Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Cascade
Hmmm... Winchester, or Ruger?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Both are chambered for 375 H&H, both shoot well. I've only hunted with the Ruger Number One.

Looking forward to seeing some cool rifles, meeting some good folks and SHOOTING! smile

Guy

BOTH! of course. smile

Trump Won!
GB1

J
JCS271 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
More than a few people bring two rifles and then just pick the one most appropriate for that stage. Whatever you want to do, the more the merrier!

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation"
"Dangerous Game Hunting........because golf, football and baseball only require one ball"
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
This sounds like a blast. Get the Heym 500 BPE out and the #1 450-400, bring the 375 for a light rifle. Montana is just a long ways to travel.

Gunner my plan is not to die with $20 in my pocket and a vacation day:)

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
LOL, sounds about perfect to me GSP.

Trump Won!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I really should head up there some day! This shoot inspired a similar shoot I run here in Phoenix.

http://arizona-rifleshooting.com/safari-rifle-shoot-PRGC.html

WE got our date scheduled, Saturday 13-April-19!

so if you're in the southwest come join us to warm up (in both senses of the word) before heading to MT in the summer!

Poole
[Linked Image]

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Looking forward to the Libby MT shoot. smile

Probably bring my Ruger Number One, as a fellow has offered to buy the Model 70 and I really don't need it.

Either way, 375 H&H is the choice.

Have a lot of dark in my life lately. This is shining like something good ahead.

Regards, Guy

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Guy, I hope that you get to participate and have a great time! Fire a few rounds for me, as it looks like I’ll never get there! mad memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
J
JCS271 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Never Say Never!

"Dangerous Game Hunting........because golf, football and baseball only require one ball"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
DANG, but why's it gotta be so far away...... ????

I'm trying to think of how a guy could have any more fun for a 20 spot.........but I ain't coming up with anything.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
J
JCS271 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
[quote=Yoder409]DANG, but why's it gotta be so far away...../quote]

Good things come to those who travel! And you are correct, there is no better bargain for a $20 bill.

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
JCS271 - just handloaded 50 rounds of 375 ammo for practice. smile

270 gr Hornady round nose soft point over 69 grains of RL-15. I've used that powder charge with a 260 gr Nosler Accubond to take 3 black bears. Ya, I know, not Cape Buff, but there weren't any of those running loose here in Washington. smile

Really looking forward to the shoot! I want to see the cool rifles that I'm sure will be there!

Guy

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I won't be able to go but this is an interesting shoot. One question, I have a Marlin 45-70 and wondered would that work in this competition? I haven't checked the energy of my loads and I didn't see any mention of lever guns in the rules.

J
JCS271 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Sorry but we try and stick to traditional Safari type rifles single-shot, bolt-actions and doubles. There are a few people that are grandfathered in from the very first two shoots that we had but when they are gone that's it for lever guns. I think you should look at this as a good opportunity to buy a new big bore bolt action rifle. It's kind of a win-win!

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Thing is, the big 1886 cartridges (.50-110, .45-90, .475 Turnbull etc.) on modern steel actions are probably better "safari" stopping rifles than nearly all doubles. They're just not traditional and tend to get Africa types riled up and feeling threatened.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Tag!!!!

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Jay and all, this was my first time at the Safari Rifle Challenge and it was an absolute hoot!

Well set up, well run, lots of fun. Great people! Can't fault those kids at all, they did a great job! I met a lot of great folks today and thoroughly enjoyed.

Thanks for persisting in running this shoot - I've been wanting to get to it for several years.

Regards, Guy

J
JCS271 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
[Linked Image]

Well, the 2019 Safari Rifle Challenge is in the books and Lance Brewer of Snohomish Washington is the reigning champ. He used a Colt Sauer in .375H&H to finish 26 points ahead of second place finisher Tor Carter. Gene Gordner and Dennis Wehling tied for third.

[Linked Image]

We had a full house with shooters from 11 states and 3 Canadian provinces.

[Linked Image]

The weather was threatening but happily we (and our guns) stayed dry for the entire day.

Below are a few pictures and our course of fire. I took a lot more video than photos and will try to get them down loaded tonight. If any of you participants have good pics please post them below.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Wayne Jacobson of American Hunting Rifles putting the smackdown on some wild warthogs with one of his custom .600 OK rifles firing a 900gr bullet!

