-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 37 of 62 1 2 35 36 37 38 39 61 62
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pigs are far and few between here, but we have a few. I haven't caught any yet, but I did build a portable rotisserie, and these anchors to tether my 'yote traps. Might work for pigs. These anchors I make, will not pull out with #300 pull straight up, when sunk 1' deep. Should hold more when pulling sideways.
I used a #300 game scale to test, and maxed it out before retrieving my anchor with a comealong.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/13653581#Post13653581

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by kellory
Pigs are far and few between here, but we have a few. I haven't caught any yet, but I did build a portable rotisserie, and these anchors to tether my 'yote traps. Might work for pigs. These anchors I make, will not pull out with #300 pull straight up, when sunk 1' deep. Should hold more when pulling sideways.
I used a #300 game scale to test, and maxed it out before retrieving my anchor with a comealong.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/13653581#Post13653581

Last year I had a couple guys join me at my lease. I had set a bunch of snares before they got there. Next morning we went on ATVs to run the snares. I think it was the 3rd one down the line that the 1/8" aircraft cable of the snare was busted. Whatever was in the snare was able to worry the cable till it severed or by brute force busted it. One of the guys asked me if I was going to track it. I told him that if whatever had got caught in that snare was able to bust it, I wanted no part of tracking it in that scrum where you can't see a foot in front of you. Been there done that.......
no thanks!

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by hanco
Snaring pigs looks like fun!

Hanco, do you ever put any of those porkers on the Pit?

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by geedubya

Last year I had a couple guys join me at my lease. I had set a bunch of snares before they got there. Next morning we went on ATVs to run the snares. I think it was the 3rd one down the line that the 1/8" aircraft cable of the snare was busted. Whatever was in the snare was able to worry the cable till it severed or by brute force busted it. One of the guys asked me if I was going to track it. I told him that if whatever had got caught in that snare was able to bust it, I wanted no part of tracking it in that scrum where you can't see a foot in front of you. Been there done that.......
no thanks!

ya!

GWB

1/8" cable has a breaking strength of 2000lbs. Must have a abraded it on a rock or something. It takes a lot to break cable, but it does metal fatigue.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P

no thanks!

ya!

GWB

1/8" cable has a breaking strength of 2000lbs. Must have a abraded it on a rock or something. It takes a lot to break cable, but it does metal fatigue.

Bigfoot. Easy.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
IC B2

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by Raeford
Originally Posted by ElkSlayer91
And the village idiot appears........

Life is obviously frustrating for you, and knowing you are a miserable son of a bitch with nothing better to do than sit at your computer for 8+ hours a day in one forum on one site, as an internet troll, brings a smile to my face.

hey, life is good in moms basement.

P.S. Your mom & dad lied......

Looks like you're the one sitting in your basement all day in your depends, and here's the proof from your posting history:

9 hours ago
Yesterday at 03:37 PM
Yesterday at 03:26 PM
Yesterday at 03:24 PM
Yesterday at 03:21 PM
Yesterday at 02:47 PM
Yesterday at 01:49 PM
Yesterday at 01:21 PM
Yesterday at 12:48 PM
Yesterday at 12:47 PM
Yesterday at 12:21 PM
Yesterday at 12:18 PM
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
Yesterday at 10:29 AM
Yesterday at 08:40 AM
Yesterday at 08:35 AM
Yesterday at 08:24 AM
03/11/19

My dad and mom were highly successful, and came from good genes that got passed down to me, think Beefmaster or Angus, not some skin and bones Cow / Calf operation like you.

"He is far from Stupid"

”person, who happens to have an above-average level of intelligence

– DocRocket (In reference to ElkSlayer91)

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Elksucker91... laugh

Look at this guy....so fat his Case smoked a front bearing carrying his lard azz around.

"He is far from Stupid"

”person, who happens to have an above-average level of intelligence

– DocRocket (In reference to ElkSlayer91)

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Life is obviously frustrating for you, and knowing you are a miserable son of a bitch with nothing better to do than sit at your computer for 8+ hours a day in one forum on one site, as an internet troll, brings a smile to my face.

Looks like you're the one sitting in your basement all day in your depends, and here's the proof from your posting history:

9 hours ago
03/11/19

My dad and mom were highly successful, and came from good genes that got passed down to me, think Beefmaster or Angus, not some skin and bones Cow / Calf operation like you.

Kinda looks like he checks in at break time to me....

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G

no thanks!

ya!

GWB

What the hey!

I don't recall if it was a new or used snare. Could have been abraded before the last snag or abraded during the current snag. Rocks aplenty at that location. I do know that there was no snare there. The snare end was gone. I've snared some big pigs that did not escape with the snare. I've been involved with hunting, snaring and trapping hogs since 1961. In my old age, I have a tendency to let the bad boyz. go. Ya! GWB

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Bags are way more convenient, but you have to pay for convenience

There is a feed store about 45 minutes south of me, that sells corn in burlap sacks or loose to your buckets, and sells by weight. He is by far the cheapest source for me, but it is still not cheap, and his hours are short, so he is seldom open to sell when I need to buy.
I'm half tempted to just have him fill the bed of the pick up next time, and shovel it into the feeders with a funnel. (Incidentally, a carboid water bottle makes a damn good funnel for a 55gal barrel. Fits the fill holes perfectly.)

You hunt over a feeder too?

