Hop To
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12
O
oremi Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
I was watching a show on one of the hunting/outdoor channels "Savage Outdoors." From Savage Arms. I like Accutrigger but I don't understand something. Sportsman Channel.

They were in Canada somewhere an there were about five or six of them. Briefly, they had set up barrels in the woods that appeared to have food in them, some kind of a attractant (illegal in my state from what I can read, Georgia.) Anyway, they waited for the bears to come eat and then two women shot some bears with a bow and later another guy with a Savage rifle.

My question. How is that hunting? Am I missing something? First, why are they using attractants? And why do they hunt the bears in the first place? Do they eat them? Does it thin the herd so bears don't starve like deer?

I can eat a deer and thin the population but I just didn't get the bear hunting on this show. It looks pointless and unsporting (if you can have such a thing killing animals.)

I know that sounds like trolling. Sorry. I was genuinely puzzled.

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They are delicious and the population does need to be controlled. No different then baiting deer or hogs with a corn feeder...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The apaches believe, when you die you turn into a bear. Its like, that one over there is my aunt grin

But Buddhists believe something similar, so who am I to judge.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Bears are good to eat and can be hunted by spot and stalk as well as other methods.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Bears get overpopulated just the same as deer and even with bait success rates are well under 50% in some locals. And without bait and or dogs in a lot of areas you’d never kill enough to keep them in check.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i barely understand your question , would you explain ?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by persiandog
i barely understand your question , would you explain ?

Its cryptic; I think he's referring to the life force, or the aura around a body.

The Chinese would align their chakras for better karma. Something along those lines.

Hippies dig it.

MOLON LABE

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I love to hunt bears, no hounds or bait allowed in Oregon, although I see both still in use here illegally. Bears are fun to pattern, learn what they eat, where they drink and when, where they sleep, and what they live like. Fascinating creatures all around that deserve much respect.

Hunting them over bait, TO ME, is disgraceful and a very real knock on the character of a true bear hunt. Why not just kill possums or skunks if you like to hunt garbage eating baited bears?

I'm sorry but any moron can sit in a blind and shoot a bear over a food pile and know nothing of the bear individually or bears collectively. Not going into the legality of it, just that it diminishes the bear greatly. Frankly it pisses me off when some ass wagon thinks he's all that after shooting a big bear over a garbage pile. Fucquing bear would have him for lunch in the real world.

Screw baiting.

LOL
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
know nothing of the bear individually or bears collectively

Some folks think bears have a secret religion. They also believe they go to work, come home and watch tv. On weekends, they play softball.

I have never seen it personally, but I'd like to think that world exists.

MOLON LABE

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Why hunt bears? Because they will not hunt themselves.
Personally, I don't want to run into one while deer hunting, as the law here will not allow the average bow hunter a backup weapon. Only a CCW is exempt from the law.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Baiting bears is illegal here in New Mexico. They can be hunted with hounds, although I don't know anyone who hunts them that way. Seems like most of the hound hunters are nonresidents who have only a relatively short time to hunt. The season is long and bears are plentiful in many areas. I usually see at least one or two when I am deer hunting. Back when I was guiding guest hunters, it was not unusual to see several in the course of a 7-day hunting season.

I finally bought a bear license last year, primarily because I didn't draw a deer license. I hunted off and on during the open season, but saw only females with cubs or young bears. I was looking for a decent-sized bear that would make a good rug.

I found that for residents like me, who can walk out the door and be hunting bears within an hour or two, you can take your time, It s not necessary go out on days with really foul weather. I had some really enjoyable fall days afield and saw a lot of wildlife--just not any bears that I wanted to shoot. I will buy another license this year, whether I draw a deer tag or not.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It s not necessary go out on days with really foul weather.

I have never heard of "bear weather"; so you may have something there.

MOLON LABE

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Why hunt bear ?

They are wild animals.
They are ‘game’ animals.
They are edible.
Their heads ‘may’ be record size — like deer antlers.
Their hides are very usable & valuable & beautiful.

I’m NOT talking about shooting over bait. I mean hunt.

My question is:

Why NOT hunt bears ?

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 03/17/19.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Fireball2
I love to hunt bears, no hounds or bait allowed in Oregon, although I see both still in use here illegally. Bears are fun to pattern, learn what they eat, where they drink and when, where they sleep, and what they live like. Fascinating creatures all around that deserve much respect.

Hunting them over bait, TO ME, is disgraceful and a very real knock on the character of a true bear hunt. Why not just kill possums or skunks if you like to hunt garbage eating baited bears?

I'm sorry but any moron can sit in a blind and shoot a bear over a food pile and know nothing of the bear individually or bears collectively. Not going into the legality of it, just that it diminishes the bear greatly. Frankly it pisses me off when some ass wagon thinks he's all that after shooting a big bear over a garbage pile. Fucquing bear would have him for lunch in the real world.

Screw baiting.

Fireball2,

Your a true genius!

GFY,
Tom

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
This bear lost his energy when we found him eating from a plastic container. He was harvested for his organs and his pajamas.

Yes, bears wear pajamas.

[Linked Image]

I took part of the pajamas and made a spirit of the bear chair to remind me why there are hunters and gatherers.

[Linked Image]

Now I can walk through the bear forest unafraid.

MOLON LABE

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I don't "hunt" bears, but before I got old enough to qualify for a lifetime Senior license, I bought a Damage Stamp every year in case I saw one while deer hunting. Now the bear hunting privilege is included with my license (also stinky, slimy hatchery trout).

Like the other guy said; they're edible and have pretty hides, so I want one. There's also a notion I have that largish predatory animals have to be kept somewhat in fear of us lest they get too pushy, which is another good reason to keep after coyotes in rural and suburban areas, besides the obvious one that it's fun.

From your narrative, it sounds like what you really want to know is why people hunt bears over bait. The other kids answered that I think. I don't want to hunt that way myself, but there's a reason why it's allowed in some places, and I trust the professionals to know where that's an appropriate method, and where it's not. Here, two bears can be taken on your stamp, if one of them is from certain counties where there are too many. Dogs are legal in some places (another method I'll pass on), but not all. I suspect that many if not most are taken incidently by deer hunters. Now that I have a crossbow, bears are on the menu for me from the end of September through the end of December, plus four more days of sidelock ML season.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hunting over bait allows the hunter to be more selective on the animal they kill. Plus most places where they're baited don't offer very good spot and stock hunting for them. No different than killing hogs or deer over bait, which doesn't seem to attract such disdain around here. Keep bitchin' though and maybe nobody will be able to hunt them. FWIW I've never sat on a bait in my life, regardless of quarry, and don't give a schit if anybody does it.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bears are pretty damn smart if they come into a bait site and you screw up., miss, spook it off You will be hard pressed to get that bear to come back into a bait site.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Bears are predators and need to be treated as such... only Alaskans think they’re really huntin somthing..... as they schlep them up off kelp beds....

Down here they’re treated like shiit that they are... some think they’re a trophy...

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
548 members (160user, 222Sako, 10gaugeman, 1badf350, 1lessdog, 17CalFan, 50 invisible), 2,606 guests, and 1,155 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,735
Posts18,401,057
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.