Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
No disrespect at all intended towards the Aussies nor the Kiwis, but I was under the impression that they declared war on the Japs because the Japs also attacked the British the same time as they attacked the U.S. as well. They did not declare war on the Japs because the Japs attacked the U.S. I am sure they did not appreciate it, though. I am very glad that we all worked together to defeat them.

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by model70man
If it wasn't for the good old USA and it's many gun owners and finest military in the world the Australians, the New Zealanders and their cousins, the British fog breathers would be speaking Japanese right now. They are ungrateful people who don't deserve help from us any more.

If it wasn't for the French you would still be an English colony.

You are ill informed and ungrateful...and can stop inviting us to every war you start.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Henryseale
No disrespect at all intended towards the Aussies nor the Kiwis, but I was under the impression that they declared war on the Japs because the Japs also attacked the British the same time as they attacked the U.S. as well. They did not declare war on the Japs because the Japs attacked the U.S. I am sure they did not appreciate it, though. I am very glad that we all worked together to defeat them.

No, because they attacked Pearl Harbour....that was what the declaration of war stated.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
The Japanese attacks on Burma and Hong Kong happened within hours of Pearl Harbour, lets just say that the declaration of war was coincidental with three strategic strikes by Japan within a 24hr period. Japan declared war on America and British Empire on 8 December 1941.

The battle of the Coral Sea was perhaps a tactical victory for Japan, a strategic victory for the Allies (America in particular), but ultimately irrelevant.

The first reversal of Japanese fortune, and possibly the single most significant battle of the Pacific Theatre was the Battle of Midway in early June 1942.

On a percentage of armed forces lost to overall population, America is low on the list. The UK, Canada, Australia and New Zealand all lost a greater percentage of their population than America.

USA 0.32%
Canada 0.38%
Australia 0.58%
New Zealand 0.72%
UK 0.94%

The numbers look worse for America if you only count military service deaths and disregard civilian deaths.

USA 0.31%
Canada 0.37%
Australia 0.57%
New Zealand 0.72%
UK 0.80%

So who paid the highest price again?

There is enough 'ugly American' getting around on this forum to turn many nations off American presence. The greatest generation would probably be disappointed to see what passes for American culture today. Particularly the unfettered support of some sections of society for a Vietnam War draft dodger.

Last edited by Adamjp; 03/18/19.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Damn, the thought police at work!

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
IC B2

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
NZ Gov are fools for making law abiding citizen criminals and want to send them to 10years in prison.

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
Originally Posted by oremi
NZ Gov are fools for making law abiding citizen criminals and want to send them to 10years in prison.

He won't be going anywhere but home to his mother.

"The 257 Roberts, some people like to call it the “.257 Bob.” I think these people should be hung in trees where crows can peck at them." - David Petzal
Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
Originally Posted by Filaman
Damn, the thought police at work!

And a very articulate and lucid thought police too.

"The 257 Roberts, some people like to call it the “.257 Bob.” I think these people should be hung in trees where crows can peck at them." - David Petzal
Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Alot of questions about visiting New Zealand have been answered for me after this tragedy. The government is just as fascist as our own Demonrats. Think I'll pass on a visit.

Up to you what you do with your travel plans. However, like most places you'll consider visiting for the first time, it's never like you imagine it to be.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JSTUART
If it wasn't for the good old USA and it's many gun owners and finest military in the world the Australians, the New Zealanders and their cousins, the British fog breathers would be speaking Japanese right now. They are ungrateful people who don't deserve help from us any more.

You are ill informed and ungrateful...and can stop inviting us to every war you start.

Kick him a little harder!

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JSTUART
No, because they attacked Pearl Harbour....that was what the declaration of war stated.

WWII was won by the Allies, It was a joint effort plain and simple.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Its a generational thing with Kiwis.

The older ones like and respect America.

The younger ones....not so much.

I sometimes think its the same with Americans.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

======================================================================================================================================================================

That is a probable fact. Also, do not make the mistake of thinking the French had any particular great affection for the rebellious American colonies. Nor any disdain, either, for that matter. Our revolution was an avenue for them to fight the British away from Europe. A pretty good strategy that worked quite well for them and benefited us.

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by zeissman

And just why do you think people here are ungrateful for U.S. forces in WWII stopping the japs at the battle of the Coral Sea? Or is this just a figment of your screwed up imagination?

It's not my imagination, I guess I spent too much time on LinkedIn listening to the gun grabbers there. I want to live free with my handguns, rifles and shotguns. The idiots who don't want people down under to own anything that is a semi-auto or a handgun are screwed up in my opinion. Anyway, I will never visit there although my late father was a USMC Gunnery Sergeant who spent six months on Guadalcanal and he came back screwed up. Maybe it's hereditary.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
The French haven't won anything in two centuries that I know of. I could be wrong though.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
The French haven't won anything in two centuries that I know of. I could be wrong though.

