24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm getting over 2,900fps with the 70 RDF and H4895.
It may become my 600 yard bullet this year.

Politics is War by Other Means
ARIC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S
70gr rdf has a BC of .410 and from what I read people are pretty happy with is and getting over 2800.. This Friday I'm going to the range to chrono my leverevolution load with 75gr Hornady and 77gr Sierras. Will let you all know what I get. I been tempted to buy some of those 77gr RDF bullets.

John,

Please keep me in the loop on Lever and 75 BTHP. I still havent's cracked the code.

I'm trying TAC and the 75 BTHP to replace my Varget load, just because Varget is sooooooooooooooo difficult to meter in a Dillon 550.

Was up your way Monday and Tuesday, but it was a turn and burn, or I would have contacted you. Literally, land at 8 PM, fly out at 3 PM.

NICE weather for April!

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
TAC and H4895 was what I used in 77gr CC. I hit 2750fps out of an M4 with .25MOA accuracy. TAC flows amazing but H4895 gave me better ES/SD. I will say I cannalured those bullets and used a Lee Factory crimp.

Last edited by GoForBroke; 04/18/19.
79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Originally Posted by 79S
70gr rdf has a BC of .410 and from what I read people are pretty happy with is and getting over 2800.. This Friday I'm going to the range to chrono my leverevolution load with 75gr Hornady and 77gr Sierras. Will let you all know what I get. I been tempted to buy some of those 77gr RDF bullets.

John,

Please keep me in the loop on Lever and 75 BTHP. I still havent's cracked the code.

I'm trying TAC and the 75 BTHP to replace my Varget load, just because Varget is sooooooooooooooo difficult to meter in a Dillon 550.

Was up your way Monday and Tuesday, but it was a turn and burn, or I would have contacted you. Literally, land at 8 PM, fly out at 3 PM.

NICE weather for April!

I went with a 223 Wylde upper now. I gave up on lever in my other upper I was getting groups like you were. So I bought another upper from psa 223 Wylde loaded up some ammo varget, 4064 then thought what heck try lever again. That lever shot very well actually had groups. Varget was another good one as well.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Originally Posted by 79S

John,

NICE weather for April!

David, have you shot your pet varget load say 3/10 over and under? IE Varget pretty easy to get along with, and if it crunches in the 550 and is a few tenths off its really never seemed to matter much unless I wanted to shoot BR match or such.

I did shoot enough of TAC to realize it offered a lot of possibilities too. And obviously meters better.

there was a guy at one time that revamped my powder bars on the Dillon and came back with a micrometer setting on it too which helped a bit with target and RL15. FWIW. not sure if thats still around.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Lots of positive comments here, I'm impressed. And no Tyrion either.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by GoForBroke
TAC and H4895 was what I used in 77gr CC. I hit 2750fps out of an M4 with .25MOA accuracy. TAC flows amazing but H4895 gave me better ES/SD. I will say I cannalured those bullets and used a Lee Factory crimp.

you need to shoot the challenge matches!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Pharm, that is a pretty bad azzed RRA. I'm sure it will be shooting very good in no time. Probably do quite well in the black rifle challenge, as soon as you get the right load developed for the girl. One of my buddies has the RRA ATH Carbine and it shoots well, but not quite as well as any of my rifles. Your brothers rifle is a better rifle for accuracy IMHO. If you decide to try AR comp powder, here's my recipe. I think Tyrone was asking about it in another thread:

20.5 gr AR Comp
73 gr. ELD match
FC range pick up brass (lc works about as well)
BR4 (or CCI 400 if you dont' have BR4's)
2.255" OAL

This load develops very low ES's and excellent accuracy in all of my .223's (Ar's and bolt guns). I watched my buddy shoot his new Savage Trophy predator hunter, using this load, the other day and damn near put them all in the orange dot except for 1 flyer. 9 shots were into 5/8". The flyer opened the group up to an inch. I was so damn impressed with my buddy Troy's shooting that day, that I told him I was going to post his target in the Moa all day long challenge, if he kept the other 10 shot group that small. Needless to say, his second 10 shot group fell apart.

I'll just ad in case no one else did, careful with FC and top end loads. Pockets open quickly, often not good for more than a few shots if that. But often it was case capacity plus softness,IE if back off a pet load a bit, slow it down, the FC brass could be ok.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by rost495

I can barely afford shooting rats and fishing lol. I used to shoot PPC, IDPA, and 3 Gun. I never got into rifle competitions and just shoot for my own enjoyment now.

