Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
You can't get the 38 gallon gas tank without the SR5 package , did that sink in yet? Note there is a SR5 truck but they also sell the SR5 package. That's what I referred to.

Oldelkhunter,

You need to buy an SR5, and then add the SR5 UPGRADE, to get the 38 gallon tank. The UPGRADE deletes the front bench seat, and replaces it with bucket seats.

The easiest way to explain it to people, is to simply state that the bench seat gets 26 gallons. And the bucket seats gets 38 gallons. I doubt most people have any clue what the UPGRADE is.

If you prefer, state that the SR5 UPGRADE is needed. But what does that mean to anyone, especially when you don't even reference it correctly? You just make vague references, as shown in your post below.

Not going to get a 38 gallon fuel tank unless you have a SR5

I'm more interested in providing simple and accurate information for anyone that reads this in the future. I'm not sure what your motivation.

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I don't own a toyota. But the 22 gallon tank in my 1999 chevy 3/4 ton with 6.0 leaves A LOT to be desired.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by 4th_point
You can't get the 38 gallon gas tank without the SR5 package , did that sink in yet? Note there is a SR5 truck but they also sell the SR5 package. That's what I referred to.

Oldelkhunter,

You need to buy an SR5, and then add the SR5 UPGRADE, to get the 38 gallon tank. The UPGRADE deletes the front bench seat, and replaces it with bucket seats.

The easiest way to explain it to people, is to simply state that the bench seat gets 26 gallons. And the bucket seats gets 38 gallons. I doubt most people have any clue what the UPGRADE is.

If you prefer, state that the SR5 UPGRADE is needed. But what does that mean to anyone, especially when you don't even reference it correctly? You just make vague references, as shown in your post below.

I'm more interested in providing simple and accurate information for anyone that reads this in the future. I'm not sure what your motivation.

Where in your posts did you reference SR5 upgrade? Until I posted the pretty pictures you had no clue. Try to find a Tundra without the Sr5 package at the dealership that is not a work truck . Motivation Really, oh your from Oregon I see , no wonder GFY.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Maybe I'm missing something here, but what's so bad about having a 26,5 gallon tank on a Tundra? I'm on my 5th Tundra, and have loved them all, but by the time I run 26 gallons of gas out of my truck I'm ready to get out and stretch my legs. And fill up too. 38 gallons is a lot of weight to drive down the road too. Unnecessary for me. My 2 cents worth. Just sayin!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Motivation Really, oh your from Oregon I see , no wonder GFY.

Thanks for reinforcing my point.

Jason

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by hunter01
Maybe I'm missing something here, but what's so bad about having a 26,5 gallon tank on a Tundra? I'm on my 5th Tundra, and have loved them all, but by the time I run 26 gallons of gas out of my truck I'm ready to get out and stretch my legs. And fill up too. 38 gallons is a lot of weight to drive down the road too. Unnecessary for me. My 2 cents worth. Just sayin!

What truck do you drive?

Hunt Africa while you can
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

Oldelkhunter,

Where in your posts did you reference SR5 upgrade? Until I posted the pretty pictures you had no clue. Try to find a Tundra without the Sr5 package at the dealership that is not a work truck . Motivation Really, oh your from Oregon I see , no wonder GFY.

He's right, you're wrong. There are plenty of SR5 trucks out there with 26 gallon fuel tanks, if you look inside them they'll also have bench front seats and a column mounted shifter. If you add the SR5 UPGRADE PACKAGE to your SR5 then the bench seats get replaced with bucket seats, the column mounted shifter gets replaced with a floor mounted shifter, the 26 gallon tank gets replaced with a 38 gallon tank, plus a couple of other small things like better steering wheel and auto dimming mirror.

To get the big tank you must at the very least have an SR5 with the SR5 UPGRADE PACKAGE, not the SR5 without the SR5 UPGRADE PACKAGE.

Yes, it's confusing but you're making it more confusing than it needs to be.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Crow hunter

Oldelkhunter,

He's right, you're wrong. There are plenty of SR5 trucks out there with 26 gallon fuel tanks, if you look inside them they'll also have bench front seats and a column mounted shifter. If you add the SR5 UPGRADE PACKAGE to your SR5 then the bench seats get replaced with bucket seats, the column mounted shifter gets replaced with a floor mounted shifter, the 26 gallon tank gets replaced with a 38 gallon tank, plus a couple of other small things like better steering wheel and auto dimming mirror.

