Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 263 of 774 1 2 261 262 263 264 265 773 774
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Pulled piggy !

[Linked Image]

Mini ditch in back ground. Makers Mark & a splash.

[Linked Image]

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
GB2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ironbender
Cut up one of our freedom rangers. Too windy to mess with the grill, so I baked them. Wife made fried rice.

'bender,

was that a bird left over from spring or summer? Or just "old".

On your recommendation, I might see if I can get a few this year. Feed store should be getting chicks in soon, so I'll have to make up my mind. Not sure I want to start any for a few weeks as I go under the knife for a new knee in a week.. But if I can get a late group, I can butcher them before fall maybe.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Jim,

My wife got the recipe off the net, for all I know it's one of the ones the other guys have posted. next time she fires up her laptop she's going to send it to me. She made a substitution or two, as we don't always have everything called for and we ain't running 15 miles into town just for a spice shaker of "savory". wink

This recipe sorta reminded me a bit of Beef Bourguignon. All I know is I liked it. Told my wife last night that next time we might make it with stew beef. Friggen beef tailbones are selling here for $6 a lb. Seems I remember they used to be cheap and down in the "ethnic" end of the meat counter where one could find hog maws, beef tongue and shanks, and chicken gizzards.......................you know, stuff us ethnic Eye Tal Ians might eat.

I hope that butcher can save you some of the "parts" Jim. If I ever did the same, my wife would be PO'd as I'd be having him save the head to go in the pit I was digging as he was butchering! Nothing like cabeza tacos!

I always wondered, on those home butchering deals, does the butcher get the hide to sell?

I hope that all goes well for you Jim. For me it would be so satisfying to eat some beef I raised from "babyhood".

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
You must be feeling a bit better Charlie?

A little bit Jim....thanks for asking....my back is still out and my blood counts are still a worry but my stomach is at least trying to behave.

I've actually gained back 4 of the 28 pounds I lost and more importantly.....I can get a beer down once in a while.

That's grand Charlie, that you've gained back some weight.

My back is shot too, but I've got the knee operation next week, so the back is one hold for now. Don't know if I'm going with another round of shots in the back or going to try something new next time.

I drew a cow elk tag in AZ for next fall and wanted the knee fixed first so I can try to get back into some kind of shape (round is a shape, right grin ) for hunting season. Hopefully, after the knee work is done I can get something done on the back. It's either that or tylenol and a hot pad.

Good luck on further recovery Charlie.

Geno

PS, that round chili looks tasty.

In it is contentment

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Cut up one of our freedom rangers. Too windy to mess with the grill, so I baked them. Wife made fried rice.

'bender,

On your recommendation, I might see if I can get a few this year. Feed store should be getting chicks in soon, so I'll have to make up my mind. Not sure I want to start any for a few weeks as I go under the knife for a new knee in a week.. But if I can get a late group, I can butcher them before fall maybe.

Geno

Geno
Whole frozen bird from last summer. We raised a dozen.

Having been tbrough tbe TKA biz (2x), I'd recommend waiting at least 2 months post sx before getting birds. Does your feed store have arrival dates you can order for?

We typically get ours early June. Start them in a kid's wading tub in the garage for about 2 weeks, and then move them to the pen outside. We butcher at about +/- 9 weeks.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Valsdad

'bender,

Geno

Geno
Whole frozen bird from last summer. We raised a dozen.

Having been tbrough tbe TKA biz (2x), I'd recommend waiting at least 2 months post sx before getting birds. Does your feed store have arrival dates you can order for?

We typically get ours early June. Start them in a kid's wading tub in the garage for about 2 weeks, and then move them to the pen outside. We butcher at about +/- 9 weeks.

Yeah, I think he'll do arrival dates as to the best of my recollection that's what we did last year. I'm not sure how late though. Mid march surgery + 8 weeks = mid May arrival of birds. I'm going in to the feed store in the next couple of days so I'll ask then if I can get them that late. Not as cold here as where you are, but not a big population either and I think he only orders for about six weeks, arrivals start right about now. I got mine around the third week in March last year.

Thanks for the advice. I'll see if I can get a late order, if not, I wait for next year. Or I let my hens sit on some eggs and grow some "mixed genetics" chickies for the pot.

Geno

In it is contentment

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by FatCity67
Roast and Blue cheese walnut broccoli salad.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Like your choice in cutlery sir. I have a whole block of those things on my counter.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Also, you can order directly from a hatchery. You would have to get to your post office pronto - PO will call upon arrival. We ordered that way for many years.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
Originally Posted by FatCity67
Roast and Blue cheese walnut broccoli salad.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Like your choice in cutlery sir. I have a whole block of those things on my counter.

I found all my Cutco cutlery at garage sales and flea markets. Needless to say saved hundreds.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Pulled piggy !

[Linked Image]

Mini ditch in back ground. Makers Mark & a splash.

[Linked Image]

Nice Paul!!

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was going to cheat and make some biscuits from a can to go with dinner tonight. After seeing them on the shelf I decided to make my own.

[Linked Image]

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Laughing..,.

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Made cabbage soup the other night before I went back to work... it hit the spot after a long day in the cold...

[Linked Image]

Public landowner...
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Ptarmigan
I was going to cheat and make some biscuits from a can to go with dinner tonight. After seeing them on the shelf I decided to make my own.
[Linked Image]

I guess that’s the reason they’re marked down 55%!

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Chicken bacon Alfredo;

[Linked Image]

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
CWT Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Ptarmigan

[Linked Image]

My mom always made her own biscuits. My aunt didn't. She would always buy Hungry Jacks which is what those used to be called.( They gobble them down and the plate comes back for hungry jack ) remember that? Any way one day my aunt was running behind on Sunday dinner, which for us it the south is lunch, she said oh no I don't have any biscuits. She asked me to go down to the store and buy some Happy Jacks. We called them that ever since but that was a long time ago.

Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms should be a convenience store; not a government agency.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Frozen, breaded flounder fillets done in the Hair Friar - accompanied by my not-so-secret tartar sauce, "stove-baked" beans, Kraft M&C, cabbage salad (green and red cabbage, carrot, green onion with a dressing of sugar, oil, vinegar, salt, pepper, and celery salt).

Last edited by 5sdad; 03/15/19.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
That sure sounds good John, fish chowder here.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Steak and baked potatoes..

Molon Labe
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
TV Dinner !

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 263 of 774 1 2 261 262 263 264 265 773 774

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
615 members (2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 62 invisible), 2,474 guests, and 1,126 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,599
Posts18,398,245
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.