Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by rem141r
Originally Posted by benchman
Keystone Armory in Edinboro, Pa. Great store, great people. Been to Juniata Trading Post in Everett, too. Good place!

edinboro outdoors in edinboro itself is not bad as well. looks like they moved a block since i was there.

my camp is around the corner from JTP. i hit it every couple weeks and have bought several guns from them. excellent selection of new guns and so-so used guns. right after deer season and before christmas is the time to hit it for the used guns. the one in everett itself has a nice selection these days as well. bought my 77/22 there in 1990 for $239. my old man gave me guff about spending so much on a squirrel gun. but when i came home day after day with a limit of headshot squirrels he changed his tune.

Edinboro Outdoors are real good folks too. Not a lot of used guns though. I should also mention Gorenflos in Erie. Old time atmosphere, for sure.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 7mmbuster
Buchanan Firearms in McConnellsburg, Juniata Trading near Everette. I get to Altoona/Martinsburg area I hit Long's Outpost or Outdoor City.
7mm

Thanks, but that jacks me.
Didn't know about them.
Still miss Bob and Mickeys in Mercersburg.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hendershots in Handcock Md.
Lots of higher end stuff. Old fashioned creeky wood floor kind of place.

This is for the 'fire, because I hate to endorse the owners.
Cove Creek in Bedford. Merkels to Savages.
If you look rich enough, they may treat you well,
If you don't, they will eventually get around to helping you, if you ask.

No chit, if I stop by after work, they only glance at me.
Out of towner walks down the steps, "Hi, anything i can help you with....ok...look around
holler if I can help you".

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
The Gun Shop on hwy 8 north of Lexington, NC
Very knowledgeable staff.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by JGray
Capital Sports and Western here in Helena and Shedhorn Sports down the the road in Ennis...

Originally Posted by FieldGrade

Been to both of those several times.

http://www.lolosportinggoods.com/

Back in the 70's that was the go to store to buy guns. I bought several guns there and since you could not buy out of state at that time when you purchased a gun there they would take it and meet you in Clarkston Wa. across the river at the Ace Hardware store and they would do the paperwork. I use to go up there and spend the day standing around and listening to the oldtimers talk. They had barrels of bullets on the floor and you would scoop them out into paperbags and buy them by the pound. Every now and then there would be this one guy in there visiting and people would stand around and talk to him and listen to what he had to say.Pretty nice guy. Later learned that the gentleman was Jack O'conner. At the time I did not who he was.

In La Grande Or. there is a gun shop called Trails End, Les has a good selection of hunting equipment in there and a good selection of hunting rifles and handguns. There are usually some old timers in there relaxing and drinking coffee.

Walla Walla had an outdoor store that closed in the late 80s called Drumhellers. They had hunting, fishing, camping, and what ever else you needed to be in the outdoors there. And everybody that worked there knew their stuff. It was a marvelous place to spend the day.

Last edited by BluMtn; 03/17/19.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
IC B2

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
When I was managing a project at our Anacortes refinery I always enjoyed dropping by the now closed Kesselrings shop.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Ranger_Green
Ha! I walked into a friend's new tacticool gunshop, the last one in San Francisco. Tacticool was the market there. My buddy Steve had hired this very nice Chinese girl to balance out the staff and do the books. Though good at at tacticool, I almost laughed when one day I walked in and the young staff looked at me for immediate help with a customer's question.

The pretty bookkeeper looked at me and said, "What is a 270?"

From campfire lore... one would think that if any community was familiar with the .270, it would be San Francisco.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rem141r
nobody mentioned grices in clearfield so i will. huge selection of new and used guns and just about anything you need for loading, etc. some of the counter guys are dicks though who make you feel like they're doing you a favor for selling you a gun. probably because they deal with a lot of out of town dicks so i don't blame them too much.

I agree Grices is still a pretty good shop !!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 700LH
Originally Posted by drover
Shapels in Boise, I sure miss them, nothing in this area since has come close.

Shapels for sure was quite the place. Another one that has been gone for many years was Moon's when it was downtown - I can't recall the exact location. W. Idaho St maybe, too many years ago.

drover

Yes it was Idaho St.
They moved the inventory to a location on State St. lots of it never left the boxes I don't think, then one day it was just gone.
No idea what happened.

I read once that Shapel did some work with Elmer Keith.
I just know he passed and his son that was running it got cancer.
Sad, I was there during some of the sales just before closing.
I still have one of their catalogs I kept for no reason other than to have it

I found out about the big sale the day after. That was a great shop. I lived a couple blocks from there when I first moved to town.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Trail Creek Trade Company in St.Louis still has that old school shop feel.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I used to like to swing by Les Bauska's shop in Kalispell.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
The folks that own this shop also own another not far away. They are closing this shop the end of the month. %10 off arms till then.

A few year ago, I passed on to them what is a signature line for one of the members here.

"When I die, my greatest fear is my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them." The had that quote on a sign for a long time. laugh[Linked Image]

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
F
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
F
Originally Posted by FatCity67
Ha! I walked into a friend's new tacticool gunshop, the last one in San Francisco. Tacticool was the market there. My buddy Steve had hired this very nice Chinese girl to balance out the staff and do the books. Though good at at tacticool, I almost laughed when one day I walked in and the young staff looked at me for immediate help with a customer's question.

The pretty bookkeeper looked at me and said, "What is a 270?"

My Dad and Stockton PD Officer Uncle did quit a bit of trade through Bob Chow's shop back in the 1970's. Unbeknownst to My Dad or I my uncle sold off all his Bob Chow customs in the late 80's. Didnt think anything of it back then. Damn Shame now.

