24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
just a thought.....on my first trip from Capetown I was required to have ammo in a separate piece of luggage.....and they charged me plenty for that....on my second trip I gave the left over ammo to my outfitter as a gift to help other hunters.....and came home without it.....I wish I'd done that the first time.

Try to buy (if possible) your ammo over there and don't bring any of it home.....it makes life much easier. Ask your outfitter if he can have the ammo on hand when you get there....There are good gun and ammo shops in RSA and (I assume) other places. I now buy ammo in Port Elizabeth

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by vapodog
just a thought.....on my first trip from Capetown I was required to have ammo in a separate piece of luggage.....and they charged me plenty for that....on my second trip I gave the left over ammo to my outfitter as a gift to help other hunters.....and came home without it.....I wish I'd done that the first time.

Try to buy (if possible) your ammo over there and don't bring any of it home.....it makes life much easier. Ask your outfitter if he can have the ammo on hand when you get there....There are good gun and ammo shops in RSA and (I assume) other places. I now buy ammo in Port Elizabeth

What is the cost of ammo in Africa? I understand it to be quite pricey.

North of $20 per cartridge for common stuff in Zimbabwe. Embargoes are driving costs up.

T
T
I have yet to travel to Africa so I have zero experience but is it possible to send your ammo to your PH prior to your trip or order your preferred ammo from Midway/Nosler etc and have it sent directly to your PH rather than fight the airport hassle?

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Copilot; you will need export permits from the US and import permits from the country in Africa you are shipping to. Not sure how much of a pain it would be. Hopefully Marius will chime in with the voice of knowledge and experience

T
T
Thanks so much for the reply GRF, there’s so much to learn prior to a first Safari! I’m thankful for all the help.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The regs may have changed and it also depends on the counter person in South Africa, but as I recall I was limited to 11 or 11.5 pounds for the ammo and locked container. Some people say it is 11 pounds of ammo alone. I may be totally wrong on that number, but there is a weight. There is a round limit, but you will never hit that limit with the weight restriction. Also you can only have ammunition for the rifle or rifles you are taking in. You can not bring ammo with you to use in the PH loaner gun.

We landed in JoBerg and there was a huge line at customs from a flight from Australia. We had very little time to spare when we got through customs. I went to the SAPs to do the gun paperwork and my son took the luggage to the ticket counter for the flight to Port Elizabeth. He was supposed to pull the locked, separate container from my bag and hand to the clerk. The clerk just grabbed our bags and threw them on the conveyor without letting my son remove the ammo. When we got to Port Elizabeth my bag was covered in large X's made from yellow tape with wrtitng in Afrikaner. The PH said that they had detected my ammunition in the bag and had confiscated it. For whatever reason they left it in my bag.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Most of the new MTM cases for big calibers have a hole for a small padlock and I am writing this while sitting in the Dubai airport coming home from Zimbabwe and they are all that is required

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
yukonal Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BobMt

the guy " al " needs to come clean...….if not he is someone that cant be trusted....safari man al.....chickenshcit……...where is his supporters?

he's just a good old boy.....pathetic…….bob

What is this??? I don't understand this comment.

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. I bought the Apache from Harbor Freight. It is hell for stout.

The other thing that keeps coming up is...keep the separate ammunition carrier OUT of another checked bag. In other words, it's own checked bag. Actually, the PH just sent me an updated list of regs for the upcoming trip, and this was one of them.

Originally Posted by archie_james_c
I should have just
bought a [bleep] T3...

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Al, I answered your PM. That could be a new regulation I guess, depending on the airline, but I've always had my ammo in a separate case like you have, locked with TSA locks, inside my checked luggage that I can lock with masterlocks. Don't trust J'burg's handlers.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
yukonal Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bighorn
yukonal,

I have been thru the Joburg airport, on the way to other destinations, several times now, the last in this past August. I was on the way to Capetown via Joburg the last two trips.

I packed my ammo in an MTM Survivor Dry box, with a TSA lock, and my name, address, etc. inked on the outside of the box.
This box went inside my checked luggage, and I declared it with the check-in folks in Denver.

On the return, I boarded a flight (SAA) in Capetown, headed for Joburg, and then on to the USA. In Capetown, both times, I was asked to remove the ammo box from my checked luggage, and check it as a separate item.
Upon landing in Joburg, I picked it up, along with my rifle, and put it back in my checked luggage for the trip to the USA. I was not asked to remove the ammo, or have it checked, again. Went thru customs in Dulles airport, then on to Denver.

