Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Those are 2 separate rifles, 308 with the antelope and 243 with the deer...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

The pump-action is fastest not only to cycle, but you don't have to remove your finger from the trigger. While some lever-actions have the trigger in the lever mechanism, most don't.

Working a lever-action requires pulling the lever down, which unless the trigger is part of the lever mechanism tends to push the buttstock down on the shoulder--especially with a rifle chambered for a longer cartridge, which requires a longer lever-throw, often even in front of the trigger. Which is exactly why so many early lever-actions had curved metal buttplates, which tend to keep the butt in the same place on the shoulder. But except for "classic" reproductions, curved buttplates are very rare--and on harder-kicking rifles tend to hurt the shoulder.

In contrast, a pump-action allows the shooter's finger to stay on the trigger, and the forward push on the forend also brings the rifle down from recoil. Which is why lever-action shotguns quickly became essentially extinct: Pumps were a LOT faster. Which is one reason so many professional trick-shot artists used them, instead of lever actions.

Thanks M D

Folks who don’t use a pump rifle enuff to become proficient — or never have — don’t understand the natural action of the rifle and body’s natural movement during firing, & can’t understand the fluidity of motion.

Also the pumps in standard cartridges hold 4 rounds in the mag. Once you’re ready to hunt/shoot, one up the spot makes 5 rounds completely loaded.

I do like levers, especially the BL 22, 9422 & 9422M. Obviously the Savage 99
has great respect in the hunting world. I’ve had BLR s in 243 & 358 so I’m not UN accustomed to lever action rifles.

I have & like the Rem pumps BUT I’m a B A guy too.

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 03/12/19.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by gerry35
Originally Posted by comerade
I don't carry a lever action Big Game rifle because it is any quicker, I am a Sheep hunter, quick doesn't matter, narrow does and because the BLR takes down , I do this regularly.
The new Miroku model 94 does as well.
I really like the old leverguns too, but I always wanted a takedown hunting rifle and after seeing a European hunter with one. I decided to get a takedown BLR.
More rifles should be available in takedown models, imo. It is nice putting it away in a dry pack when you need to.

What is your BLR chambered In? I have a non takedown 358 Win that sure is fun to shoot. Had another BLR in the past and love how they handle in the field.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I don't carry a lever action Big Game rifle because it is any quicker, I am a Sheep hunter, quick doesn't matter, narrow does and because the BLR takes down , I do this regularly.
I really like the old leverguns too, but I always wanted a takedown hunting rifle and after seeing a European hunter with one. I decided to get a takedown BLR.
More rifles should be available in takedown models, imo. It is nice putting it away in a dry pack when you need to.

What is your BLR chambered In? I have a non takedown 358 Win that sure is fun to shoot. Had another BLR in the past and love how they handle in the field.

Hi, my sheep rifle is a .270 win, I picked up another takedown in the. 450 Marlin, I have a .243 win that does not take down . These are all Miroku made. They do bring a smile .

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C

Hi, my sheep rifle is a .270 win, I picked up another takedown in the. 450 Marlin, I have a .243 win that does not take down . These are all Miroku made. They do bring a smile .
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by kolofardos
Mule Deer,
Any thoughts on the Sako Finnwolf? I've been lusting for one for a while, but haven't been able to find one up here.

I have a couple in 243 and 308, and they are exceptional rifles. They look a lot like the Winchester model 88, but are better made. They are quite accurate and work very well. I have been helping Mike Venturino with an article on these rifles that should be done for "Rifle" magazine in the next few months...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It looks immaculate.

IC B2

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I may be wrong, but eventually many things in life come full circle.

It only takes one hunter in a group of stand n' baiters to have continued success (which they will), to shoot some really nice stuff away from the corn slingers that gets a bit more attention towards pumps, autos and levers.

The recent "allowances" by government entities here in Iowa has seen the very recent use of rifles, especially the handy ones chambered in pistol cartridges, by people walking around in the woods and cover. The shotgun, despite being very effective, will lose ground to these guns in short order.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by HawkI
I may be wrong, but eventually many things in life come full circle.

It only takes one hunter in a group of stand n' baiters to have continued success (which they will), to shoot some really nice stuff away from the corn slingers that gets a bit more attention towards pumps, autos and levers.

The recent "allowances" by government entities here in Iowa has seen the very recent use of rifles, especially the handy ones chambered in pistol cartridges, by people walking around in the woods and cover. The shotgun, despite being very effective, will lose ground to these guns in short order.
It's been a boon here in IN to getting kids started too! Both my boys shot their first few deer with a 357 Mag single shot at an earlier age than I did. They couldn't handle a 20ga slug at the time, but the little 357 worked peachy!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Camerade,

+1 for takedowns.

All my sxs and pump shotguns are TD
All my single shot shotguns are TD
My Savage 24 Combo turkey gun is TD

Naturally both my double rifles(.405 and .45-70) are takedown.
My 1886, 1892,and 1895 are takedowns
My M61 is TD
My wife's 03 .22 is TD

My poor old pre 64 M70 FW .308 is not TD, but I am attached to it.

And then there are the guns of my kids and grand kids,,,

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by crshelton
Camerade,

+1 for takedowns.

All my sxs and pump shotguns are TD
All my single shot shotguns are TD
My Savage 24 Combo turkey gun is TD

Naturally both my double rifles(.405 and .45-70) are takedown.
My 1886, 1892,and 1895 are takedowns
My M61 is TD
My wife's 03 .22 is TD

My poor old pre 64 M70 FW .308 is not TD, but I am attached to it.

