Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
JCS271 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Well, another year has passed and the 2019 shoot is coming soon. Here is the info.....

Safari Rifle Challenge
World Championships in Libby, Montana
Saturday June 8, 2019 8am - 4pm

The Event: This is a family oriented shoot featuring both life size and moving targets. It is designed to simulate events encountered on an African Safari. Targets will be scored and times will be announced, but since all prizes are awarded by random drawing, you will be competing purely for the glory of sport! Participants will be expected to cheerfully help with reset of targets, powering the moving targets and any other menial labor that may be necessary for the greater good. ALL shooters must be at least 18yrs old and pre-registered. There is a $20 participation fee which will also entitle you to a commemorative match shirt.

The Guns: This is a big bore, dangerous game rifle shoot. Essentially .375/9.3 caliber or larger cartridges in single shot, bolt action or double rifles with minimum muzzle energy of approximately 4000 ft/lb. If you have an antique double rifle in a smaller caliber that is capable of taking big game then bring it! Paradox guns firing single lead balls will also be allowed. Sorry, but no handguns, pump or semi-automatic firearms. You will need about 30 rounds. ABSOLUTELY NO LIGHT LOADS!

The Rules: All guns will be placed in the racks with actions open. When it is your turn to shoot, you will be directed to get your rifle by the range master. SAFETY AND MUZZLE CONTROL ARE NON-NEGOTIABLE! The start position will generally be low ready with a round in the chamber, finger off the trigger and the safety on, unless otherwise directed by range staff. A range master “PH” will stay beside you at all times while on the course. On most stages, there will be a limited amount of ammunition allowed in your gun when starting the stage, extra rounds will have to be loaded from the belt, pocket, butt stock etc. We reserve the right to change the course of fire based on our disposition, your disposition, the untimely demise of the targets, comments from the peanut gallery, weather or whatever other factors may be present. All distances are approximate and subject to change.

The Course of fire: Shooting positions will vary from standing on your hind legs and shooting offhand, to kneeling and seated. Frequently it will be a combination of positions. Some stages may require the use of shooting sticks which will be provided. Many stages will require you to fire at a target, move to another spot, reload and then fire at a second target. All movement will be done with an empty gun and all reloading will be done once you are safely at the next shooting position. If you have any physical issues that preclude a certain activity we will cheerfully accommodate you.

The 10 stage course is specifically designed to NOT favor any particular style of rifle or sight system. Distances will vary between 5 and 75+ yards. Targets will vary from life-size broadside buffalo and elephant heads to clay birds, water jugs and steel gongs.

Location: Libby Shooting Sports Complex on Farm to Market Rd. across from the Libby Airport.

Shooting starts at 8 am SHARP! Please arrive plenty early to check in and get setup. Remember to bring lawn chairs, hat and sunscreen, food and drinks (NO ALCOHOL ON RANGE PROPERTY). Water and soft drinks will be available for purchase in the clubhouse.

Please email safaririflechallengeyahoo.com to sign up or request more information.

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation"
"Dangerous Game Hunting........because golf, football and baseball only require one ball"
GB1

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Sounds like a train load of fun. smile

Trump Won!
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Looking forward to, “not” being able to attend......again! I’ve wanted to go, as it’s right in the neighborhood, but can’t seem to make it! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 03/13/19.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Well dang memtb.

Trump Won!
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I hate the concept of reality! There’s always a chance....but. I don’t want to get my hopes up! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
IC B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
10-4, I can send ya a 577, 500 Nitro or 505 Gibbs. grin I don't have a LOTT ; ]

Trump Won!
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

gunner500, We’ve got a “Lott” of rifearms.....but we don’t have a “Lott”! smile I appreciate the offer of the aforementioned “light field cannons”.... I may have to put on my “big girl panties”, to use any one of those offered! grin I’m thinking the “fire” may have a virus....the word “Lott”, seems to be visible on a “Lott” of different threads! wink memtb

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by gunner500
Sounds like a train load of fun. smile

Wouldn’t that be.....a “Lott” of fun! smile memtb

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
LOL, 10-4 memtb, but dang, if I was in Wyo I'd have to make that shoot if at all possible, I would go for the education alone. smile

Trump Won!
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
It hurts every year, to “not” make it! It’s not a guaranteed “no go” again, just unlikely! If you decide to make it one year, maybe you would inspire me....I’d like to meet you and shake your hand! memtb

IC B3

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Same here Sir, and I can certainly see work or family commitments getting in the way. smile

Trump Won!
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Same here Sir, and I can certainly see work or family commitments getting in the way. smile

We’ve got lots of “never ending” work to do around the place. The wife has worked her behind off to make our lives better, and now that I’m retired, she/we want to travel the US before we “croak”! With time and money “limited”....we’re “juggling” activities! Which is what makes many things including the African trip, a difficult agenda! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 03/15/19.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Looks like I can make it this year!

Great excuse to shoot the 375 smile

Guy

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by memtb

We’ve got lots of “never ending” work to do around the place. The wife has worked her behind off to make our lives better, and now that I’m retired, she/we want to travel the US before we “croak”! With time and money “limited”....we’re “juggling” activities! Which is what makes many things including the African trip, a difficult agenda! memtb

I fully understand and concur, you both may want to time it like Wife and me, we want to die together, completely broke and exhausted. smile

Trump Won!
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

I fully understand and concur, you both may want to time it like Wife and me, we want to die together, completely broke and exhausted. smile

Our kids probably don’t quite see it that way! wink memtb

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Hmmm... Winchester, or Ruger?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Both are chambered for 375 H&H, both shoot well. I've only hunted with the Ruger Number One.

Looking forward to seeing some cool rifles, meeting some good folks and SHOOTING! smile

Guy

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Take the Winchester. smile

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Take the Winchester. smile

I need to go shoot something with the Winchester. You know, like a rock chuck or a coyote or something. wink

Guy

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
If we ever make it, the wife will shoot the box stock Win. Model 70 ( much heavier, little recoil), I’ll use what I’m comfortable with! But first, we have to get there! memtb

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G

Our kids probably don’t quite see it that way! wink memtb

LOLlaugh

Trump Won!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

394 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 222ND, 17CalFan, 1minute, 16penny, 44 invisible), 2,788 guests, and 1,100 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,590
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.