Since I already posted exactly what I do with my feeders, how I hunt, and what I fill em with, I would suggest you actually read what I wrote, before asking dumb ass questions. wink

I don’t wanna read your diary

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B3

hanco Offline OP
Campfire Savant
OP Offline
Campfire Savant
We bbq a small pig every once in a while. They are mostly buzzard bait.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bags are way more convenient, but you have to pay for convenience

There is a feed store about 45 minutes south of me, that sells corn in burlap sacks or loose to your buckets, and sells by weight. He is by far the cheapest source for me, but it is still not cheap, and his hours are short, so he is seldom open to sell when I need to buy.
I'm half tempted to just have him fill the bed of the pick up next time, and shovel it into the feeders with a funnel. (Incidentally, a carboid water bottle makes a damn good funnel for a 55gal barrel. Fits the fill holes perfectly.)

You hunt over a feeder too?

Since I already posted exactly what I do with my feeders, how I hunt, and what I fill em with, I would suggest you actually read what I wrote, before asking dumb ass questions. wink

I don’t wanna read your diary

You used to do your homework on deeranddeerhunting.com. now you want to be spoon fed?
I have several feeders, usually 2 are active. Gravity feeders. I move acorns from in city where they will just go out as yard waste, to my feeders. I do it to give them more food through the winter, and better health. I might hunt at a feeder if all I wanted was a doe, but bucks are nocturnal feeders. For the most part, I find my deer away from the feeders. Is that concise enough for you, or should I post it again in multiple languages?

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R

9 hours ago
03/11/19

Reading comprehension.....Life IS good in moms basement.
Gotta go, mom just put out the call for breakfast......

FJB & FJT
hanco Offline OP
Campfire Savant
OP Offline
Campfire Savant
Feeders keep the Does coming around. I’ve never killed a big one under a feeder either. I’ve killed nice bucks on corn I’ve scattered up and down the roads.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Your dad must have produced some good milk.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by deflave

Your dad must have produced some good milk.

Black Angus-Guernsey mix......

FJB & FJT
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ElkSucker91
I prefer black anus, just like my dad did....

No doubt about this troll. eek

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Feeders keep the Does coming around. I’ve never killed a big one under a feeder either. I’ve killed nice bucks on corn I’ve scattered up and down the roads.

That has also been my experience over the last 20 years I've been employing spin cast feeders. Does come to the feeders, bucks in the rut go nuts and chase does. That's typically when one has the opportunity to take a good buck on a low fenced lease where there is sufficient groceries that an animal does not have to come to the feeder to exist.

A couple examples. We had a 160 acre place in east Texas from 1961 until 2007. A friend and I kept three feeders going for three years between 2004 and 2007. We fed a corn/roasted soybean/green pea/protien mix. We had game cams out on each of the feeders. In that three year period we did not have one picture of a buck in the daylight. Lots of pictures of does, day and night. Bucks, and some good ones at that would show up, generally between midnight and 5 AM.

Here is a buck I called "the Claw"

[Linked Image]

I and several of my buds had this buck on game cams that were at different locations at our 1,700 acre trespass lease. In three years his image was captured only at night, never in the day. In fact, not one of nine guys had ever actually laid eyes on him. I was sitting at my only ground blind on my birthday, Dec. 21, two years ago IIRC. It was in the gloaming of that eve when I saw him walking behind a pen where I had a feeder. If you don't have a pen, hogs will consume every kernel of corn before anything else other than coons gets a chance. I watched him for only a couple minutes. This pen is 30' x 30' hog panel. He came in from the back right side of the pen, walked the length of the pen, right to left and something spooked him. I typically set up my blinds north west of my feeders as our prevailing winds are from the southeast. I don't think he got my wind but I could tell he was getting ready to bolt. I managed to thread a bullet through the hog panel on both sides and make a good hit. I could tell from the "whop" of the bullet.

One last example from a lease in Woodsboro Tx.

Unlike my Reagan wells lease, at the Woodsboro lease I have cell service. Consequently at the one pen I have there, I have a game cam with a modem on the pen. I also keep a feeder going outside the pen, situated about 100 yds. down a sendero that runs about a mile long from the southwest on my left to the northeast on my right.

Here is a typical sequence, taken while using a Tamron 150 to 600 lens on Canon 7dMk2 which has a 1.6 crop factor.

Buck at the end of the Sendero to the left of my stand.

[Linked Image]

buck at 300 yds +/-

[Linked Image]

buck at +/- 200 yds

[Linked Image]

buck at +/- 100 yds.

[Linked Image]

A nice mature six point cull.

[Linked Image]

Fifteen members on this lease, each having a contiguous 640 acre plot to hunt. No one had seen him before, and I had no game cam pix of the buck.

Oh yeah, feeders do one thing really well, they keep hogs in the area. I generally set up a feeder early in the year. I will not hunt it for several months. That way the hogs get it in their piggy little brains that this is where the groceries are. I generally keep five feeders going, throwing about 100 lbs of corn, protein and milo per month. I have two pens, one that is also set up with a trap door for trapping hogs. I go up at least once a month, sometimes twice. Usually take 3 to 5 hogs each time I go. Like the saying, perforating hoglets is not a passion, its an obsession.

ya!

GWB

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Here is a buck I called "the Claw"..

Oh boy! You have done it now!

You "named a deer"...

You are going straight to hell! Do not pass Go! grin

Nice culling work there! smile

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
hanco Offline OP
Campfire Savant
OP Offline
Campfire Savant
Trapping hogs is too much fun. How come you weren’t out in the brush stalking that buck like a real hunter???😎😎😎😎

Page 37 of 62 1 2 35 36 37 38 39 61 62

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 1337Fungi, 1beaver_shooter, 58 invisible), 2,448 guests, and 1,157 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,327
Posts18,468,536
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.