[Linked Image]

Mike Dettorre lining up on a motor driven charging hippo.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/VpBkXOcl.jpg[/img]

Taking a shot at the crossing 7' Crocodile........

[img]https://i.imgur.com/Ab49YQbl.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i.imgur.com/JOru7QRl.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i.imgur.com/3DeLRAQl.jpg[/img]

A few items that are ready for shipment back to Santa's Island for broken toys. frown

[img]https://i.imgur.com/es8hFFKl.jpg[/img]

2019 Safari Rifle Challenge Course of Fire

Main Range Events

1. Checking Zero ---- Four shooters on the line. Starting position will be two rounds in rifle, safety on. On the signal you will fire two rounds at the 45yd paper target then load and fire one round at the 100yd steel plate. Open action, show clear, muzzle up during scoring and return to the gun rack.

2. Shoot and Move---Load 1 round, safety on, low ready position. On the signal, shoot the 60 yd steel plate, move to next spot, load 1rd and shoot 80yd steel plate. Move to next spot, load 1rd and shoot the 70yd plate. Open action, show clear, muzzle up, return to gun rack when done.

3. Charging Hippo-- Rifle loaded with two rounds, safety on. On the signal, shoot the 60yd steel plate kill zone. Reload and take one shot at the charging Hippo. (Kill zones will be faintly marked for scoring purposes; you must evaluate the angle then shoot at the heart/lung area). Open action, show clear, muzzle up, return to gun rack when done.

4. Long Range Shot--Load 1 round, safety on, low ready position. On the signal, shoot the 110yd steel plate for 10 points. If you hit it then you have the option to shoot one round at the 130yd plate. If you try the far plate, score will be “DOUBLE OR NOTHING”! Open action, show clear, muzzle up when done.

5. Charging Water Jugs --- Two shooters, two rounds in rifle, safety on. The cart will start towards you on “standby” and you will then be given the shoot command. You must shoot the jug on your side then race to shoot the middle jug. Open action, show clear, muzzle up, return to gun rack when done.

Shooting Bay Events

1. Crocodile Hunting--- Two rounds in rifle, safety on, low ready. On the signal fire one round at the hanging 2’’ orange DuraSeal “croc brain” target. A hit equals 20 points and you are done. If you miss, the crocodile will immediately charge forward, and you must shoot him on the point of the near shoulder (10 points) before he escapes to the water. Open action, show clear, muzzle up when done.

2. Warthog Rodeo--- Starting position will be low ready with 2 rounds in the rifle, safety on. On the signal, shoot one round at either of the two rapidly crossing warthogs. On your shot a third warthog will rise up facing you for approx. 3 seconds. Shoot him before he disappears. Only hits that break the clay target vital zone will receive a 10-point score. Open action, show clear, muzzle up, return to gun rack.

3. Zip Line-- Two rounds in the rifle, safety on, low ready. On the signal the sliding gallon water jug will start towards you. You must shoot at the small water bottle on the stump in the corner of range BEFORE you shoot at the sliding jug. Go fast or get wet! Open action, show clear, muzzle up, return to gun rack.

4. Charging Rhino --- Two rounds in rifle, safety on, low ready. On the signal, shoot at the 4” black hanging DuraSeal diamond target. On your shot, the rhino will charge forward. (Kill zones will be faintly marked for scoring purposes; you must evaluate the angle then shoot one round at the heart/lung area). Open action, show clear, muzzle up, return to gun rack.

As I told the participants, we have recently acquired an additional 5 acres for our range and construction of an additional 3 dirt berm enclosed shooting bays (one 100yds and two 50yds) is due to start this summer. If they are ready by next June we will be able to expand our number of shooters and switch to a format of five stages running at the same time. You would just need to stroll around and shoot them all before the lunch/raffle break and then five new stages would be ready for the afternoon.

Once again, a HUGE THANKS to all of our sponsors, particularly Shawn Joyce of Diizche Safari Adventures, Dan and Andy from Skinner Sights, Wayne at American Hunting Rifles, Champion Targets and new supporter Bradley Cheek Rests!

Look forward to seeing you all next year for an even bigger and better event! JCS

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Charge of the water jugs!
[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

397 members (17CalFan, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 1lesfox, 22250rem, 37 invisible), 2,114 guests, and 1,017 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,493
Posts18,452,359
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.