Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by RAN

It is really the fact that the investment cast receivers, cylinders, bolts, etc. are made from chrome-moly alloy steel very similar to 4140. The chrome inhibits rusting enough so that rust bluing is difficult to do.

RAN

I have a Sako L579 with a Douglas barrel (chrome moly 4140, I think) that is ready to be blued (in the white). I want to rust blue it for the classic blued look and durability. Is rust bluing not as advisable for modern alloy steels as some other bluing? I've got the Laurel Mountain Forge browning/blueing solution, a rusting box and steam tube made, but if some other bluing method will better give me the look and durability that rust blue is known for, I'll go with that.

I also wanted to put Gun Kote (the nano ceramic stuff) on it after bluing. Is there something to stop the bluing process that doesn't require oil (because you have to degrease to put the Gun Kote on).. I'd rather put oil over the Gun Kote, if possible; it really helps prevent unwanted rusting of blued steels in my experience.

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
You'll be fine.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
R
RAN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Steven60
Originally Posted by RAN

It is really the fact that the investment cast receivers, cylinders, bolts, etc. are made from chrome-moly alloy steel very similar to 4140. The chrome inhibits rusting enough so that rust bluing is difficult to do.

RAN

I have a Sako L579 with a Douglas barrel (chrome moly 4140, I think) that is ready to be blued (in the white). I want to rust blue it for the classic blued look and durability. Is rust bluing not as advisable for modern alloy steels as some other bluing? I've got the Laurel Mountain Forge browning/blueing solution, a rusting box and steam tube made, but if some other bluing method will better give me the look and durability that rust blue is known for, I'll go with that.

I also wanted to put Gun Kote (the nano ceramic stuff) on it after bluing. Is there something to stop the bluing process that doesn't require oil (because you have to degrease to put the Gun Kote on).. I'd rather put oil over the Gun Kote, if possible; it really helps prevent unwanted rusting of blued steels in my experience.

You can rust blue it, but the final color will not be quite the deep dark blue that is seen on low carbon steel as used on black powder era guns. I consider the color acceptable, but you might not. You must judge for yourself. Alternative bluing methods such a hot salt blue over a fine bead blasted surface or charcoal blue will be look better IMHO. You can stop rust blue anytime after a carding session. There is no need to oil it to terminate the process.

Gun Kote appears to be a pigmented epoxy paint. Why would you put this over rust blue??? The instructions specify 120 grit abrasive blast which would completely remove the blue. Explain, I'm mystified.

RAN

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Oops, my mistake. I meant Dyna Tek Gun Shield, not Gun Kote. Is the hot salt blue over bead blasting more durable than just hot bluing alone?

K
killerv Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Sounds like I may have been at a little disadvantage trying rust blue on this gun.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Steven60, you will be just fine rust bluing your bolt gun. I done many and haven't had any problem. You've got the right rust bluing solution, Laurel Mountain. It will probably take 7 or 8 rusting, carding, boiling sessions to get it where you want it.
Phil

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I've seen sandpaper grits from # 280 to #400 recommended for the metal finish, with some claiming they can't get a good "bite" for the acid mixture with #400. I've got mine sanded with #320. Any reason to use a different grit?

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I always go to 400x. Did 600x a couple times, couldn't really see the worth in it plus it took more applications.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
All of the Belgian hot water bluing I did in the Browning Arms gunsmithing shop were not polished any finer than 320 grit. Finer than that is not necessary and will prove counterproductive, the bluing solution not getting a good bite is a fact.

R
RAN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Steven60
Oops, my mistake. I meant Dyna Tek Gun Shield, not Gun Kote. Is the hot salt blue over bead blasting more durable than just hot bluing alone?

Not really. The bead blasting is simply a method of producing a satin surface that simulates that produced by rust bluing. For straight rust bluing, 320 grit SC wet of dry paper will be as fine as you need to polish before starting the process.

RAN

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

179 members (257_X_50, 19rabbit52, 270winchester, 16penny, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 24 invisible), 1,950 guests, and 906 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,172
Posts18,465,369
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.