Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
cas6969 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I've read many reports of accuracy that was less than impressive, but it's kind of subjective. Without knowing the shooter, the loads, the shooters ability to deal with a very light rifle, the shooter trying to shoot small groups too fast with a light barrel...

I don't own one, but am seriously considering it. (for no good reason really... other than that I don't own any bolt actions even close to being light. I think nothing of humping 10-15lb rifles around the woods because it's fun. But when the safes are full, you need to find new excuses. wink )

Last edited by cas6969; 03/17/19.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you get in to the AR part of the forums, you’ll see a lot of discussion on ten shot groups vs. three shot groups being the real measure of a rifle’s ability.

My ten shot group, without cooling in between, fired over maybe five minutes, factory Hornady 140 American Gunner BTHP, 21” Fieldcraft with a SWFA 3-9 MQ scope, was lust over 1-1/4”.

If that’s an accuracy “problem” I’ll take it all day long.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I was initially a bit concerned, based on a box of Hornady ELD-X loads and my first swing at handloads using I4350. Latched onto some H4350 and saw an an immediate improvement. Next up are some 95gr BTs and maybe some 90gr ETips, since both are "in stock" on my bench. Rifles this light aren't easy to shoot groups with, as noted before. Stil working on my technique.

Someone at Barrett told me they use the ELD-M loads for testing new rifles. I may order a box next time I see it on sale.

What fresh Hell is this?
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
FWIW, I talked to Warne and Weaver about producing Weaver style bases for the Fieldcraft, and neither had current plans for production. Also asked Talley about Extra Lows, and they straight up said no. Someone could bug Leupold about bases, as they may be more willing since they already make the Picatinny rail, but I’m over the Barrett and have moved back to Kimbers and Titanium Remington clones for lightweight rifles.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
FWIW, I talked to Warne and Weaver about producing Weaver style bases for the Fieldcraft, and neither had current plans for production. Also asked Talley about Extra Lows, and they straight up said no. Someone could bug Leupold about bases, as they may be more willing since they already make the Picatinny rail, but I’m over the Barrett and have moved back to Kimbers and Titanium Remington clones for lightweight rifles.

I've considered taking the DNZ mediums to a local shop and checking with them about machining a bit off the bottom to get exactly the height I'd like. Not sure the how feasible it is or hoops that I'd have to jump through on shortening screws.....essentially an xlow DNZ. Time/cost would likely rule it out for a shop. There's a fair amount of room to shorten on the mediums with a 42mm scope:

[Linked Image]

IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by David_Walter
If you get in to the AR part of the forums, you’ll see a lot of discussion on ten shot groups vs. three shot groups being the real measure of a rifle’s ability.

My ten shot group, without cooling in between, fired over maybe five minutes, factory Hornady 140 American Gunner BTHP, 21” Fieldcraft with a SWFA 3-9 MQ scope, was lust over 1-1/4”.

If that’s an accuracy “problem” I’ll take it all day long.

I'm a simple 3 shot group guy on hunting rifles and the FC's I've shot groups with (3 different rifles) have done it with the first (and second) off the cuff loads I put through each of them.

I've done a quick 9 round tracking test with one that was 3 shots, 15 MOA up/3 shots, 15 MOA back down/3 shots. Nice little 3 shot cluster at the top and a 6 shot cluster at the bottom that was well under an inch. Shots were all done with no cool down, only enough time to dial between the three shot groups. This was a 21" 6.5. All shots were prone with free recoil so I didn't have to do anything special.

They've been easy.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Two of mine shoot great (6CM and stubby 6.5CM both sub MOA). The third (full length 6.5CM) strings as it warms up. It doesn’t bother me much as the cold bore shot is reliable. Patiently waiting for one of those micro actions.

Last edited by AKduck; 03/17/19.

Yup.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Regarding the Fieldcraft and Montana stock comparison. I don't own a Montana anymore and its been a while since I've handled one. Refresh my memory on the major differences and why most prefer the Montana.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
The Montana stock on the FC would be Nirvana, IMO.

What are the biggest differences in the stocks? I’ve never handled a Montana .

The Montana has a little shorter LOP, is more slender in the wrist, and the grip is ambidextrous.

I’m another fan of the Kimber Montana stock.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I just snagged a Howa Alpine with the LAW stock. Be interesting to see how that one feels. This is pretty subjective, but when my sons handled my FC, both went "Ooohhh!!". One's about my size and build, the other is a lot taller with a 7' wingspan.