And then there are the guns of my kids and grand kids,,,

Morning, I just discovered the takedown rifle 10 years ago...an expensive European Sheep rifle. I saw this an decided a rifle that I could put in my dry pack had lots of merit. I couldn't justify buying a gorgeous German rifle, so decided to try the BLR. I have been very happy with it, I even bullt a split scabbard for horseback hunting and easily goes in my pack for places the riding stock can't get.
If I knew how to post a pic or video I would.Enjoy the day

Last edited by comerade; 03/12/19. Reason: Unfinished
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
i ordered a Browning BLR S.S 30-06 take down i see great advantage on a pack trip. i thought long and hard about a take down rifle and thought well my trap guns are all take downs why not a rifle too ? i decided to order a 30-06 its so popular all over the world and easy to find ammo for too.

Last edited by pete53; 03/12/19.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

Here are a couple of 6 shot groups at 80 yards. Shot with a Marlin 1894. Gun is slightly modified for accuracy and had a 16X scope mounted for load testing. Who says a lever gun will not shoot accurately?

https://i.imgur.com/sanoci8.jpg

Last edited by JBLEDSOE; 03/12/19.
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by pete53
i ordered a Browning BLR S.S 30-06 take down i see great advantage on a pack trip. i thought long and hard about a take down rifle and thought well my trap guns are all take downs why not a rifle too ? i decided to order a 30-06 its so popular all over the world and easy to find ammo for too.

Hi Pete, I think it is a great choice. What Scope are you considering?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

What kind of accuracy are you getting from your 270? I thought about a 450 Marlin for bear protection but got the 358 Win which is a joy to shoot.

Gerry.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've been giving this lever gun thread some thought and thinking back over a lifetime of deer hunting. Of all the deer I've killed, the most memorable have been the first one with a M64 Winchester and a ten point that I walked up on. I've taken bigger deer from a stand, but the experience of just prowling around with a great to carry lever rifle like my M99F .300 Savage adds a lot to my enjoyment of deer hunting. A lever action shoots one shot just as well as anything else at Wisconsin deer range and is a whole lot more ergonomic to carry than any of my bolt actions.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Hi Windfall, I agree, I find I enjoy using mine in the field over any other design. Other types have their limitations too, the lever action is more complicated , and is affected more by wet and cold, imo.
I use it because it is more useful horseback for me, I can carry it in a .270, 45/70 , 300 Win. etc, I can carry if as a takedown, 300 yards is about maximum for me anyways.
Mine are gouged and weathered and not collectors items.
I am in the minority, but prefer them .

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Some more comments:

While I love lever-action rifles (especially older ones) my experience is they're not any faster in repeat fire than a bolt-action, as long as the shooter using a bolt rifle knows how to run one. Pumps can be a LOT faster than either--in fact even faster than semiautos, though again, if the shooter really knows how to run one.

If somebody can tell me exactly what advantages the .444 has over the .45-70 in a lever-action, especially for a handloaders, I could be interested in doing an article on it. So far nobody has.

There's another factor as well: I often end up doing articles on certain rifles due to running across an interesting used rifle--which is exactly how I acquired my ancient .25-35 Winchester 1894, and take-down .33 WCF 1886. So far I haven't run across an interesting used .444. In fact I can't remember ever running across any used .444, which may be related to my above comment.

John the 444 will give you less recoil than a 45-70 when both are loaded to the same velocity with bullets of similar sectional density. I believe so loaded it will also shoot flatter due to a slightly better BC.

So it offer less recoil,shoots flatter and kills big stuff just as dead.What's not to love for a rifle looney.

Last edited by ruraldoc; 03/14/19.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by pete53

Hi Pete, I think it is a great choice. What Scope are you considering?

leupold 6 power x42

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
You guys need a lever gun outlet.....that’s where I go in the “off-season” to get my fix and it’s in the form of NRA lever silhouette. Gives you the chance to use all your lever guns - .22s, pistol cartridges, and high-power centerfires. I use a bunch of different rifles and it’s great practice for hunting season. The sport, at least in western Pennsylvania is growing so maybe there is some hope?!

PennDog

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Hi Penndog. Just saw this... I would attend something like that. I use the .243 BLR for our local club positional shoots, but I am the only levergunner there.
I wear a felt cowboy hat 365 days a year but don't care for the costumes I see in Blackpowder, mounted shooting etc. Many of those shooters are city bred and consider their getup a costume...kinda gets stuck in my craw a little.
Some of us wear this clothing for everyday...for a purpose.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Hi Penndog. Just saw this... I would attend something like that. I use the .243 BLR for our local club positional shoots, but I am the only levergunner there.
I wear a felt cowboy hat 365 days a year but don't care for the costumes I see in Blackpowder, mounted shooting etc. Many of those shooters are city bred and consider their getup a costume...kinda gets stuck in my craw a little.
Some of us wear this clothing for everyday...for a purpose.

I agree - Cowboy action and NRA lever silhouette are two different games...Cowboy action is period specific with dress appropriate - lever silhouette (formerly cowboy silhouette) only requires the lever action rifles (tube feed with no spitzer bullets allowed) - you can dress as you like but no requirements there. I haven’t ever shot the cowboy action stuff - probably fun though?!

PennDog

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (007FJ, 270winchester, 22250rem, 12344mag, 270wsmnutt, 10gaugemag, 47 invisible), 2,155 guests, and 1,159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,238
Posts18,466,745
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.