Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
You said that you policed for a decade with just a six shot revolver so mag capacity doesn’t make much difference to you.

Then you said that as a cop you carried three guns.

I’m just pointing out that the first statement doesn’t make support the second. That’s all.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
BP-B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by 41magfan
Geeeez ... nowhere in my post did I say I still carried a revolver ..... I haven’t carried one since the 80’s. I was just making the point that limited round capacity doesn’t necessarily equal being undergunned - anymore than being loaded down with ammo makes you well-prepared. But you’re right about one thing, I’m old ... old enough to know that hardware seldom determines the outcome of anything of consequence.

Do you think that criminal elements and tendacies have changed since the 80s?

And again. You contradict yourself

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Waders
Originally Posted by db102550
Hell, I live in New York so the answer is easy; 10.

I live in Washington state and as soon as this year's state legislative session is over, I will be in the same boat.

When I moved here I was pleasantly surprised how gun friendly, or at least how little the state infringed on our rights, WA was.

My has the worm turned.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
...simple...the gun that is of adequate caliber that fits my hand the best....

A 1911 fits my hand the best and will put a bullet where I look....

A 12 shot S&W 6906 pointed better for me than the 3913 I planned on buying so I ended up with a 12 round magazine instead of 8...

Of all the mini guns from .32 to .380 the Kahr P380 fit my hand the best, had the best shot to shot times, pointed the best, had the best controllable trigger pull and and was the biggest gun that could be hidden in a front pocket....

...bottom line...I could give one RatzAzz about magazine capacity....it is the whole package that counts....

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I have carried 1911's and revolvers for over 40 years and not felt under gunned. I got my first polymer/striker fired hi capacity 9mm last year. Have aquired 2 more since. I like them but don't shoot them as well as I do the 1911 or the revolver. My best pard carried a BHP with 2 12 rd mags as an agent for the govt. He was in many gun fights and never ran out of ammo. Perhaps he had some better training and skills that most folks don't have. Some one asked a fellow how many extra rounds he carried and he said he carried a 5 shot revolver so he had 4 extra! If you are skilled with and confident in what you have all is well in your world. Now if I was facing a horde of zombies I have a Keltec PMR 30 with lotsa round count!!

Last edited by Lonerider; 03/12/19.
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
back in the 70's i carried a model 19 on patrol with two speed loaders, and never felt undergunned. but the world changes, and there were not the gangs and urban environment to cotend with.
around the phoenix valley it came down to a model 23 glock or some variation. now it's a baby glock with three different caliber barrels for it.
having said that, it is a different attitude out on the desert, or on the desert near mexico.
there i always have a high capacity rifle, and hi capacity handgun.
i just got in some 24round glock mags for a 17, which will go in the vehicle when out and about.
i don't think that is necessary around town. it's one small semiauto with an 8round capacity and a spare mag.

i should add i remember facing with another deputy about 12armed drunk bikers we had to arrest. Bikers asked us how we were gonna do that given two of us and their numbers? answer was we were sober they were not, and the leader was gonna go first. He believed us.
That was before the time of 15round handguns, but i sure in hindsight wish i had one at the time.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 03/12/19.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
13 in a p365 mostly plus 12 in my left pocket.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have the very negative and pessimistic attitude that will are losing our 2nd A. right and future legislature will limit all of us to 10 round mag. So I am preparing for that eventuality. Due to cost, logistics, and platforms I am transition from 45acp to 9mm.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JOG
The M&P M2.0 Compact checked enough boxes that I'm carrying 15+1 for the first time in years.

This^^^^^^^^^^^ been my EDC for 6-7 months.

If I'm comfortable carrying less, them it's a 1911.

Generally , IMO, you can't have too much ammo.

MM

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I enjoy these discussions, because handled well, it can give us pause to think about our choices.

But, I don’t think there’s one best gun for everyone, one number of rounds that work for all. Depends upon where you live, reasonable threat assessment for where you find yourself in your community etc.

Recall on a trip home to see my my mom we rented a mini van, took a shortcut through KC ( in days before road enhancement)

Up ahead a few blocks I could see a party ? Beginning of a street fight ? A riot ? Don’t know what, but it didn’t look good to me.

Sure enough as we slowed to cruise through, some a hole approached our van with a baseball bat menacingly

I’d already instructed everyone to duck down and not raise up till I gave the all clear.