To get the big tank you must at the very least have an SR5 with the SR5 UPGRADE PACKAGE, not the SR5 without the SR5 UPGRADE PACKAGE.

Yes, it's confusing but you're making it more confusing than it needs to be.

The SR5 is Tundra Model

On my first post in this thread I clearly said the Sr5 package not Sr5 model .

SR5 package has the 38 gallon tank

It was called either the SR5 value or upgrade package when I bought my 2017. He didn't bother to read my first post. I even posted pictures for him to look at describing it in detail. He just wants to argue.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Transferflow makes a larger aftermarket replacement tank or you can get a toolbox/tank combo with a transfer pump.

“Lighten up Francis”
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I have a 2017 SR5 with TRD package. 5.7L. It has buckets, center console shift and a 26.4 gallon tank.

There are no guarantees. Look at the build sheet and be sure...
or crawl under. The 26.4 gallon has two support straps, the 38 gallon has three.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

You must not tow much. I towed an 8000 lb boat 1000 miles averaging 5 mpg and on my Tundra the low fuel light would come on when I had used 19 gallons of the 26 gallon tank, filling up every 100 miles sucked balls! It was a much needed improvement in the Tundra to put that bigger tank in it, as thirsty as they are when towing the 26 gal tank was a stupid idea.

Drafting and trying to maintain 6-7 mpg when I could!

[Linked Image]

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by WTM45
I have a 2017 SR5 with TRD package. 5.7L. It has buckets, center console shift and a 26.4 gallon tank.

There are no guarantees. Look at the build sheet and be sure...
or crawl under. The 26.4 gallon has two support straps, the 38 gallon has three.

When I bought my 2017 the local dealer didn't even know they had a 38 gallon gas tank available

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

“Lighten up Francis”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
2015 SR5

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had a first generation Tundra with 4.7 V8 and the small tank. I really loved that truck, but if I had to point to any bad feature it would be the gas tank size.
Mine got around 16mpg, so a tank would not last a week. I got a 4runner now, and it gets 21. That is a big difference, and I can get over 400 to a tank.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Terryk
I had a first generation Tundra with 4.7 V8 and the small tank. I really loved that truck, but if I had to point to any bad feature it would be the gas tank size.
Mine got around 16mpg, so a tank would not last a week. I got a 4runner now, and it gets 21. That is a big difference, and I can get over 400 to a tank.

You must drive slow.

When I had the same Tundra I would get 18 on the highway. With the 4 Runner, 18 combined. Tundra 26 gallon tank. 4 Runner 23. What,1 less gas station stop a month? If one tops it off every time. Most don’t.

Addition: I can get 20 out of the Runner. If I keep it 60 and under on the TPK. Which means I’m not keeping up with traffic. 2016 and 65,000. The extra 2mpg isn’t worth the time lag over 65,000 miles.

Last edited by battue; 03/16/19.

laissez les bons temps rouler
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

And for most, it would be hard not to go by 15 gas stations a day.

laissez les bons temps rouler
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Once you drive one with a bigger tank you'll never go back. I was in the market for a used truck (2012-2014 models) about 3 years ago and was leaning toward Tundra. But they didn't offer the bigger tank until 2014 and I couldn't find a Tundra that I liked, at a price I'd pay with that option. I ended up with a Ford instead. Even without towing the advantages are huge. Probably the best thing is that I can buy gas where I WANT to buy gas, not where I NEED to buy gas. It isn't unusual for gas to be priced 30 cents/gal cheaper 50-100 miles down the road. I can just keep driving through those areas where it is priced high.

The extra 10 gallons of gas is about 60 lbs. Not a big deal on a truck with a payload around 1800 lbs.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
B
byd Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
2016 5.7 litre 38 gallon tank

S
S
I have a 2010 Tundra with the 38 gallon and love it, that is until it’s time to fill it up at Costco and I have 3 cars behind me mean mugging me..lol

Last edited by Swampr42; 04/27/19.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 16penny, 10ring1, 12344mag, 56 invisible), 2,398 guests, and 1,176 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,243
Posts18,466,884
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.