Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Some folks go gaga on the Quigley model rifle, still don't really know why. One year at the Quigley a guy pulls up next to where we were camped and asks if he can, we told him sure go ahead. He came by later after setting up his new tent and wanted to shoot the sh*t. Said he didn't know if he would shoot in the shoot as he had a new rifle and had never loaded bp rd 1.Come to find out that he bought a used Quiigly 45-110 from the Cabelas Gun Library up in Seattle or some damn place. Paid a lot of cash for a gun with someone else's gold plated initials in it. He had stopped at BACO on the way to Montana and they sold him half the store. Sold him some ready to go greaser loads too but after looking at my ppb loads he got a glazed look in his eye and looked unstable. He had some Swiss 1.5 and vag wads, plus primers, I intro'ed him to a vender that had some .442" TGBS bullets to sell and some patches, get the long story short we made him and his gun a successful shooter. Now them Quig models got a hard steel curved butt. After 75 rds the poor guy was black and blue and green on his whole right side even after him putting a kickease slip on pad over it. He managed to get 5/8 on the buffalo at 805 yds so he was still a happy camper. Next year he didn't make it out and on the year after that he did with a new Montana Roughrider chambered for 45-2.4" with a shotgun butt did better without the beating. I don't think a guy can have to many Shilohs but them ones with the rifle butt look better in the gunsafe than on the firing line. just my 2 cents on that. MB

You could have saved us all a bunch of time by not writing that...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Lead, paper and Lord Black sure has gotten more technical over the last 150 years or so, right? laugh

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'll be taking my 45-110 Sharps and the 550 gr PP Hindenburg's to our Silhouette - BPCR/HPRS competition this spring.

Most likely get my clock cleaned by some old 80 yr old fart but it'll be fun anyway ! grin

https://engc.us/disciplines/silhouette?page2731=3&size2731=5

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Just be patient Woody, you'll be 80 someday. grin

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
IIRC, one of the movie rifles was on display here at the National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum some years ago; haven't been out there in a while, might not still be there.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Lead, paper and Lord Black sure has gotten more technical over the last 150 years or so, right? laugh

No not really, the ones that shoot for tiny little groups and long range were very meticulous about how things were done. Then as now the ones that are ok with hitting something every couple of shots or so , not so much.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
You mean ol' Billy Dixon was meticulous?

Dan

PS: Was being a little bit of a wisenhiemer re: "technical".

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ol Billy bought a case (1000)of factory rounds for his new 44 the night before the fight.

Me too. smile

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Yup that is right, and then he left them at the store and went to the bar where he ended up using the bartender's big fifty to make good Indians out of bad ones. Guess he had to save his 44's for the buffalo huh? MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by Paul39
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by Paul39
Originally Posted by tmitch
Makes me cringe every time I see the Shiloh thrown in the dirt. shocked frown cry
wasn't the real one.

Actually it was a real Shiloh. Selleck came here to Montana to visit the Shiloh plant and spend some time with Mike Venturino to become more familiar with a Sharps rifle. They made 3 rifles, one to shoot and film, one to abuse and a third for a spare and close up filming.

Thanks for the clarification. I read somewhere that the "abuse" rifle had an aluminum barrel to make it easier to toss. Clearly they were all built by Shiloh.

Can you confirm?

Paul

I just called Kirk at Shiloh to confirm that there were 3 rifles made for the movie. Just as I said previously, there were 3 rifles made, one as the star of the show, 1 that got abused and the 3rd for close up pictures and as a spare if it was needed.

There were no aluminum barrels or rifles with aluminum barrels, just the 3 rifles that I described...

For the ultimate clarification:

I talked to Mike Venturino about this a couple days ago and he told me the real scoop. There WAS an aluminum barrel made for the gun used in the fight scene at the dock at the beginning of the movie. Evidently, when they were filming the fight, the gun was too heavy to manage and they went back to Shiloh, which at that time was owned by Wolfgang Droge, and he made the aluminum barrel for the Sharps he had already made.

Mike said he saw and handled the barrel. The producers sent Mike a copy of the script, which he had them change in the scenes I had previously mentioned. I hope this clears up some questionable aspects of the movie which is the reason for the tread in the first place...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem
I'll be taking my 45-110 Sharps and the 550 gr PP Hindenburg's to our Silhouette - BPCR/HPRS competition this spring.

Most likely get my clock cleaned by some old 80 yr old fart but it'll be fun anyway ! grin

https://engc.us/disciplines/silhouette?page2731=3&size2731=5

I have shot BPCR silhouette at the ENGC and I'll be 80 by the time of the match, but I won't be there to put your prediction to the test, as I moved far away. You might run into my son, though.

You can most certainly have fun, but a .45-110 will be lonely beast at a silhouette match. To steal a line from Matthew Quigley " I never had much use for one". I have done respectably in long range BPCR with a stoked up .45-70, meaning paper patched bullets seated way out over 80 grs. of Swiss 1/2. Billy Dixon match at steel Comanches at 1500 yards. Much fun!

Paul

Last edited by Paul39; 03/12/19.

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Paul. I would welcome having you "clean my clock" just for the meet and greet smile ..I started this BP journey way too late in life and have no intentions of becoming a competitor just a hunter with a big fire stik however a silhouette match at least once has always been on my radar.

And with all the devastation from the flooding and repairing our deer camp house out West may not even make it to Meet..

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Paul and chance you and Pete will be at Alliance in May?

www.historicshooting.com
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

588 members (10GaugeKS, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 22250rem, 62 invisible), 2,182 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,286
Posts18,448,724
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.