-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the link.. That would be a very special hunt for me; as I'm Scottish on my father's side with both his parents born & raised there and I still have relatives in the Dundee area. My surname traces back to northern Scotland. A hunt like that would allow me to celebrate my Scottish roots in a time honored way and carry on a grand old sport..... ( How's that for an excuse to justify another hunt?)...... But it really would be worthwhile from my point of view. I'd probably have to use one of their rifles, though, based on what I've heard concerning the firearms regulations.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Might be best not to contemplate this too long. Hunting of all sorts is under constant assault in the UK from various Anti- groups, who care not a whit about scientific game management or the economics of the business, and certainly not tradition. In Scotland, you have to have a license for a BB gun, if you can believe it. Point being, the opportunity may not exist in the near future, so get 'er done!

The Fieldsports Channel on YouTube has a huge library of past episodes featuring stalking in Scotland, as well as on the deer themselves, the business, and the culture. There's at least one on getting "The Outfit", as kaywoodie calls it, and I gather it's seldom, if ever optional, but rather expected. Might be the costliest part of the whole deal! (If I'm wrong about this part, I apologize, but it's certainly the impression I've gotten).

What fresh Hell is this?
G
GRF Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Sage advice Pappy.

The "outfit" was not required when I hunted but the more wool the better as it is wet, like belly crawling on a big sponge.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There has been an assault on "blood sports" over there by the usual bunch of anti groups and the firearms laws get worse all the time. Two or three years ago a cousin of mine over there surrendered a worn out air rifle during the amnesty period when you could turn them in instead of registering them. He said for a worn out air rifle it wasn't worth the hassle and red tape involved; just for a lousy air rifle. The impression I have concerning their firearms laws is that I'd be afraid to even try to bring my rifle there even for a pre-arranged hunt. But of course; that's the direction the USA is headed in if a lot of people in this country get their way.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by 22250rem
There has been an assault on "blood sports" over there by the usual bunch of anti groups and the firearms laws get worse all the time. Two or three years ago a cousin of mine over there surrendered a worn out air rifle during the amnesty period when you could turn them in instead of registering them. He said for a worn out air rifle it wasn't worth the hassle and red tape involved; just for a lousy air rifle. The impression I have concerning their firearms laws is that I'd be afraid to even try to bring my rifle there even for a pre-arranged hunt. But of course; that's the direction the USA is headed in if a lot of people in this country get their way.

There is no way I would hunt western europe for anything.

Scot's and England have lost all vestiges of manhood, not that there was a whole lot to begin with .

Are you phugging kidding me

IC B2

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
There is no way I would hunt western europe for anything.

Scot's and England have lost all vestiges of manhood, not that there was a whole lot to begin with.

I recall it was a bit thin on the ground at your end between September 1939 and January 1942.

Now if you're talking about our politicians at the moment, with a few exceptions such as Jacob Rees-Mogg and Nigel Farage, I'd find it difficult to disagree with you. Brexit means Brexit.

Tim

Last edited by Tim1; 03/16/19.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by Adamjp
Not sure if this will work, but a damn fine video. It will just make your itch worse.

https://vimeo.com/288713380

Thanks for sharing this video-gave me the bug to hunt there too- loved the scenery

Last edited by desertshooter; 03/16/19.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have chased stags in Scotland twice and really enjoyed it. I paid around $500 day and no trophy fee. Awesome views and a lot of fun. Roe deer are available in season. I also killed a feral goat on my last trip. I booked with Kiri at Athina Sporting.

Who is John Galt?
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (1936M71, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 10ring1, 49 invisible), 2,285 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,552
Posts18,453,601
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.