In all likelihood, your ammo will travel inside your checked luggage, and only if you are asked to do so will you need to remove it and have it checked as a separate item. I know for a fact that this will occur if you are travelling from Capetown, SA, to Johannesburg.

Thanks Bighorn. Kinda like what I've been reading. Just been told to not even put it in with another bag. I'll talk to my PH about it, and see what he has to say.

I should have just
bought a [bleep] T3...

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by yukonal
Originally Posted by BobMt

the guy " al " needs to come clean...….if not he is someone that cant be trusted....safari man al.....chickenshcit……...where is his supporters?

he's just a good old boy.....pathetic…….bob

What is this??? I don't understand this comment.

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. I bought the Apache from Harbor Freight. It is hell for stout.

The other thing that keeps coming up is...keep the separate ammunition carrier OUT of another checked bag. In other words, it's own checked bag. Actually, the PH just sent me an updated list of regs for the upcoming trip, and this was one of them.

you know dam good and well what it is all about...……..bob

yukonal Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Sorry Bob, I don't have a clue what you are talking about. I don't know you, or have ever had a deal or words with you. Perhaps you have me mixed up with someone else? If you or I have issues, please pm me. I would really like to know what you are talking about.

I post on this forum about 4-6 times a year, and have a bunch of friends that have alot of good things to say about me. And most of my posts are trying to help others. You really got me curious as to what you are talking about. Please pm me.

I should have just
bought a [bleep] T3...

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by yukonal
Sorry Bob, I don't have a clue what you are talking about.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/12736888/4

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Just got back 2 weeks ago from trip #27 to Africa with #28 coming up in 30-days.

ALWAYS pack your ammo in a separate, TSA locked box, put it inside one of your regular checked pieces of luggage and BE READY TO TAKE IT OUT AND CHECKED SEPARATELY.

Trip 27 case in point. Pelican case packed inside one piece of regular checked luggage. Delta to ATL and Delta to J'berg. Checked all the way through to J'berg - no problems. Stayed overnight in J'berg and caught the morning flight to Gaborone Botswana on Air Botswana. Declared the rifle case as required and that ammo was in a separate locked ammo case locked inside our checked bag. Had to take our ammo out and check separately to Gabby.

Coming back from Gabby to J'berg on Air Botswana, ammo case was packed in our checked bag again. Checked in at the Air Botswana check-in desk, declared our rifle case and locked ammo case inside our locked checked bags and they checked the rifle cases and the checked bags with ammo inside all the way back to Atlanta.

Go figure! TIA

Trip #28 will be Delta to Amsterdam and KLM direct to Windhoek Namibia. Going to be same rifle case, same checked bag with the same locked ammo box inside it. Luggage and rifle cases are supposed to be checked all the way through to Namibia - we'll see.

After 10-days in Namibia, we're taking Air Namibia to Gaborone for 10-days and back to Windhoek for a couple of days and back home on KLM to Amsterdam and from there on Delta home. We'll see what happens.

Point being, as I said - ALWAYS PACK THE AMMO IN A TSA LOCKED CASE. Start out in your checked luggage and it's no big deal if the requirement changes when you check in or during a transit. Things change at a moments notice or no notice at all. Just be ready and go with the flow and relax.

Last edited by M3taco; 07/05/19.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Yeah, yeah you cant't stand a liar. But you support Donald Dump a pathologic lier . . . What is wrong with that picture????? ??????????????????????

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Forgot to include and too late to edit:

It's also a good idea, if you can, to split your ammo and other clothing/kit between your bags. Example, when my wife and I go, like on this upcoming trip to Namibia and Botswana, we split half of each others clothing and kit between each of our checked bags. Same with the ammo - half of each of our ammo divided between each of our locked ammo cases and one ammo case in each checked bag. That way if one gets delayed we still have at least half of our clothing, kit and ammo until the rest shows up.

