Page 9 of 13 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Originally Posted by warpig602
Vortex, like Leupold, offers an extremely broad product line.

The Vortex Razor line is made in Japan and has a stellar record in both combat and competition.

The made in USA Vortex AMG is another outstanding product.

The original PST line seemed to have some issues.

Who exactly is using Vortex in combat? I believe the correct answer is......nobody. Certainly not any US troops. Being made in Japan would preclude them from that.

LOL.

Guess again? laugh

[Linked Image]

The Vortex 1-6 Razor is extremely popular with Tier 1 US SMUs (Special Mission Units) and other SOF units that can purchase.

Originally Posted by horse1

Vortex has a factory and makes scopes in WI. cool

What do they actually do in the WI facility? Do they make any parts there or is it an assembly and final QC facility? What percentage of their sales units a produced in that WI facility?

Pretty much the same as Leupold.

Glass from Japan and everything else is manufactured in house.

Ter 1 guys I have meet ain’t crazy about guys posting pics of them on the web. Just my experience.
PS if Vortex high end was like Leupold their logo would be a giant pussy with moist purple lips. And I would own a sticker at most.

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
To answer the OP question- they fail a lot and their lens quality is lacking. Perhaps it is the assembly process, but the ones I looked thru had a "cloud" around the lens when set at 6 to 7 power and up. When sent back they claimed, as another poster here mentioned, that the rings were torqued too tight, however, this was BS as they were professionally torqued to 25" pounds max. Scope they sent to replace it had the same "cloud" in it and according was sold. Eye relief was too critical or difficult to obtain at any power on them as well. They do have a great marketing plan (Replacement Warranty) and it is almost up there with "everybody needs a college education" that is pushed on us by our state universities/education system.

As to the poster that said "I’ve noticed that it’s very difficult to assess glass quality and user-friendliness/eyebox of a scope without having it mounted on a rifle. I’m not sure you gave those scopes a fair shake." Are you kidding me? If you cannot access these attributes with out mounting the scope you should just stay silent. Glass quality, field of view, eye relief, windage and elevation adjustment feel, and power ring adjustment tension can all be checked without mounting the scope.

If the lens quality is not good stay away from it and that is just one of the reasons to avoid Vortex. Also, that warranty does you no good if it fails in the field (I did see a nice pair of Vortex Binoculars that thad the eye pieces busted off- bet he wished he had purchased anything but that Vortex!) or if the lenses are crappy to start with.

Last edited by Marley7x57; 03/16/19.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
That little PeeWee is a great call.... I never go anywhere without one.

I'm betting you've been nearly trampled by a mule deer or two when blowing on that thing.......just a guess...............

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

The Vortex Razor line is made in Japan and has a stellar record in both combat and competition.

Who exactly is using Vortex in combat? I believe the correct answer is......nobody. Certainly not any US troops. Being made in Japan would preclude them from that.

LOL.

Guess again? laugh

[Linked Image]

The Vortex 1-6 Razor is extremely popular with Tier 1 US SMUs (Special Mission Units) and other SOF units that can purchase.

Originally Posted by horse1

What do they actually do in the WI facility? Do they make any parts there or is it an assembly and final QC facility? What percentage of their sales units a produced in that WI facility?

Pretty much the same as Leupold.

Glass from Japan and everything else is manufactured in house.

Most of their stuff is made in China nowadays.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

LOL.

Guess again? laugh

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by fredIII

Tier 1 guys I have meet ain’t crazy about guys posting pics of them on the web. Just my experience.
PS if Vortex high end was like Leupold their logo would be a giant pussy with moist purple lips. And I would own a sticker at most.

If you're referring to the picture I posted it is a stock photo from a news story about US SOF in Syria and already all over the web.

A 5 second Google search will find it.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JGRaider

Please cite.

Thanks.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Marley7x57
As to the poster that said "I’ve noticed that it’s very difficult to assess glass quality and user-friendliness/eyebox of a scope without having it mounted on a rifle. I’m not sure you gave those scopes a fair shake." Are you kidding me? If you cannot access these attributes with out mounting the scope you should just stay silent. Glass quality, field of view, eye relief, windage and elevation adjustment feel, and power ring adjustment tension can all be checked without mounting the scope.