Had assembled and loaded a Glock 23 and as the a hole with bat approached our rented mini van, he indeed got to see the muzzle.

I spose a j frame would have had the same impact upon him, wide eyed and stopped in his tracks, but it wouldn’t have given me the same comfort w only 5 rounds.

Not a shot fired, still gave me the warm fuzzies knowing I had good odds of taking down a few zulus If chit got real.

But just the usual, stopped em in their tracks, and as we got down the road they spilled into the street waving bat, and selling wolf tickets.

Meh, let em have their fun. Around town here where I live, not too many worries of that type. We only have to make ourselves happy with our firearms choices and even mag capacity.

I’ve not been in a gunfight, but I doubt that anyone that ever has wished for less ammo. I could be wrong about that 🤷🏻‍♂️

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
IC B3

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I went out and ran four 10 round mags of 38 Super handloads through my little Colt LWT Commander this morning before the rains, damn, decisions, decisions, decisions, I gotta say, the little pistol ran great as always, ZERO recoil, and 125gr Barnes copper hp's at 1321 fps aint gonna buff out. smile

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don’t have a formula for capacity. I just pick a CCW gun for handling, shooting, concealment, and presentation characteristics. My main gun has a magazine capacity of 10. (Sig P365 just edged out the Glock 26.) My sometimes backup/occasional primary pocket Glock 42 has a magazine capacity of 6. I carry 2 spares for both. If I have to go against 3 people by myself with my family behind me, the calculus for survival likely is going to depend on a lot of footwork and aggressive initiative along with some reloading. I once had to pre-plan my way through a situation like that with a S&W 640 and a couple of speed strips in my front pockets. (Fortunately, I never had to test the plan.) The guns available to me now are much better than that!

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Love the .38 Super. Was shooting those before they were cool. Sounds like it works for you just fine gunner.

With spare mags you’re set 👍🏻

Buys you time to train w your plastic guns, but if you never get off that Super ? I don’t see a problem

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A J frame holds 5 so that settles that for me.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
Love the .38 Super. Was shooting those before they were cool. Sounds like it works for you just fine gunner.

With spare mags you’re set 👍🏻

Buys you time to train w your plastic guns, but if you never get off that Super ? I don’t see a problem

LOL, they're little burners for sure 2LTQ, three spare 10 round Tripp mags will ride perfectly along beside a can of Cope in a rear jeans pocket all day long, and speaking of time to train with my Glock, I have it, I just pulled the slide on that 38 Super and sent it off today to be ION coated, I've about carried/handled the factory coating off that thing, going to dress her up a little.

Trump Won!
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I concur with your friend, I’d figure on 3 per. Which means I’m good for for 6 problems....more than that and I’m SOL and ammo! whistle memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by memtb
I concur with your friend, I’d figure on 3 per. Which means I’m good for for 6 problems....more than that and I’m SOL and ammo! whistle memtb

I've thought of being injured, running dry on pistol/revolver ammo in some kind of crazy scenario, the only thing that comes to mind is running, limping, hopping, doing the worm, crawling over to my pickup and getting my hands on a AR10/REPR 308 and turning the heat back up. smile

Trump Won!
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by gunner500

I've thought of being injured, running dry on pistol/revolver ammo in some kind of crazy scenario, the only thing that comes to mind is running, limping, hopping, doing the worm, crawling over to my pickup and getting my hands on a AR10/REPR 308 and turning the heat back up. smile

When we’re on a road trip, we often have a long gun for the what if scenario .....but don’t near home. I really should address that, as .....it could happen anywhere at any time! In just the last year we’ve had some bad characters pass through our area. Some were apprehended realitively close, others a few states away! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have no supporting evidence but I suspect that the number of rounds remaining bring about a change in shooting. As the number decreases the shooting becomes more focused. When the number gets down to two or three you damn well better score.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by gunner500

When we’re on a road trip, we often have a long gun for the what if scenario .....but don’t near home. I really should address that, as .....it could happen anywhere at any time! In just the last year we’ve had some bad characters pass through our area. Some were apprehended realitively close, others a few states away! memtb

Yup, my deal too, but, i'll throw a rifle in the truck even to go to the feed store or post office, U.S. HWY 59N runs right through town, it's a main travel corridor from chitsville mehico, no telling what, who or when may blow through town, the little PD there isn't much.

Trump Won!
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
679 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12308300, 59 invisible), 3,152 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,742
Posts18,401,219
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.