Have a friend and his son in Namibia right now. They left on 1 July and arrived 3 July. Delta/KLM via Amsterdam. One bag didn't make it when they arrived. Filled the lost bag report with KLM and sent me a copy of the report, baggage claim number and booking confirmation number. Over the past several days, and multiple calls and emails and Whatsapp messages to KLM, they finally got the bag to Namibia on the 6th and it is supposed to be driven the 500k to them today. Split their clothing, kit and ammo as above and while they have been "inconvenienced", they have had enough ammo and kit that it didn't stop the hunting.

Edited to add:

Since I mentioned the Whatsapp messaging smartphone app above, if you don't have it loaded on your phone and set up, I would highly recommend you get it. Over a billion users worldwide and it seams in Africa, if anyone has a smart phone, they use this app. It's original developers and app was bought out by [bleep] and I despise him and [bleep], the app does provide individual user to user encryption, and you can do messaging, voice and video calls to any other Whatsapp user for free over your data connection or WIFI. It also works across OS platforms, i.e. between Goggle phones and iPhones.

When we travel outside the US, when we board the plane for the flight over, the phones go into "Plane Mod" and stay there until we are back in the US. We just selectively turn on WIFI to pop email or check Whatsapp messages and make calls home or to others. Because Whatsapp is so widespread, even KLM has a Whatsapp number listed on their website. With a little advance planning before your trip, you can find at least someone at your various destinations, lodging etc. on Whatsapp and add them to your contact list. Just about every shop, cafe', restaurant in Africa has WIFI. It will be password protected but, if you are a "customer" they will give you the password and you can log on.

CAUTION - I is NOT a good idea to log on to your bank accounts or credit card accounts while on ANY public WIFI ANYWHERE, stateside or oversea unless ABSOLUTELY necessary. Exception to this would be the WIFI connection that might be available at your PH/Outfitters.

Sorry for getting way off the OP's original topic/question.

Last edited by M3taco; 07/10/19.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Went to Namibia last summer. The ammo had to be in separate locked container inside checked luggage. Maybe different this year

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've just returned from Joburg to Sydney, Australia and although they are not clear about it on the QANTAS website at the counter they ask if the ammo is separate to the rifle in a separate locked bag but not necessarily in a separate locked case that can be checked in on its own. I believe that only South African Airways (SAA) require it to be in its own container to be checked in separately-and only on flights originating from South Africa or domestic. My PH also told me that SAA now charge a handling fee for firearms & ammo. It didn't affect me as I was flying QANTAS. In Australia a Pelican box is very expensive like over $100 with the foam and so I found a tool box from an automotive store that was similar and had holes for 2 padlocks and valve for only $30. It pretty much exactly fits my 2x50 round Frankford Arsenal cases for my 375 H&H. (there is a 200 round limit in South Africa but then who needs that much). I put that in padlocked with my clothes-no issues. If it comes to it it can be checked in separately and can travel that way quite securely - a bit of insurance.

In my experience, no one actually wants to see the ammo, not customs in Australia, not the counter staff nor the police in South Africa - just the rifle - verify serial no. that's it. That's my recent experience. I travelled with a Tuffpak and a Tuffsac and that was brilliant. Slid out the soft guncase read the serial number and you are done. Don't know how they did it but got significant gouges out of the Tuffpak but rifle and contents were fine.

When its time to go home, just go to check-in counter (not police) , tell them you have a firearm/Ammo at the counter, they will call airport security for you - may take a while so make sure you have plenty of time. Make sure all your check-in bags are tagged. We had to ask more than once before Airport security finally turned up - almost 20min wait. They take you with the firearm to a room behind the check in counters actually with neon sign "Firearms Check-in". They take your SAPS520 form and verify serial no of firearm and stamp it. In my case they put QANTAS yellow tape around it to signify firearm and he told me he'll make sure it makes the flight which it did.

BTW i was travelling business and they tried to get me to pay for just 3kg overweight. I told them QANTAS policy was that they did not count the firearm case as part of weight allowance but he said that he has never heard of that. So just clarify what your airline's rules are and print it out. The counter staff are not well trained at Joburg. I mean 3kg even in economy usually they excuse that on goodwill but he said he couldn't even if he wanted to as the system wouldn't allow it. Had to call his supervisor who immediately told him the firearm does not count in baggage allowance.But still had to wait for his supervisor to give him clearance to check in with the overweight.

Hope that helps.
Regards
JohnT

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
94 members (99Ozarks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 257_X_50, 13 invisible), 1,674 guests, and 680 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,727
Posts18,400,724
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.