-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Additional note re OP: *DO NOT USE LOCTITE ON THE CASTLE NUT OR BUFFER TUBE THREADS*

It will *ALWAYS* migrate through the threads into the buffer retainer, and cause severe forking in an upward direction.

GB1

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Mostly Extractors and I always have spare gas rings and a firing pin. I've seen rotten gas tubes also

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by armedferret
Additional note re OP: *DO NOT USE LOCTITE ON THE CASTLE NUT OR BUFFER TUBE THREADS*

It will *ALWAYS* migrate through the threads into the buffer retainer, and cause severe forking in an upward direction.

Interesting. I almost always use Loctite on both, and have never had it migrate to the buffer retainer pin. I'm using Loctite 243 though, not one of the wicking grades, so maybe that's the difference? I also apply it to the male buffer tube threads, not the female receiver threads, so it doesn't get forced towards the retainer pin hole when the buffer tube is installed.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Lotsa barrels.

Hint...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What is "forking"?

Politics is War by Other Means
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Tyrone
What is "forking"?

If you have to ask, you can't afford it.

Hint: If someone were to say "that's forked up" on *THIS* forum, using context clues and what you know about certain deliberately misspelled words, use your critical thinking skills and report back to the class with your conclusions.

Last edited by armedferret; 03/15/19.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Don't tease Trybone...she's doing her BEST. Hint.

LAUGHING!..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Don't tease Trybone...she's doing her BEST. Hint.

LAUGHING!..............

There's a jeopardy meme with that poster's name all over it.

He needs to get it together (grin)

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Your gonna wind up on her Imaginary Pretend Ignore.

Laughing!...............

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by armedferret
Originally Posted by Tyrone
What is "forking"?

If you have to ask, you can't afford it.

Hint: If someone were to say "that's forked up" on *THIS* forum, using context clues and what you know about certain deliberately misspelled words, use your critical thinking skills and report back to the class with your conclusions.

Somehow I thought it was more technical than that! smile

Don't be getting like BS now, using made-up lingo to try to sound like some sort of insider. That's just lame. laugh

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hey Fug Stick, you rich bastard you, did you fly down to the Orange Blossom Regional and win some gold or are you still a loser/poser?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Trybone,

Your raging Estrogen levels are nearly as fhuqking HILARIOUS,as your Stupidity. Nearly. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Bless your heart for trying.

Hint.

Laughing!..............

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Muktuk express is waiting for you stubby/stinky

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Now you can say that you've "seen" a Garrow Hummer...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

[Linked Image]

Bless your Whining heart.

Hint.

LAUGHING!..............

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Maybe some day you'll be able to shoot it.

Too bad you are too poor to buy a plane ticket and pay an entry fee.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
88's and their .545BC at 2800fps ala magfed ASC smooch ain't hardly even "fair"...but now you can at least say you've "seen" one,you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Hint.

[Linked Image]

LAUGHING!.................

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Robert_White
I don't shoot that much. I bought an off the shelf armalite 556 about 20 years ago and it has run flawlessly. This last go round with the bad ejector spring in my 6.8 build project was a wake up to me.

With lots of rough use what is breaking?
I have an older friend who had a bolt break apart in the middle of a fire fight in Vietnam.
What have you guys seen actually break?

Actually, not much. The 5.56 AR-15, M-16 is a pretty well proven, well developed platform. After careers in the Marines and then in law enforcement, I used and maintained quite a few of the rascals. Parts failures, rifle failures, were rare.

Honestly, I've never messed with the other interesting cartridges currently available in the AR-15 rifle.

Semper Fi, Guy

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I have seen more breakage on machine guns then on M16/M4s. Broke an operating rod on a M60 once and those things are thick. M-2 .50 cals went down pretty regularly. It seemed that M249 SAWs broke the easiest, but maybe we abused them the most. Every September, we would get whatever remained on the units ammo account and told to expend it over a 3-4 day period. We were rarely successful due to the sheer amount of ammo, and machinguns breaking down. I think they stopped that during the War in Iraq when .50 cal ammo started to get scarce. We abused the M16/M4s and and I am sure we burned out a few barrels, but really not a lot of breakages on them.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
extractor issues. bolt lugs. doctored on single stage "GI" triggers( NEVER do this)go double/or worse. Thats about all I can recall, but the competition group we shot in for years didn't abuse their guns quite as much as others can/do. And a good chance most of them didn't start with the bottom line guns.

Other thing I"ve seen now, twice, since I saw it this past weekend, pin hole in a hammer not drilled straight which can cause issues.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 2500HD, 1beaver_shooter, 240NMC, 66 invisible), 2,339 guests, and 1,227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,654
Posts18,455,538
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.