do that, there had better be a bottle of whiskey in the process. grin

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by sbhooper
Originally Posted by memtb
Sid, I was kinda hoping that you were a “clean freak”! I was gonna say, next time your here, I’ll have a pile of rifles and handguns that haven’t been cleaned in years! grin Give me a week or so advanced notice of your visit....I’ll need to look for my cleaning stuff! grin memtb

If I am going to do that, there had better be a bottle of whiskey in the process. grin

Sid, We usually don’t keep any in stock, but for you....consider it a “done deal”! wink memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Certain weapons require different treatments, 1917 Browning air cooled, 1918 BAR, 1919 Browning air cooled, Vickers water cooled, Maxim etc. respond well to Boar Tech Eliminator. Seldom do we clean to bare steel, carbon being most prevalent, a few inches forward of the throat, usually baked on at very high temps particularly in air cooled guns. A good copper wash with a light glaze of carbon is ideal, recovered bullets in snow, showing the least jacket damage or roughness where the lands engage. Maybe this isn't germane to sporting arms.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Reloder28
My Lilja barrel is my favorite. I would never run a wire brush thru it. Those custom barrels have mirror polished bores.
They don’t get that way from a wire brush.

Mr Lilja himself tells owners of his barrels to use a bronze brush.
http://riflebarrels.com/support/centerfire-maintenance/

Originally Posted by sbhooper
Barrel makers love people that are obsessed with keeping the copper scrubbed out of a barrel. Run a few patches to clean the carbon
at the end of the season if you want, but there is no reason to scrub the copper out of a barrel very often.
The bullet essentially rides on a layer of copper, thus slowing the damage to a barrel.

Why does one need the supposed 'advantage' of a layer of copper stuck to the bore surface when you have copper jacket bullets?

Are you seriously suggesting a copper bullet passing through a 'copper free bore' damages a barrel faster?

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Q
Quak Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Q
Agree...that’s ridiculous

GOD Bless America
IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by smithrjd
I see some references to "wire brushes" what is meant by that? A steel brush or a brass brush? Do folks really think a brass brush will hurt barrel steel? I would bet ammonia cleaners will cause more issues than a brass brush.

Usually it is phosphor bronze. Harder than copper/gilding metal, not as hard as barrel steel. The brush is useful for shifting powder fouling, which is not very soluble in nitro solvent.

Ammonia dissolves copper. It will dissolve metal fouling, and it will dissolve a bronze brush if you let the two come into contact. The ammonia itself won't harm barrel steel, so long as you follow the instructions: don't leave it sit in the barrel too long, clean it out and then oil. The reason for that is not because ammonia attacks the steel, but because the solvent is water-based, and so if you leave it too long it can promote rusting.

I've used Sweets 7.62 for decades, and find it very effective on metal fouling, especially when fresh, and even more especially if you work it vigorously enough to work up a bit of a froth. I've never had an issue with it harming a barrel.

Q
Quak Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Q
When its fresh is key. If its been in the barrel too long sweets won't touch it. Nor will any of the chem treatments. I have a theory and it could be totally bunk but here goes...

when the copper oxidizes the chemical makeup changes enough that the solvents stop working. Ive seen copper that nothing would touch.

Except JB bore paste. That always works...every time.

GOD Bless America
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Quak
When its fresh is key. If its been in the barrel too long sweets won't touch it. Nor will any of the chem treatments. I have a theory and it could be totally bunk but here goes...

when the copper oxidizes the chemical makeup changes enough that the solvents stop working. Ive seen copper that nothing would touch.

Except JB bore paste. That always works...every time.

Actually I was referring to the Sweets 7.62 being fresh. When it is, the fumes will just about lift your scalp off, and it works really well. With age it loses a bit of its effectiveness.

As for fouling, I guess it is at least possible that the copper could develop a bit of patina, which is somewhat protective, if you got your bore fouled and then let it sit for a long while. I've never noticed it being harder to shift metal fouling after it has been left to sit for a while though.

Try this experiment: take some bullets that have been allowed to develop a patina. Put some Sweets on a swab and try to shine them up. I think you'll fine that it takes the patina off straight away.

BTW, Sweets and other ammonia sources should be kept well away from your brass cases and loaded ammo. Ammonia will attack those just like it attacks metal fouling, and can cause intergranular corrosion/season cracking.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Take this test...get a few copper pennies(if they are still around) or a bullet you want to sacrifice and put a drop of sweets on it and then a drop of KG12.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Quak

It may be harder to clean out after it has layers of fouling deposited on top but I doubt that copper oxide is the culprit. The blue and green colors that come out on cleaning patches with solvent are from copper oxide, the solvents oxidize the copper.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B3

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

85 members (444Matt, 44automag, 35sambar, 10gaugemag, 6mmCreedmoor, 6MMWASP, 13 invisible), 2,196 guests, and 826 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,660
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.