Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ATC
Keefer's in Pine Grove Pa. A small place tucked in the woods. The used gun rack is about 5 times the size of the new rack and you can actually handle them. Stuff scattered everywhere. If you need something just ask, they have it somewhere. Lots of old catalogs too, most 4 or 5 years old. They are only open in the evening and most nights there are few guys just there for the conversation.

I really miss these kinds of shops.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Logans Gun Gallery in north washington PA is like that. several years ago i got a line on a limited edition rem 7600 35 whelen carbine that they had. never saw one before and i called them to make sure it was what they said. i gave them my CC on the phone and drove up there after work in a driving snowstorm. come to find out it was made for export to europe. fancy wood, beautiful bluing and is almost too nice to hunt with but i do anyway. little hole in the wall place and when i walked in it was lined with guns floor to ceiling. they had the best selection of remington pumps i had ever seen outside of my house and it was all i could do not to max out my CC. prices were excellent. i got the whelen for $550 and they had a 35 rem carbine for the same. if i wouldn't have already had one i'd have bought it too. should have cause i could have doubled or tripled my money. they had a bunch of the fancy birdseye maple 7600s in a lot of calibers for about 700 bucks. they also had a bunch of nice vintage smiths and colts as well as shotguns. great shop and if it wasn't so far away i'd be a regular customer.

My diploma is a DD214
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I miss some of those old time gun shops too. However, if I owned a gun shop, I would carry all the tacticool stuff. If you want to stay in business, you need to carry what the market wants rather than what you like.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Randy Shuman's in Newville, PA, he specialized in Winchester M/70's and had most every M/70 that Winchester ever made along with a large selection of other Winchesters. One time he took me in the gun vault in the back room to show me the really special one of a kind Winchesters. Also like to visit Tom Norman's Sport Shop in Wykoff, NJ run by gunsmith Jack Korzinek, sadly both these places are gone. Jack did a really neat conversion on Ruger #1's & #3's converting them to .22 RF and .22 Magnum, he also had a process to blue stainless steel. He was a top notch gunsmith and was highly regarded for his work on .22 match shooter's rifles. And motorcycle guys would've loved The Sport Spot in Wayne, NJ which was a combination Harley dealer and gun shop, I remember walking thru the motorcycle showroom in the front to get to the gun shop. Growing up in Paterson, NJ in the early 1960's the place to go was the Paterson Rod & Gun Store on lower Main St., it was a real old time gun shop they always had puppies in the lower part of the glass store front. IT was run by JImmy Salvato who wrote a column "In the Great Outdoors" for the local paper. Later on the store moved to Hawthorne, NJ and his sons took over the business as Jim aged and eventually retired, just wasn't the same as the old store. The Ramsey Outdoor Store was another neat place, I bought a pre'64 Winchester 94 .30-30 that was unfired for $140.00, bought boxes and boxes of Winchester .308 Power Points for $5.00 a box. Ray's in Plainfield, NJ always had one of the best selections of used guns in rows and rows of long glass cases.

Last edited by gunswizard; 03/17/19.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Ranger_Green
Ha! I walked into a friend's new tacticool gunshop, the last one in San Francisco. Tacticool was the market there. My buddy Steve had hired this very nice Chinese girl to balance out the staff and do the books. Though good at at tacticool, I almost laughed when one day I walked in and the young staff looked at me for immediate help with a customer's question.

The pretty bookkeeper looked at me and said, "What is a 270?"

You’d think .270 would be the official caliber of the City of San Francisco.

Mathew 22: 37-39

IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
In Northern New York two that come to mind are Hilltop Hunting and Fishing in Morley and Dick’s Country Store(Gun City; Music Oasis) in Charabusco. Haven’t been there in a while.

Mathew 22: 37-39

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Keystone Armory in Edinboro, Pa. Great store, great people. Been to Juniata Trading Post in Everett, too. Good place!

Last edited by benchman; 03/17/19.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by hanco
Collectors Firearms in Houston has more guns than you would believe.

I know das rite

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Favorites from the past were Atlantic Guns in Silver Spring, MD and Sell's in Hanover, PA.

Currently, Valley Guns II in Inwood, WV is a great store with underground ranges on site, and a new facility for training at a another location. They also take Gunbroker consignments at a reasonable rate, which saves me all the heartache and shipping nonsense.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by FatCity67
Originally Posted by Ranger_Green
Ha! I walked into a friend's new tacticool gunshop, the last one in San Francisco. Tacticool was the market there. My buddy Steve had hired this very nice Chinese girl to balance out the staff and do the books. Though good at at tacticool, I almost laughed when one day I walked in and the young staff looked at me for immediate help with a customer's question.

The pretty bookkeeper looked at me and said, "What is a 270?"

