Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by SandBilly
It’s a shame you have to walk around N [bleep]. You should build an arrow head house..

Ya it's like the lord of the flies book out their man

Hahahaha!!!
Your a fugging nugg crazy laugh laugh

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by renegade50
Originally Posted by SandBilly
It’s a shame you have to walk around N [bleep]. You should build an arrow head house..

Ya it's like the lord of the flies book out their man

Hahahaha!!!
Your a fugging nugg crazy laugh laugh

I do my best...

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
There's a big crop fiend right next to my place that I'd like to walk to look for old points. But I don't want the guy to put up a "No arrowheading" sign to go with his "No fishing" sign.

I'm about to get the redass about all these signs pointing at my house.

It's starting to look like a damn Burma Shave advertisement.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
He ought to just put up one big sign,..

"Cain't do schitt here! Don't ask!"

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by RipSnort
What type of rock are those artifacts made from and are they locally sourced? If so, where? Have you found a source area? I think this is very cool stuff; never found an arrowhead.

Thanks, RS

Slumlord is the rockologist

We have found material source,s .

IC B2

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Bristoe
There's a big crop fiend right next to my place that I'd like to walk to look for old points. But I don't want the guy to put up a "No arrowheading" sign to go with his "No fishing" sign.

I'm about to get the redass about all these signs pointing at my house.

It's starting to look like a damn Burma Shave advertisement.

laugh laugh laugh

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
One and ony I ever found was in Goshen County Wyoming, Lone Tree Canyon. Wife's uncle lived in Chugwater and knew who to ask to get in. A perfect little thing laying under the edge of a sage brush. There were lots of chips in some of the potholes along the cliff edges, probably sitting there chipping and watching. There were also the wagon ruts worn in the sandstone; must have been a tough trip to go places then.

There is an abandoned wheat field behind us, never thought to look hard there. Some people used to find stuff along Sand Creek and Tollgate Creek.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I tend to find a fair amount of flakes. Not too many points.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Chert

Nodules plucked from the surrounding landscape.

(St Louis limestone formation)

I don't know all individual nuances of chert such as ("wayne county variety, hornstone, buffalo river, etc)

You cannot take a step without putting a foot on 5-10 pieces of debitage and flakes. *in the denser spots

No telling what the horizons below contain.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I think of this as us walking thru the woods throwing our guns all over the ground. WTH?

LOL
IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Locally we find Paleo stuff made of Alibates flint, then the mid era stuff in grey chert, and later stuff once again out of Alibates. We’re a couple hundred miles from the Alibates flint quarry, pretty amazing that some half naked guys on foot moved and traded over such a large range.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by TheKid
Locally we find Paleo stuff made of Alibates flint, then the mid era stuff in grey chert, and later stuff once again out of Alibates. We’re a couple hundred miles from the Alibates flint quarry, pretty amazing that some half naked guys on foot moved and traded over such a large range.

What else they gunna carry, they didn't have a refer for beer yet.

LOL
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T

Originally Posted by Fireball2
I think of this as us walking thru the woods throwing our guns all over the ground. WTH?

More like finding bullets either where they landed when shot or where some guy lost his ammo belt. Or a bullet caster tossing aside imperfect bullets as they come out of the mold. Generations of people doing this in the same areas for a few thousand years tends to pile them up.

Most of the ones we find are probably from camp or cache sites. Occasionally you’ll find a flier on a game trail on a mountainside or in a natural funnel for game but they’re almost always just the one.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by TheKid

Originally Posted by Fireball2

More like finding bullets either where they landed when shot or where some guy lost his ammo belt. Or a bullet caster tossing aside imperfect bullets as they come out of the mold. Generations of people doing this in the same areas for a few thousand years tends to pile them up.

Most of the ones we find are probably from camp or cache sites. Occasionally you’ll find a flier on a game trail on a mountainside or in a natural funnel for game but they’re almost always just the one.

Hard to conceive of.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Last couple of years I've been turkey hunting in TN with a pretty cool landowner.

He has found bunches (like basket fulls) of Indian artifacts in his area, seems the area was heavy with "creek" Indians,

anyway there's a place where 2 creeks converge and inside this convergence there's a pretty good size flat area and on the slightly uphill slope there is a really old tree,

This spot under the tree is/was prime real estate for chiefs or other upper tribal members, the view and location scream "prime" spot, not to mention the gurgling underground spring,

In the mornings when the Sun rises during Turkey season, I'm sitting there with my back up against that tree,

I'm just aghast at what that tree or those 2 creeks might tell if they could, sitting there where who knows how many generations lived and died.

Fascinating stuff.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
willing to bet you find so many heads in one area is because the success ratio to failure per head was terribly low, sitting there for hours chipping away, something goes wrong and you toss it.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Kenneth
willing to bet you find so many heads in one area is because the success ratio to failure per head was terribly low, sitting there for hours chipping away, something goes wrong and you toss it.

I have found points with flaws and fugged up faults in the materials
In pristine perfect shape.
Almost like dude was proving to others he could do it to prove em wrong.
They were human
I imagine dudes showed schitt off too.
Good looking stuff. Difficult stuff.
Stuff appealing to the eye and envy stuff.
Sitting around a campfire busting on friends and family stuff.

Just like being proud showing off a gun to your friends nowadays.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by renegade50
Originally Posted by Kenneth

I have found points with flaws and fugged up faults in the materials
In pristine perfect shape.
Almost like dude was proving to others he could do it to prove em wrong.
They were human
I imagine dudes showed schitt off too.
Good looking stuff. Difficult stuff.
Stuff appealing to the eye and envy stuff.
Sitting around a campfire busting on friends and family stuff.

Just like being proud showing off a gun to your friends nowadays.

The study of Ishi proved that they could make a fine craftsmanship point in 5-15 minutes if IIRC.

They did mess up and break one now and again, but for the most part they were very skilled, and knew what they were doing.

Some of the most interesting things I have seen are Paleo poinst found in a stash... like 5-6 of them made by the same person, and a couple even included finding the flute chip taken out of the middle. Pretty neat stuff. I believe they were Clovis.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
No tilling has pretty much messed up the arrowhead finding around here, as few fields are actually tilled anymore.....plowing and discing before being planted. I know a few places that are still worked up, but they are either off limits, or else are a waste of time. I don't know about other areas of the country, but around here there has to be a water source nearby in order to find anything. That would be a river, creek, or spring in my area. We have a lot of sinkholes here, with underground streams, and I assume that at some point in time, many moons ago, some of these must have had water year round, because there have been some good points found in those areas.

I can only recall finding one arrowhead in a place where there was no sign of any other flint or point making material, or no water. This was a every small arrowhead, and I figure the ole Injun must have shot that arrow at a critter.

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A lost skill, I know a gentleman who lives near me who claims to be one of the few traditional point makers around these parts, native guy.
I wonder how many today have the skills?

Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 16penny, 10ring1, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 53 invisible), 2,403 guests, and 1,175 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,243
Posts18,466,884
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.