So much fail. You absolutely cannot accurately assess the glass quality, FOV, or ER of the scope without having it rigidly mounted in some sort of fixture, whether a rifle or otherwise.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by CWT

Isn't Nightforce made in Japan?

Not the optics issued to the military.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by 338rcm

[/quote

Vortex makes or assembles scopes on WI?

Not sure but we poured an awful lot of concrete for them...it's a sizable facility.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Because it ain’t a LEUPOLD !

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
That little PeeWee is a great call.... I never go anywhere without one.

I'm betting you've been nearly trampled by a mule deer or two when blowing on that thing.......just a guess...............

Yep.... those old mama does can get pretty aggressive toward a predator call on occasion.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Please cite.

Thanks.

Read what's printed on the box. Every bino now made there, including the Razor. They suck.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

So much fail. You absolutely cannot accurately assess the glass quality, FOV, or ER of the scope without having it rigidly mounted in some sort of fixture, whether a rifle or otherwise.

How do you hold your binos??

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Probably to his ass.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I certainly don't pretend to accurately compare or assess binos while holding them free-hand. A tripod makes a huge difference.

A precursory impression while holding the scope in your hands is one thing, but to get serious about assessing it, you need to have it rigidly supported somehow. I'm surprised you guys are even contesting this. Anybody with even a smidge of experience looking through scopes in a sporting goods store, held in your hands, compared to looking through those scopes at the range with the scope mounted on a rifle, will know exactly what I'm talking about.

Ask MD or Ilya if they do their bino/scope assessments, brightness tests, resolution tests, EB testing, etc, while holding a scope in their hands or resting it on the back of the couch, or if they mount it in some sort of fixture.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Probably to his ass.

You're going to fit in here really well while spewing that kind of verbal diarrhea. I'm guessing you're under 16 years old? Shouldn't you get back to your homework?

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by CowboyTim

Vortex makes or assembles scopes on WI?[/quote

Not sure but we poured an awful lot of concrete for them...it's a sizable facility.

Warehouse

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W

I certainly don't pretend to accurately compare or assess binos while holding them free-hand. A tripod makes a huge difference.

A precursory impression while holding the scope in your hands is one thing, but to get serious about assessing it, you need to have it rigidly supported somehow. I'm surprised you guys are even contesting this. Anybody with even a smidge of experience looking through scopes in a sporting goods store, held in your hands, compared to looking through those scopes at the range with the scope mounted on a rifle, will know exactly what I'm talking about.

Ask MD or Ilya if they do their bino/scope assessments, brightness tests, resolution tests, EB testing, etc, while holding a scope in their hands or resting it on the back of the couch, or if they mount it in some sort of fixture.

Ive done it, its not ideal but its possible. While you may not be able to do anything scientific, you can certainly see differences. In fact, hand holding an optic gives me a pretty good idea on if one scope or another has a more forgiving eye box. Brightness and clarity differences can also be evaluated. Agian, not ideal but certainly possible. If I can mount it iIwll but Im typically looking through 3 or 4 at a time and dont really want to take scopes off my ther rifles, or mount the scope im looking at in rings.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Would you agree there are initial test you can do without mounting? Thats all I'm saying

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Hey, You had a compliment from me. I figured you had a bit of a brain but with you head being up your ass that where the binocs would need to be held. Appears I made a mistake, but not in regards to where the binocs should be held.

Grab a Schmidt and Bender scope and look thru it and then look thru your Vortex scope and you will see that your Vortex is an inferior scope. Pretty easy test of optic quality and clarity...... You can take your time and mount if you want but the rest of will not need to do so.

Probably to his ass.

You're going to fit in here really well while spewing that kind of verbal diarrhea. I'm guessing you're under 16 years old? Shouldn't you get back to your homework?

Page 9 of 13 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

697 members (007FJ, 163dm, 160user, 163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 64 invisible), 3,144 guests, and 1,350 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,579
Posts18,454,096
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.