79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Pharm, that is a pretty bad azzed RRA. I'm sure it will be shooting very good in no time. Probably do quite well in the black rifle challenge, as soon as you get the right load developed for the girl. One of my buddies has the RRA ATH Carbine and it shoots well, but not quite as well as any of my rifles. Your brothers rifle is a better rifle for accuracy IMHO. If you decide to try AR comp powder, here's my recipe. I think Tyrone was asking about it in another thread:

20.5 gr AR Comp
73 gr. ELD match
FC range pick up brass (lc works about as well)
BR4 (or CCI 400 if you dont' have BR4's)
2.255" OAL

This load develops very low ES's and excellent accuracy in all of my .223's (Ar's and bolt guns). I watched my buddy shoot his new Savage Trophy predator hunter, using this load, the other day and damn near put them all in the orange dot except for 1 flyer. 9 shots were into 5/8". The flyer opened the group up to an inch. I was so damn impressed with my buddy Troy's shooting that day, that I told him I was going to post his target in the Moa all day long challenge, if he kept the other 10 shot group that small. Needless to say, his second 10 shot group fell apart.

I'll just ad in case no one else did, careful with FC and top end loads. Pockets open quickly, often not good for more than a few shots if that. But often it was case capacity plus softness,IE if back off a pet load a bit, slow it down, the FC brass could be ok.

I got some fc brass loaded up too see how it does. Been using LC brass. Also going to give frontier brass a try as well. My run out with LC brass has been pretty bad. Last night went and swapped out a lee sizing die with a rcbs sizing die. That seemed help out a lot.

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

IC B3

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I like Federal brass except for a couple of issues. Primer pockets can open up, but my last batch hasn't after four firings. And the brass stretches, sometimes .010" per resizing. I got a RCBS X dies for it but haven't tried it in 223 yet.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

I can barely afford shooting rats and fishing lol. I used to shoot PPC, IDPA, and 3 Gun. I never got into rifle competitions and just shoot for my own enjoyment now.

He's talking about this challenge
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...black-rifle-challenge-thread#Post9834630

Last edited by TWR; 04/18/19.
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by 79S

If you've got a good load for the 70 RDF in an AR, please share. I hear these rumors repeated of people being "pretty happy with it", but everyone I've talked to who actually uses it (myself included) had trouble getting it to shoot well in an AR. I really wanted to like that bullet, but didn't find a solid repeatable load for it; none of the good results were repeatable over multiple range trips. That seems to be the general consensus of it on the snipershide forum as well.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The problem with Varget in a progressive isn't the variance in charge weights, it's the occasional bridging you get that really throws the charge weight of a couple of cartridges off.

Politics is War by Other Means
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by TWR

That was through my former employer's M4 with 1-7" twist. My personal AR's have a 1-9" twist. I've heard that 1-9" can shoot 75gr, I can give it a try once I get some 75-77gr bullets. But it'll probably have to wait until after rat season. All my powder is being dedicated towards that rifght now.

Last edited by GoForBroke; 04/18/19.
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by TWR

I just looked at the rules and it sounds like 600 yards. but the last pictures look like they were shot at 100 yards. Is that correct?

79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Yondering
Originally Posted by 79S

If you've got a good load for the 70 RDF in an AR, please share. I hear these rumors repeated of people being "pretty happy with it", but everyone I've talked to who actually uses it (myself included) had trouble getting it to shoot well in an AR. I really wanted to like that bullet, but didn't find a solid repeatable load for it; none of the good results were repeatable over multiple range trips. That seems to be the general consensus of it on the snipershide forum as well.

79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TWR

I just looked at the rules and it sounds like 600 yards. but the last pictures look like they were shot at 100 yards. Is that correct?

It’s 100yds and it’s pretty fun shooting it. I have yet to crack moa with my AR. But fun trying

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by 79S

I am getting 3015 with 28.2 gr Alliant power pro 2000 with the 70 gr rdf, this is with a 24 inch match barrel on my Ar.

Last edited by Freddy; 04/18/19.
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
2 10 shot groups on one piece of paper at 100 yards, no mechanical rests or lead sleds but bulls bags are fine. Lighter bullets were always more accurate in my experience at close range.

I never could get 2 groups under MOA on the same paper. I fell apart every time.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
748 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 84 invisible), 2,773 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,702
Posts18,400,027
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.