This was Bob Chow's old shop. His son owned the building and was tired of City politics. My buddy Steve rented it from him. I got to meet Bob Chow at a shooting event to honor him shortly before he died.

I did get to buy a Model 28 that Bob Chow had worked on.

Yup , that's why I chimed in. I remember going there as a kid on several occasions in the 70's when we would take trips to a much nicer SF.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
J
JDK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
I didn't read all of the replies but a few come to mind here in Maine:

Kittery Trading Post
Newport Trading Post
Old Town Trading Post

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by drover
Shapels in Boise, I sure miss them, nothing in this area since has come close.

Shapels for sure was quite the place. Another one that has been gone for many years was Moon's when it was downtown - I can't recall the exact location. W. Idaho St maybe, too many years ago.

drover

Yes it was Idaho St.
They moved the inventory to a location on State St. lots of it never left the boxes I don't think, then one day it was just gone.
No idea what happened.

I read once that Shapel did some work with Elmer Keith.
I just know he passed and his son that was running it got cancer.
Sad, I was there during some of the sales just before closing.
I still have one of their catalogs I kept for no reason other than to have it

Since you are familiar with the Idaho st Moon's help me out please - I remember Moon's having a diner counter in the front of the shop, am I remembering correctly?
Around 1964 I bought my first mod 70 Winchester from Moon's, it was marked down so low that I couldn't resist. The reason for it being marked down so much was because Winchester had announced that they were bring out a "new and improved" model 70. Moon was sure that no one would want the old ones so he had it marked down - we all know how that worked out.
I do recall seeing the Moon's on State st but I never stopped in there.

When I used to go to Shapel's in the 60s-70s it was just off Fairview and was located behind his house if I recall correctly. I was in Boise in the late 90's and went to Shapel's, it was in the same general area but it was in a newer larger building then the old shop. Was that when his son was running it or was someone else running it under the Shapel name?
I do recall going to a couple of gunshows and seeing someone selling a lot of his parts inventory, stored in large green military surplus looking parts cabinets, the same cabinets I remember seeing behind the counter in the old shop.

I can't remember the name of the sporting goods/gun shop that was on Main, between 8th and 9th I believe, it was an interesting place also, saw my first Swedish 6.5x55 Mauser there and also a Snyder hinged breech which was a pretty clever redesign. Any ideas on that one.

Jack First Gun Shop -in the early 60's I was in Lancaster, CA on a TDY and stopped in at his shop - wow! I had never seen anything like it at that time. Then in the mid 80's I was in Rapid City, SD and they had moved there. They had rows and rows of guns, a great many of them were very desirable collectibles but they were setting out so they could be handled. I saw one of the most desirable pre-64 mod 70s there - a model 70 factory gun chambered in 7x57.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Carter's Gun Shop in Shabonna,IL. Wood beamed ceilings, ancient oak flooring. All the wonderful smells as mentioned in other posts.

This used to be the shop to go to if one wanted to check out an assortment of 99s and in the process see a Remington 141 and a number of Model 12s. It is further out in the countryside and I assume he got most of the firearms from older farmers, estate sales, etc.

Was in there last autumn and the selection had dwindled considerably and the counter man no longer there. The owner appears to keep busy gun smithing, however it was sad to see.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubt" Bertrand Russell

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dattilio's Discount Guns and Tackle located in South Burlington, Vt right off the interstate. His dad ran a gas station for many years and he and his son Jimmy converted it to a gun and tackle shop. They still pump gas but all the bays are now taken up by boxes of hunting and fishing equipment along with guns in the inner sanctum. He deals in volume and often sells boxes of equipment before they even make the shelf. He probably sells more guns than all the other bigger shops in the area combined. Lots of LEO's and military buy their personal guns there.

living the good life every day
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
If someone is in the West, look up Ron Peterson's in Albuquerque. He's on Central.

ALWAYS an interesting stop at Ron Peterson's..

Way Back we used to hit El Rancho on North 4th.
Canyon Gun Shop in Tijeras Canyon
And Sandia Cartridge in the canyon

Do you remember H. Cook on Central?

Last edited by william_iorg; 03/17/19.

Slim
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Since you are familiar with the Idaho st Moon's help me out please - I remember Moon's having a diner counter in the front of the shop, am I remembering correctly?

Yes, long counter with stools IIRC.

When I used to go to Shapel's in the 60s-70s it was just off Fairview and was located behind his house if I recall correctly. I was in Boise in the late 90's and went to Shapel's, it was in the same general area but it was in a newer larger building then the old shop. Was that when his son was running it or was someone else running it under the Shapel name?

A block north of Fairview on Liberty,, It was still Shapels, IIRC son's name was Mark.

Not sure about sporting goods downtown on Main, but there was a couple of pawn shops there. I bought a nice Winchester 94 made the year I was born from one of them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EdM
When I was managing a project at our Anacortes refinery I always enjoyed dropping by the now closed Kesselrings shop.

Spent a lot of money in there when I lived in Anacortes. They had a great used selection especially after the seasons were over. The other odd ball shop was on Whidbey was Monkey Hill Gun shop. They were the official mfg of Hawkin rifles when I was there and the folks were friendly.

Grice's is very nice. So much so that Roof and I rented a plane and flew up to Clearfield once. It's over a 3 1/2 drive for us or an hour flight. The airport manager gave his truck to run down to the shop .

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

623 members (10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 007FJ, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 16penny, 57 invisible), 2,366 guests, and 1,158 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,253
Posts18,466,977
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.