Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Back last year there was a discussion going on regarding Lee Collet Dies. Somebody wrote a detailed set of instructions on how they used the dies that differed somewhat from the factory instructions.

I bought a few Collet Dies over the summer and used the 8X57 die and those instructions putting together my hunting load for the Mauser From Hell. That batch of rounds shot better than any previous loads, and I managed to get one of the best groups I've ever shot.

Now I'm going back through the posts, and I'll be deuced if I can find those instructions.

Please, point me in the right direction. I now have Lee Collet Dies for 4 different chamberings, and I'm ready to start my spring reloading jag.

BTW: A quick update on the Mauser from Hell. I found a gunsmith close by and dropped the MFH off for a new 2-position safety that isn't bothered by the scope. It's back now on the rack. Back in November, I used the MFH to take my buck-- dropped him at 150 yards with one shot.

Thanks again for all your kind help getting me through this rifle rehab.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here you go.....

Mathman directions for Lee Collet die

The first thing I recommend is to ignore the instructions supplied with the die.

The second thing I recommend is to ignore whether or not the press you're using cams over at the top of its stroke.

The die squeezes the neck onto a mandrel, so for a given neck thickness there is a finite limit to how much sizing you can achieve. This die will need adjustment to suit different thicknesses of brass.

Raise the press ram to the top of its stroke. Thread the die into the press until the bottom of the sizing collet (not the die body) just touches the shell holder. Measure the neck OD of a piece of brass.

Run the brass through the die using a full press stroke. It should take no effort since if you're set up as described the die has done no sizing. Turn the die into the press about 1/4 turn. Run the brass in again. You probably won't feel much sizing going on, but give the neck a measurement just to see. If it's still nothing, screw the die in another 1/4th and try again. You'll may start feeling a bit going on as you work the press handle, and if so you'll be able to measure a little sizing taking place.

Rinse and repeat using 1/16th turn in increments for the die. You'll feel increases in the force required for the sizing stroke. Since you're measuring the neck after each pass you'll eventually find two increments where the neck didn't get any smaller. NOW STOP TURNING THE DIE INTO THE PRESS. Remember you're squeezing the brass against a solid steel mandrel which isn't going to give, so even if the press stroke didn't feel like it took very much force the neck is as small as it's going to get.

There's a learning curve to the die, but it isn't hard.

I like to run cases through the die twice, spinning the case about 1/3 turn (rather than the 1/2 turn in the instructions) between passes. This means the parts of the neck that were under the splits in the collet fingers on the first pass will get hit on the second.

What fresh Hell is this?
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Puts together most accurate ammo he ever shot.........is worried if he is doing it correctly...... laugh

I am MAGA.
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Many thanks! I'll print that to PDF and put it on my reloading room laptop.

Jim: Sorry if I was unclear. It was with those instructions that I got the awesome accuracy.

After the success with 8X57, I bought dies for 223 REM, 30-06, and 25-06.

MATHMAN: You have definitely changed my life for the better.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Puts together most accurate ammo he ever shot.........is worried if he is doing it correctly...... laugh

All of us here fear disappointing mathman!😱

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When the aluminum cap on the top of the die goes 'pop' flying straight up sticking into the ceiling drywall.....you've over tightened it...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bushrat
When the aluminum cap on the top of the die goes 'pop' flying straight up sticking into the ceiling drywall.....you've over tightened it...

......which is why I have a little bag of them on a nail over my bench. Getting the little bits of AL-U-minny-um out of the die threads is a bitch.

My collet in my .243 die tends to get stuck at times and will crush a case before you can say boo. Not sure why yet; it's on my list of little mysteries.

What fresh Hell is this?
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Yeah, those big compound presses are hard on aluminum die caps. Don't ask how I know that... blush

Too much muscle, not enough thinking... wink

Lee will send you replacements, just call.

Another good thing, you can borrow a cap off another die and keep on loading.

Mathman's instructions beat the heck out of Lee's attempt. They should hire him to write their stuff.

DF

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Originally Posted by bushrat

......which is why I have a little bag of them on a nail over my bench. Getting the little bits of AL-U-minny-um out of the die threads is a bitch.

My collet in my .243 die tends to get stuck at times and will crush a case before you can say boo. Not sure why yet; it's on my list of little mysteries.

Have you ever completely cycled the press, with the die installed of course, but without a case in the shell holder? That can collapse the collet fingers and lead to problems.

Take the collet out of the die and push a tapered punch into the collet. See if you can get the fingers to stay spread out a little bit more.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sure I have, but I don't think that's what's happening in this case, more like it's hanging up in the die because when I take it out, the fingers aren't collapsed. Last time I took it out and wiped it with a tiny bit of Ballistol and also the inside of the die. Since I was busy and the problem solved, I just went on with my work. Never happened with my other ones. I'll finger it out, but thanks.

Gotta agree with Shaman, your instructions are a big help.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

True dat. I've even quit putting ice in my whisky. (a little spring water sometimes) laugh

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael

True dat. I've even quit putting ice in my whisky. (a little spring water sometimes) laugh

[Linked Image]

Last edited by shaman; 03/14/19.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I wonder if Lee has a patent on the Collet die? Anybody else make one?

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
I wonder if Lee has a patent on the Collet die? Anybody else make one?

Bet they do.

I've not seen anything on the market similar to that one.

DF

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
What I wonder/wish is that lee would pair the collet die with a body die

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by noKnees

They're almost there with their Deluxe set. I don't care for their FL die, but it makes a great body die. Just grind the die neck to clear the case neck and you have a body die. Have posted this before.

DF

[Linked Image]

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by noKnees

They're almost there with their Deluxe set. I don't care for their FL die, but it makes a great body die. Just grind the die neck to clear the case neck and you have a body die. Have posted this before.

DF

[Linked Image]

I have done it based upon your example, but about half of my collet dies are customs. Besides Lee could do this super easy and a body die is such a common sense complement to the collet die.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
It seems like they could just pull regular FL dies before hardening and ream the necks oversized.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
It wouldn’t be hard. Just the marketing, customer demand issue.

Other than a few Loony types, who even knows what a body die is or what you do with it.

So, not sure if such a great idea is ready for prime time.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
N
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
It wouldn’t be hard. Just the marketing, customer demand issue.

Other than a few Loony types, who even knows what a body die is or what you do with it.

So, not sure if such a great idea is ready for prime time.

DF

Or, Lee could get with you to write their upgraded instructions on the collet neck sizer. You could write another part on why the customer needs a body die, when and how to use it. Then, include the body die with the collet neck sizer. And with the new die set, add a Forster type seater.

That would be the ultimate die set. Would need no other.

DF

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
713 members (222Sako, 10gaugemag, 222ND, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 75 invisible), 2,722 guests, and 1,373 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,626
Posts18,398,718
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.