Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
GunDoc,

Damned if I know, because I've never messed all that much with either version of the 6.8 SPC, mostly because it never seemed like a real solution to any hunting "problem" I've encountered--and I'm primarily a hunter.

But that's what I hear and read from people who have, and I know some SPC experts. But from other experience, suspect the twist is FAR behind the throat dimensions.

As mentioned earlier, do know that Bill Wilson (who I hunted with using his 6.8 AR's almost a decade ago) decided to develop another round that he's pretty sure works better for general big game hunting in an AR-15, the .300 HAM'R. He's pretty sure because of shooting hundreds of pigs, and other animals, with it.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Jevyod,

The B-29 is a mythical wildcat, which I made up probably close to 20 years ago after a conversation around a real campfire with Dave Scovill (then the editor of RIFLE and HANDLOADER) and Ron Spomer, while camping in teepees on the New Mexico plains to hunt antelope.

The point was to "invent" a fictional wildcat that was far superior to any general big game cartridge ever. It was .29 caliber because no popular sporting round has ever been a .29. My eventual article (with photos) was a complete work of fiction, but a BUNCH of readers fell for it, to the point where more people contacted the magazine than ever before. Among other things, Monica Lewinsky supposedly ground the reamer, the bullets had such high BC's it was initially suspected they actually ROSE in flight, and not only killed deer and elk suddenly at 400+ yards, but flipped them over on their backs, ready for field-dressing.

Basically, it was a spoof on how many shooters firmly believe in magic cartridges. And it proved how many do.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Jevyod Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I figured it was something along that line!! I love humor and would be interested in getting the article(and reading it to my friends)!! Is there a good place to purchase it??!

......the occasional hunter wielding a hopelessly inaccurate rifle, living by the fantastical rule that this cartridge can deliver the goods, regardless of shot placement or rifle accuracy. The correct term for this is minute of ego.
J
Jevyod Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Actually think I may have found it. Is it in Handloader #203?

......the occasional hunter wielding a hopelessly inaccurate rifle, living by the fantastical rule that this cartridge can deliver the goods, regardless of shot placement or rifle accuracy. The correct term for this is minute of ego.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Darned if I know, but that would be about right!

If I put it in GGIII, will also add some stories about how it was received....

John Steinbeck
IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
^^^^^^^
Be sure to include data on the B-29 AI, because an extra 300 fps is not to be ignored!

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
GunDoc,

Damned if I know, because I've never messed all that much with either version of the 6.8 SPC, mostly because it never seemed like a real solution to any hunting "problem" I've encountered--and I'm primarily a hunter.

But that's what I hear and read from people who have, and I know some SPC experts. But from other experience, suspect the twist is FAR behind the throat dimensions.

As mentioned earlier, do know that Bill Wilson (who I hunted with using his 6.8 AR's almost a decade ago) decided to develop another round that he's pretty sure works better for general big game hunting in an AR-15, the .300 HAM'R. He's pretty sure because of shooting hundreds of pigs, and other animals, with it.

Thanks for the reply. I've never explored the AR platform as a hunting rifle. But fighting bad guys, trying to kill multiple pigs at a time, or any other reason for quick repeat shots, the platform is a good one. I'm certainly not going to fault anyone for hunting with one using it within the limits of whatever the cartridge happens to be. (You have written some thoughtful stuff about the logical inconsistencies in the arguments some people use when discussing various rifle actions.)

My big issue is the government not banning the platform!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Jevyod,

I'll agree with prior posters that BBGG I & II are both great places to start for the ballistic and bullet gack (and I'd follow those with Rifle Troubleshooting and Handloading and then Obsessions of a Rifle Loony, in that order). As far as Johns collections of hunting stories they are all good. But I think my favorite is his first, The Life of the Hunt. That's one I need to pick up and read again.

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Azar,

Thanks very much. The Life of the Hunt is also my personal favorite. Once in a while I reread it again myself--and wonder where some of that stuff was hiding in my subconscious.

John Steinbeck
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Have started it, probably about 1/3 of the way into the first draft. Will probably be 2 years before it's published: GUN GACK appeared in 2015, GGII in 2018--but between them we published THE BIG BOOK OF BIG GAME HUNTING.

MULE DEER , 25 Creedmoor its that a thought for Gun Gack 3 ?

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Maybe. We shall see!

John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
John,

I have to say that I think one of my all-time favorite hunting stories of yours is "Remembering Grandma" (if I remember the title right). I loved that story and found myself wishing I could have known her personally. What an amazing, tough, and resilient woman.

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
i do look forward to your next Gun Gack 3 book. i have even thought i might get a Gun Gack 1 & 2 for some Christmas gifts ? any deals this year on the pair ?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Azar,

Yep, that's the title. She was indeed pretty tough, as any woman homesteading by herself in Montana had to be!

John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Pete,

Eileen says she can subtract $3 for each additional Gun Gack book above the first one, if they're shipped in one package. You can either order through riflesandrecipes.com and add a note of that in the space to make requests. (Most people us it for how they want them signed. We autograph every one that's shipped, but can add special notes for gift-books, also free of charge.)

Or you can call her at 406-521-0273.

John Steinbeck
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I'm feeling the need for a few more JB Books. (Anybody see what I did there?)

But I actually do feel like a couple more books.

Last edited by GunDoc7; 03/21/19.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
MULE DEER, will order this this summer,thank you,Pete53

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
MD, does riflesandrecipes have a complete index of your, and Elaine's books?

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Mark,

Do you mean a complete list of ALL our books that have ever been published, even those that are out of print? Or all that are still available? No on the first, yes on the second.

John Steinbeck
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Just finished the Gacks--outstanding!

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

615 members (10ring1, 1lessdog, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 19rabbit52, 12344mag, 56 invisible), 2,892 guests, and 1,197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,525
Posts18,452,804
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.