Mine has a VX-5 HD 2-10 on it now in low Talleys. Have the Talley rail too, but hesitate to change because it lines up so well and the rail will put the scope a smidge higher. Not likely I'll break those Talleys with a 6.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
See above, but the wrist, belly, LOP, and general straightness top my list of favorite Montana stock features. The wrist is more open/straighter on the Kimber Montana stock. The forend is less blocky on the Montana.

The BFC stock reminds me of the original CLR stock with maybe less taper toward the forend tip. It feels like it doesn’t want to be held. It’s dimensioning, radiuses, massing and proportions are all kind of just blah. It’s like someone anxiously sanded away any character, edge, and difinitive transition turning it into a homogeneous blah. Bergara’s Mountain Rifle stock share some of these characteristics, albeit with a thinner hourglassing wrist.

This said, without even a hint of arm twisting, I’ll concede these points as 100% personal preference.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Havent' sold mine, and only would if they came out with a configuration that I preferred.

Although there are a few things I think could be improved.

1. The stock could use more texture. It gets slick when wet.
2. mount options like others have said... I need it to go lower unless I use a cheek riser.
3. Locking bolt would be nice but not enough for me to sell the rifle over.
4. Tang safety is a dream... but again no dealbreaker.

I would trade up to a heavier barrel profile as well, I dont' need a rifle this light.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I've never owned a Barrett Fieldcraft and the reason why is because I can't convince myself that it is the better option over a simple Tikka T3 for some of the weather conditions I find myself in while hunting northwest Montana.

Before you chastise me please allow me to explain my position. The hunting conditions I often hunt in are blizzard, snow and ice, sometimes snow, rain and freezing weather all at the same time here in northwest Montana. It doesn't seem to matter what the weather is doing the Tikka T3 every time will go bang when I need it to regardless of a sheet of ice frozen to the action.

What I would like to know before I go out and spend the Money on a Fieldcraft is will the Fieldcraft consistently perform in those type of conditions as well as a Tikka? If it doesn't rather than turn around and sale one I'd much prefer to not spend that kind of money to begin with

Trystan

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Trystan
I've never owned a Barrett Fieldcraft and the reason why is because I can't convince myself that it is the better option over a simple Tikka T3 for some of the weather conditions I find myself in while hunting northwest Montana.

Before you chastise me please allow me to explain my position. The hunting conditions I often hunt in are blizzard, snow and ice, sometimes snow, rain and freezing weather all at the same time here in northwest Montana. It doesn't seem to matter what the weather is doing the Tikka T3 every time will go bang when I need it to regardless of a sheet of ice frozen to the action.

What I would like to know before I go out and spend the Money on a Fieldcraft is will the Fieldcraft consistently perform in those type of conditions as well as a Tikka? If it doesn't rather than turn around and sale one I'd much prefer to not spend that kind of money to begin with

Trystan

Mauser

Have to say though, that weather like that is more fun than I want to have these days. You go right ahead.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AKduck
Patiently waiting for one of those micro actions.

IMPATIENTLY waiting for one of those micro-actions.

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Just picked up a 6.5 grendel ruger american from the classifieds to hold me over. Cant come soon enough!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I haven't sold mine and probably won't ever sell it! It's in 6.5 X 55 and shoots 130 Accubonds damn near in the same hole. I used 130 gr. Sirocco's last year, but I'm making a a switch after load testing.

The only drawback for me is the length of pull. I'm a big guy and I have the tendency to creep on the scope a little. I got a case of magnum eyebrow ( I know, I know you gotta magnum eyebrow from a nonmagnum round?) so I"m going to take it to my GS and have him add a couple of spacers to the butt.

The lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part!
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
My only con so far is I can't tell if it is very accurate yet. Mine is in 6.5x55. With all the factory loads I put through it so far it only shoot about an inch on average. I have handloads that I need to try to see if it will come close to my wife's Ruger in the same caliber.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by DubThomas
I haven't sold mine and probably won't ever sell it! It's in 6.5 X 55 and shoots 130 Accubonds damn near in the same hole. I used 130 gr. Sirocco's last year, but I'm making a a switch after load testing.

The only drawback for me is the length of pull. I'm a big guy and I have the tendency to creep on the scope a little. I got a case of magnum eyebrow ( I know, I know you gotta magnum eyebrow from a nonmagnum round?) so I"m going to take it to my GS and have him add a couple of spacers to the butt.

Dub, the 130 accubond in the 6.5X55 swede has been absolutely stellar on game for me

Trystan

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Same company makes Kimber and Barrett stocks

https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/ag-composites/

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

96 members (35, 338rcm, 7x57Hunter, AGL4now, 160user, 41rem, 14 invisible), 969 guests, and 737 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,221
Posts18,447,504
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.