Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I have a .22 barrel blank laying around that I got in a horse trade a long time ago which cost me virtually nothing. I could profile it and thread it in my lathe and fit it up to a 99 action for $0. Biggest (and only) expense would be the cost of a .225 reamer, and the rental of same for a couple days is pretty cheap. Rotors and cartridge guides I have- I bet one of them would work. If I wanted to create a unique 99 I could do it for the cost of a brick of .22 long rifle ammo and a few hours of time.

A non-Tinkerbelle without tools and skills might blanche at the cost of having it done, and pale at the thought of doing it in the first place. But as long as no 99's were harmed in the making of this film I don't see why not. Stuff like this is done completely without regard to resale value- who cares? I have a king's ransom tied up in my "collection" but recouping the money for my estate would be impossible because of some of the bast*rds that make up said collection- but I don't care, they give me pleasure now while I'm alive and when I'm dead I won't care because, well, I'll be dead (with no heirs to consider).

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I have a .22 barrel blank laying around that I got in a horse trade a long time ago which cost me virtually nothing. I could profile it and thread it in my lathe and fit it up to a 99 action for $0. Biggest (and only) expense would be the cost of a .225 reamer, and the rental of same for a couple days is pretty cheap. Rotors and cartridge guides I have- I bet one of them would work. If I wanted to create a unique 99 I could do it for the cost of a brick of .22 long rifle ammo and a few hours of time.

A non-Tinkerbelle without tools and skills might blanche at the cost of having it done, and pale at the thought of doing it in the first place. But as long as no 99's were harmed in the making of this film I don't see why not. Stuff like this is done completely without regard to resale value- who cares? I have a king's ransom tied up in my "collection" but recouping the money for my estate would be impossible because of some of the bast*rds that make up said collection- but I don't care, they give me pleasure now while I'm alive and when I'm dead I won't care because, well, I'll be dead (with no heirs to consider).

You really should just buy a Savage 340 and stop talking nonsense. wink

LOL
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Been there, done that, and am happy to leave them for others to enjoy.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Been there, done that, and am happy to leave them for others to enjoy.

But it's the only correct way to get a 225. Any other way to a .225 Winchester is foolish.

Indeed, building any non-factory Savage lever action is foolishness.

For three times the price of a modified Savage you could buy an 1899CD, which is of course the only logical path to take when discussing Savage lever action rifle ownership. All other paths are foolishness.

But, feel free to exercise your foolishness, no skin off my back, just letting the world know it's foolish and I don't do it because I'm righteous, and you my friend, are foolish.

But feel free. I just won't do it because I'm up here, and you're down there.

LOL
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Calhoun
What does a 99 in 225 get you that a 99 in 250-3000 doesn't? A less powerful cartridge that's useful for fewer things?

By this logic we should all be shooting 50 BMG's.

Tell us, were just having a bad night Rory?

LOL
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Fireball2
What does a 99 in 225 get you that a 99 in 250-3000 doesn't? A less powerful cartridge that's useful for fewer things?

I think he was just saying that it just did'n turn his crank , all his posts had a smilie face.

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Actually, yes, I've had a damned bad week. Working around the clock for about 3 months now, my brother almost died in a car accident a couple days ago, and my patience is non-existent.

Anything else?

gnoahh, obviously my comments weren't geared to somebody who could do the work themselves. It's like building your own Stith, somebody like LBK can do it just because it's interesting and simply because he wanted to. Make sense for anybody else to pay someone of his skill set to do it? I'd fail to see that logic..

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
So, all shooters must resign themselves to using strictly what the factory deemed they should have and nothing else? Savage/Winchester/Remington/Ruger know's what's best for me- love 'em or leave 'em. Meh.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Never once said you have to resign yourself to anything, I've said repeatedly you are free to do whatever you want with your time or your money.

I'm done.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O M G is this ever boring.

Yawn...

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by norm99

I think he was just saying that it just did'n turn his crank , all his posts had a smilie face.

I didn't know you could get a 99 in a 50 BMG? I have to check on gun broker!
norm

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So, all shooters must resign themselves to using strictly what the factory deemed they should have and nothing else? Savage/Winchester/Remington/Ruger know's what's best for me- love 'em or leave 'em. Meh.

this is why we have Mausers and 03 springfields. we can make them into anything our sick little minds can come up with! crazy grin

Rory , prayers for your brothers speedy recovery .

Last edited by deerstalker; 03/15/19.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would think that the 219 Zipper would be an ideal replacement for a shot/worn out 22 HP, 25-35 or 30-30 barrel. Easily found brass, a plethora of bullets and no action work. With no mag tube any .224 bullet can be used, it would make a great coyote hunting rifle.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Huh. I've been saying all along that the .22 HP would be an excellent candidate for re-barreling a shot out .219 Zipper.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Since its a Winchester round maybe we should just buy one of their beasts that was chambered in 225. That way if we don't like it could just chuck it in the garbage can because, after all, it's a Winchester and Savage rules!

Here's an overpriced beauty:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/800554505

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I have a 99 re barreled to 219 Zipper. It has a heaver barrel and shoots quite well. Unfortunately it us a little heavy for all day carry.
Steve

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well I just got back from hunting No luck at all
But I do have an 1899A that was sleeved for 225, brought it at an auction with 5 pkts of 225 ammo
years ago I discussed this on the forum but everybody was horrified
I have never attempted to shoot it but one day will

One in the hand is better than two in the bush

Graham
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I'd like to know how that works kiwi. Thanks for posting.

LOL
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by kiwi
Well I just got back from hunting No luck at all
But I do have an 1899A that was sleeved for 225, brought it at an auction with 5 pkts of 225 ammo
years ago I discussed this on the forum but everybody was horrified
I have never attempted to shoot it but one day will

Yeah, that is interesting as I've always heard sleeving hi power cartridge barrels was not a safe thing to do. Not being critical here, just interested in knowing more.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

190 members (1eyedmule, 12344mag, 257 mag, 338rcm, 2UP, 300jimmy, 12 invisible), 1,380 guests, and 884 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,061
Posts18,463,286
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.