-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I tend to select bullets for old-school terminal performance, meaning deep, straight penetration and an exit---at least, that's what "terminal performance" means to me (besides a dead critter). I've been chasing my tail to some extent for quite a while trying to get 60-grain Partitions to shoot well in my ARs, and while the accuracy was probably "good enough," I just haven't been too thrilled with what I was getting out of them. Looking back at my records, it looks like almost all testing was done using H4895 and AR-Comp. I'll freely admit that a good part of my dissatisfaction may have been due to my bench technique. ARs are just a different animal when it comes to shooting off the bench for load development purposes. Because I have other rifles that were always dialed in much better, I'd always use something other than my ARs when hogs were the object of interest.

I started using bipods attached via keymod handguards and I started seeing improvements in my AR shooting, but still my confidence in the Partition was just not there.

A few weeks ago I spotted the 70-grain Accubond, and I wondered to myself why I never thought to try them. Both my ARs have 1/8 LaRue barrels, so I decided I'd try some and bought 200 of them a couple of weeks ago. I had also laid in an 8-pounder of AR-Comp to use for 6.5 Grendel, but shortly after the powder arrived earlier this year I decided to abandon the 6.5G in favor of .243 LBC (I have two of those built, just waiting for my BHW barrels to arrive). As a result, I have all this AR-Comp with no purpose in mind. When I ran QuickLOAD on 70-grain bullets, that powder looked like an awfully good candidate. I put together two batches of trial loads, one batch for each AR.

I went out and shot this morning and it looks like the combination is a winner. I shot the best groups I've ever shot with any AR15. The best loads were between 22.9 grains and 23.2 grains for both rifles. I decided to just go with 23.0 grains of AR-Comp, which gives up about 2800 fps from an 18-inch barrel. I think the load will put plenty of hurt on a hog when hit well.

So after making this decision I began to wonder when I'd be able to score more of those bullets. They have never been real common as far as I can recall, but when I checked SPS this morning there they were, available as blems and at a much better price than I paid for the first batch of 200. I have 600 of them on the way.

It's been a great morning, and it leaves me feeling a bit Irish this afternoon. Happy St. Paddy's day!

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

GB1

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
RR,

Thanks for the heads up.

Just ordered mine, so I have a couple hundred, along with some of the 77gr RDF's on the way.

Lot's of good stuff available right now.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Anytime. I think you'll like em and I'd like to know how well they work for you.

I struggled for so long with 60-grain Partitions that maybe it made me pretty easy to please, but the Accubonds looked to me like they want to shoot from the second or third shot. I'd be interested in how well they shoot for guys who can shoot an AR better than I can...which is probably everybody.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
RR,

The only way I could get either the Partitions or the 64gr BSB to break an inch was with IMR-4895.

I hope to find a good combination with the 70gr AB and a ball powder.

I"ll let you know if I find something that works.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Try the 62 gr Barnes TSX, they've been good for me.

AR-Comp is one of my go-to powders in an AR, along with VV 133-135-540 & XBR-8208 if I'm interested in accuracy.

But that's a great price on the 70 gr AB's so I think I'll try some too.

MM

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I think the 70 Accubond is a fairly recent introduction...( ???) That said it ought to shoot and work just fine on game, providing your twist is tight enough, which it is in most ARs.

If you started with 200 and have 600 on the way, you should be set for awhile.

I too had difficulty getting 60 gr partitions to shoot, and 64 gr BSBs...they both shot "good enough" but not apparently good enough for me. Fine for chest shots on deer, not fine enough for brain shots on pigs.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Ingwe, i had read that the 64 was easier to work with, but both you and AS say otherwise. I had given thought to trying them before I found the 70 Accubond. The Partition about wore me out and I think I'm done with it.

I think the AB will hammer hogs, which is the only thing I intend to go after with an AR but I won't be distraught if a coyote gets in front of one. I've hunted pigs for around seven years and always used a bolt gun, but saw the beauty of having a self-loader when there are bunches of the bastids, which is very common.

My hunting ARs are 1 in 8, which I believe is perfect for the bullet.

I believe it is a very recent introduction. Nosler's site has no further information besides acknowledging its existence. Very little commentary on the web, also. I am happy to report that the bullet shows willingness to shoot, at least relative to the bullets I stuck with so stubbornly for so long.

I'll be watching to see what others say as it gets more exposure. I think it's a winner right out of the gate.

Don't be the darkness.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Good information here, thanks for posting.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
if you have the twist for them, 77 grain SMK.

I know, I know....."it's not a hunting bullet hurr durr". Just try some.

Ballistics gel performance is astonishing for a "not a hunting bullet" bullet.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by armedferret

It's the preferred Terrorist Hunting bullet of a few guy that post here.......

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by armedferret

It's the preferred Terrorist Hunting bullet of a few guy that post here.......

I'm well aware. (grin)

We found many thousands of rounds in an ammo conex we were cleaning out, so they quickly replaced the green tip bullshart you see here.

[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks for the heads up, I picked up a couple of hundred. Might make for decent blacktail bullet in either my AR or Tikka, both are 1-8”.

Charlie

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (1minute, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1234, 1Longbow, 66 invisible), 2,493 guests, and 1,130 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,315
Posts18,468,381
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.