They're the undisputed world champs at tank backing, their military tanks have one forward gear and seven reverse gears ; ]

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I've got a chitcan sneaking suspicion the shooter was a muzzie!

Trump Won!
Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
Originally Posted by zeissman

And just why do you think people here are ungrateful for U.S. forces in WWII stopping the japs at the battle of the Coral Sea? Or is this just a figment of your screwed up imagination?

It's not my imagination, I guess I spent too much time on LinkedIn listening to the gun grabbers there. I want to live free with my handguns, rifles and shotguns. The idiots who don't want people down under to own anything that is a semi-auto or a handgun are screwed up in my opinion. Anyway, I will never visit there although my late father was a USMC Gunnery Sergeant who spent six months on Guadalcanal and he came back screwed up. Maybe it's hereditary.

Sorry about your dad. My father was the same. One morning when I was nine years old I found him sobbing at the breakfast table and he was a hard man or so I thought. My mother said it was the anniversary of some particular battle against the Germans where he'd lost a few of his best friends. My small town has a memorial to all the local young guys who went off to fight in Europe in WWI and WWII and never returned. Also, one in Afghanistan too. Every small or large town in NZ has a memorial. Australia, Canada and Britain (fog breathers) too. I lost an uncle as well. Such a waste, but they did their duty.

The Japanese of course were particularly viscous fighters and eager to die for the emperor. One of the best books I've read on WWII was Eugene Sledge's "With the Old Breed".

If you ever do come down this way I'm sure you'll be welcomed and well treated and enjoy yourself. We're all brothers after all. Good luck and take care of yourself.

Update: The prime minister has announced this afternoon that it will ban all military assault type semi-autos. Other semi-autos such as .22 rimfire, high power hunting semi-auto rifles and semi-auto shotguns will be unaffected. Won't stop the criminals or any terrorists but hey, it'll keep the non gun public happy.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes we have the 2nd amendment

Along with corporate bailouts

Fed funded abortions

SS headed to the red at an alarming pace, actually no money in there. Just backed by the full faith of our govt

I’d like to think those down under and other freedom loving folks sprinkled upon this planet don’t cheer those things any more than they,cheered the collapse of the WTC buildings

Saddens me a bit when we look down our nose upon them when their freedoms are curtailed by their govts

Muslim infiltration is a problem in many countries along with ours

But the real battle seems to be joe avg citizen against freedom grabbing govts

For me, I’m just gonna wish my brothers in ideals good luck in whatever battles they face whether against govt sponsored Muslim immigration or attempts to degrade the freedoms they enjoy.

Hope I can count upon them to do the same for us. Our battles may be slightly different, but we have our battles as well.

To all my brothers down under, I wish you well as you navigate through this new development. Cosmoline and shovels are your friend, your govt? Remains to be seen.

Last edited by 2legit2quit; 03/21/19.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Adamjp
The Japanese attacks on Burma and Hong Kong happened within hours of Pearl Harbour, lets just say that the declaration of war was coincidental with three strategic strikes by Japan within a 24hr period. Japan declared war on America and British Empire on 8 December 1941.

The battle of the Coral Sea was perhaps a tactical victory for Japan, a strategic victory for the Allies (America in particular), but ultimately irrelevant.

The first reversal of Japanese fortune, and possibly the single most significant battle of the Pacific Theatre was the Battle of Midway in early June 1942.

On a percentage of armed forces lost to overall population, America is low on the list. The UK, Canada, Australia and New Zealand all lost a greater percentage of their population than America.

USA 0.32%
Canada 0.38%
Australia 0.58%
New Zealand 0.72%
UK 0.94%

The numbers look worse for America if you only count military service deaths and disregard civilian deaths.

USA 0.31%
Canada 0.37%
Australia 0.57%
New Zealand 0.72%
UK 0.80%

So who paid the highest price again?

There is enough 'ugly American' getting around on this forum to turn many nations off American presence. The greatest generation would probably be disappointed to see what passes for American culture today. Particularly the unfettered support of some sections of society for a Vietnam War draft dodger.

The numbers in Canada go way up when you exclude Central Canada. Men work wiped out in some of the western Canadian towns in 1 & 2. Newfoundland also.
Aussies were considered ferocious fighters just like Canadians. I suspect Kiwi's were too.
I know quite a few Canadians that fought in Vietnam and Korea. Nobody will fight tougher than aforementioned.
Our PM 's Dad was a draft Dodger also.Justin was hit with the same hammer- embarrassing. Not acceptable.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 1234, 11point, 10ring1, 66 invisible), 3,055 guests, and 1,169 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,340
Posts18,468,698
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.