My Dad and Stockton PD Officer Uncle did quit a bit of trade through Bob Chow's shop back in the 1970's. Unbeknownst to My Dad or I my uncle sold off all his Bob Chow customs in the late 80's. Didnt think anything of it back then. Damn Shame now.

This was Bob Chow's old shop. His son owned the building and was tired of City politics. My buddy Steve rented it from him. I got to meet Bob Chow at a shooting event to honor him shortly before he died.

I did get to buy a Model 28 that Bob Chow had worked on.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Best I ever seen was Ledford's Trading Post in Hickory NC. It seemed like you could get ammo for literally anything there. A lot of it was really old stuff too. I especially miss them since I couldn't find .38-40 anywhere around here yesterday.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The last local, old time gun shop, was Greentops. It's now a a Walmart style gun shop like Cabala's and Bass Pro. I miss the smell of solvents, old wood floors, old leather and occasionally Hoppes #9. If I were blindfolded and taken there I would not know what sort of store I was in. I can get the same atmosphere here in my home office and order on line.

Last edited by arkypete; 03/17/19.

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by gunswizard
Randy Shuman's in Newville, PA, he specialized in Winchester M/70's and had most every M/70 that Winchester ever made along with a large selection of other Winchesters. One time he took me in the gun vault in the back room to show me the really special one of a kind Winchesters. Also like to visit Tom Norman's Sport Shop in Wykoff, NJ run by gunsmith Jack Korzinek, sadly both these places are gone. Jack did a really neat conversion on Ruger #1's & #3's converting them to .22 RF and .22 Magnum, he also had a process to blue stainless steel. He was a top notch gunsmith and was highly regarded for his work on .22 match shooter's rifles. And motorcycle guys would've loved The Sport Spot in Wayne, NJ which was a combination Harley dealer and gun shop, I remember walking thru the motorcycle showroom in the front to get to the gun shop.

Randy Shuman still deals in collectible guns but is not affiliated with his old shop, "Shuman's Gun Shop". The shop is still a quality operation but not quite as high end as when Randy owned it. When Randy had it, pre 64 Win 70's were about the lowest end guns in there, and it went up from there. I think Winchester made less than 10 375 H&H with the standard barrel (as on a 30-06). Randy Shuman had 6 of them!

John's Sporting Goods in Germania (Galeton address) PA has a large selection of used blue and walnut guns.

Perry's Sport Shop in Austin, PA

Coopers Sporting Goods in Mansfield, PA is another good one.

Miller's Gun Shop in Mill Hall or near there is another.

Elk Ammo and Arms in St Marys, PA has a good inventory of new and used.

I have friends who sometimes spend the day cruising the locals shops in central Pennsylvania, north to south!

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by benchman
Keystone Armory in Edinboro, Pa. Great store, great people. Been to Juniata Trading Post in Everett, too. Good place!

edinboro outdoors in edinboro itself is not bad as well. looks like they moved a block since i was there.

my camp is around the corner from JTP. i hit it every couple weeks and have bought several guns from them. excellent selection of new guns and so-so used guns. right after deer season and before christmas is the time to hit it for the used guns. the one in everett itself has a nice selection these days as well. bought my 77/22 there in 1990 for $239. my old man gave me guff about spending so much on a squirrel gun. but when i came home day after day with a limit of headshot squirrels he changed his tune.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
kittery trading post, kittery maine, its not just a gun shop, has everything outdoors, but i was impressed with it. hell could even buy fresh cooked maine lobster.

https://www.kitterytradingpost.com/new-used-guns/

[Linked Image]

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
here in corpus, texas gun shop.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
nobody mentioned grices in clearfield so i will. huge selection of new and used guns and just about anything you need for loading, etc. some of the counter guys are dicks though who make you feel like they're doing you a favor for selling you a gun. probably because they deal with a lot of out of town dicks so i don't blame them too much.

My diploma is a DD214
K
K22 Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
K
Dukes Sport Shop in Newberry Mi. The first place I would head to when I was up there. Loved that place.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In Eastern PA Boyer's Hardware in Slatington. It's a old wood floored hardware store and gun shop. Gun shop is up on the mezzanine. If they don't have it, they can get it. And used guns are a reason to stop by every week. They have a stuffed giraffe on the main floor. Only one in the neighborhood. Family run, owner usually there every day and he is a hunter.

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed-unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
CB Guns in Owasso, Oklahoma. While not a large shop, they always seem to have a nice selection of revolvers, rifle and shotguns for the hunter and collector. They also try to keep old military rifles on hand. Interesting blend of firearms.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

628 members (160user, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1Akshooter, 65 invisible), 2,594 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,256
Posts18,467,034
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.