Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Ive been wearing the perfect hunter and hikers from Cabela’s.
I’ll be needing a new pair soon.
Since the buy out anything good at Cabela’s has been replaced with redhead crap !
So I’m wondering if the Buthan would be a good replacement ?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I was thinking about these or, some like these.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Stilllearning
Since the buy out anything good at Cabela’s has been replaced with redhead crap !

I don't disagree with your statement about the Redhead crap but the Cabela's in EH CT still has Meindl's in stock

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Bill_N

I don't disagree with your statement about the Redhead crap but the Cabela's in EH CT still has Meindl's in stock

The few they are carrying now are nowhere near the same as the ones several years ago.
The old perfekt hunter and hikers were darn good boots. As well as the Denali and the Alaskan.
The new perfekt light hiker is a cheap shoe not a heavy duty boot.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The idiots have stopped carrying them? WOT?????

Murphy was a grunt.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bill_N

The few they are carrying now are nowhere near the same as the ones several years ago.
The old perfekt hunter and hikers were darn good boots. As well as the Denali and the Alaskan.
The new perfekt light hiker is a cheap shoe not a heavy duty boot.
Even the "good" Cabelas Meindls were a bit lesser than true Meindls, IMO. I have a pair of Denali's that I'm happy with, but will go with real Meindls or something from Lathrop and Sons next go around.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Iowa extreme hunters

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I loved my old Meindls for years til the soles finally gave out 2 seasons ago. Went on the Danner website and ordered a pair of Made in the USA Danners (not the foreign made store bought ones). Some of the best and most comfortable boots I've ever owned. After 2 seasons including 2 trips to Montana following my guide up and down every mountain he could find, they just seem to get more comfortable. Don't even know if they carry them on the website anymore, that was 2 years ago. They're not cheap but not much made in USA is anymore.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have also severed my relationship with Cabela's. No good to have Cabela's points when they only carry crap that I don't want to buy.

My favorite boots right now:

Non-insulated
https://schnees.com/beartooth-ii/

Insulated
https://schnees.com/beartooth-ii-insulated/

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
How do the Schnees compare to the crispi’s ?
Been eyeing the Nevada

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Sorry, never used or even tried on any Crispis.

I could compare them against Danner's military boots (similar to Danner Pronghorn or Danner Acadias), or Lowa Tibets, or Schnees Granites, or Scarpa Triolets if helpful. Those are I think all the duty or hunting boot styles I've worn over the past 19 or so years.

Without reference for the Crispis, the Schees Beartooth feels lightweight but have worn really well. They offer very good stability, but not so stiff as a pair or Triolets or Granites. Since they are a 9-inch boot they offer good waterproofing while wading across creeks, but there are some 10-inch boots that might be better. In general I think the Beartooths are a good compromise of many other boots--good stability up/down ravines but not so stiff that you can't walk softly. Good height and waterproofing. Good durability. They are pricey though!

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Schnees warranty looks to be better , and their rebuild program looks nice as well.

J
JRK Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I bought these Zamberlans,year ago, to replace my meindl denalis: https://www.vermontgear.com/997.html. Used them on 2 backpack hunts and multiple days, feel like I should have bought an extra pair as they've been discontinued. I had used zamberlans b4 and knew they fit me.

I have had good luck with zamberlans and also think (and I have lots of mountaineering experience) that mountaineering boots are typically too stiff and not really ideal for most mtn hunting, I think you need torsional rigidity (boot resists twisting if you hold by heel and toe and twist) more than the rigid sole needed for kicking steps and accepting step in crampons for glacier travel...

I also really like lowas scenes and kennetrek. Several friends that hunt brutal country like salmon quest 4ds, kinda high techy.

They really need to fit, though, the zams are great but only if they fit you...

J
JRK Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
...and I always thought cabelas has offered mixed quality, but the redhedization really is wrecking them..

J
JRK Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
...and I always thought cabelas has offered mixed quality, but the redhedization really is wrecking them..

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The Bhutan looks heavier than the Perfeckt even the older model. The Bhutan is a hiker/back packing boot and the Perfect is more of a hiking shoe, I would get the Bhutan. Amazon and Zappo's have a fairly full line of Mendl's. Also take a look at Sierra trading post they have some good deals on Scarpa and Asolo boots and I have always liked the Alico's as an old school alpine boot https://www.sierra.com/alico-made-in-italy-summit-hiking-boots-leather-for-men~p~61270/?filterString=mens-hiking-boots~d~360%2F I have had three different models and they all held up well and can be re-built easily.

I am almost to the point that Bass Pro and probably Cabela's now are like Walmart in that I will only go there if there is no other choice.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
You do know, I suppose, the BassPro bought Cabela's a few years ago, when Cabela's got in some bad financial straits. So Cabela's now owned by BassPro.

Ghost
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
You guys seem to like way more boot than I do. The Salomon Quest 4D 3 GTX is a great boot that is plenty of boot for all my hunting, hiking, and backpacking needs.

As far as wadding across rivers, I always remove my boots to do so.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
All leather outers for me.
Longer durability and are waterproof longer for me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

345 members (1lesfox, 160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 33 invisible), 1,522 guests, and 1,037 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,225
Posts18,447,643
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.