Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Some of those early .338 200g BTs were amazingly accurate....but they were unsuitable for anything bigger than deer. I saw them loose their core on onside cow elk ribs a couple times. Ranges were 350-500yds where velocities should have moderate enough for good performance (this was out of a 338win at about 3000fps). I moved to the 210 partitions and never looked back. I am a fan of accubonds and have been able to get them to shoot well enough in most of the rifles I load for.

GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Hawk Driver,

As far as I can tell, Nosler hasn't changed the construction of the 200 Ballistic Tip/Silvertip since it first appeared. I don't use the .338 as much anymore, but it works great and would be among my top choice. It works great on anything from pronghorn-size to elk-size game.
Have used it both in North America and Africa, and the only one I recovered was from a gemsbok bull taken in 1999 in Namibia. It was quartering toward me at around 150-175 yards, and the bullet broke the near shoulder and spine, and was recovered under the hide of the rump on the opposite side, retaining 60% of its original weight--close to 4 feet of penetration, including substantial bone.

Can't recall whether any of the core remained (still have the bullet in my big tackle box full of recovered bullets, so might check later), but suspect the core was gone. As mentioned earlier, that doesn't matter, as the jacket weighs more than the core in the heavy-jacket Ballistics Tips.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Time frame is correct because my twin boys weren't quite old enough to hunt 14 years old is minimum age here in Saskatchewan. I suspect it was old old production or a bad production run. I tried the ballistic tip because of the good reviews they had and no point deformation. Just my luck lol

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I'd been using the Nosler Solid Base bullets (predecessor to the Ballistic Tip) in the 1980's. When the then-new Ballistic Tips appeared, I have to admit to being less than thrilled. Accuracy was excellent, but they were a little "soft" and tended to expand too fast for my liking.

Well... Things changed.

The 95 grain Ballistic Tip from our 6mm Remington has been outstanding! As has the 115 from my 25-06 Remington.

The 165 Ballistic Tip from either 308 or 30-06 (and I lean pretty hard on the 30-06) has been superb! That same great accuracy. And in the field absolutely no problem with whitetail, pronghorn, mule deer, black bear or elk.

I recovered one jacket from the hide of a very dead black bear. The core had separated and exited the bear. The jacket was stuck in the off-side hide, at the exit wound.

Provided 300 Win Mag ammo to a buddy for his plains game hunt in South Africa. Was a bit surprised on his return when he told me that both he and his PH liked the 180 gr Ballistic Tip ammo better than the 180 gr Partitions! He cited the quick kills as the reason.

In general I've seen superb accuracy, excellent expansion, and more than enough penetration. The Nosler Ballistic Tip has become my favorite hunting bullet, for good reason.

Regards, Guy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks JB!

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
As somebody ( I think JB...) said...if they are now labeled " Hunting" they have been great...Ive had excellent performance and accuracy out of the 95 gr 6mm and the 150 Gr. 7mm

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My 6mm loves the 95 NBT. Critters, not so much.

Killed a pile of deer with the 165 NBT from a 30-06.

Also used the 6.5 120(6.5x55), the .284 140(280AI) and the .257 100(25-06)

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I once found myself on the north slope of the Brooks range with the wrong box of 257Weatherby ammo. I’d grabbed the 85gr Ballistic tips instead of the 100gr X bullets. With nothing else to do I went ahead and shot two big bulls. Both of them died like they were struck by lightning and the wounds showed no signs of blowup. I did recover the jacket on the second bull, under the offside hide after it had broken a shoulder and some ribs on an angling shot. It wasn’t mangled and was peeled back just like an advertisement picture.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’ve killed a couple hundred deer with Nosler BTs. Mostly with the 130 gr version in my 270. In recent years I’ve used the 100 and 120 gr BTs in my 260. I have no complaints about the bullet. I started using BTs in my 270 when the old SBBT was discontinued, and many deer fell to the generation 1 version, which was supposedly less tough than the present version. And, with that gen 1 version, I killed a huge boar hog that weighed just shy of 400 pounds. That soft explosive bullet penetrated through to the hide on the off side, so maybe it wasn’t all that explosive.

I had never seen a hog that big. He looked like a black VW Beetle with tusks, and that was one time that I wondered if I had enough gun.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe
As somebody ( I think JB...) said...if they are now labeled " Hunting" they have been great...Ive had excellent performance and accuracy out of the 95 gr 6mm and the 150 Gr. 7mm

I have high hopes for those, and a couple hundred on tap from SPS. If I can get them to shoot, I'll load up.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
C
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
They also beefed up the jacket on the 165 and 168 .30's considerably.

The 200-grain .338 Ballistic Tip, introduced in the early 1990's, was the first really heavy-jacket model (it's now only made as the Ballistic Silvertip). The jacket is about 2/3 of the bullet's entire weight, so it tends to penetrate more like a Partition, even if it loses the core. Since then a number of other Ballistic Tips have been given similar jackets, including the 165, 168 and 180 .30's, and the 180 8mm.

Some other since-discontinued BT's were also heavy-jacket models, such as the 180 .338, 225 .35, 250 9.3 and 260 .375. But they were all converted to AccuBonds, sometimes very soon after introduction. A couple other Ballistic Tips that have relatively heavy jackets are the 120 and 150 7mm's. The 95-grain 6mm also has a great reputation for penetration.

Dunno about the 150 .270, but do have a friend who's used it on elk with no problems. And in general "hunting" (big game) Ballistic Tips are stouter than the original version introduced in the 1980's. Like many bullet companies, Nosler sometimes tweaks the design of existing bullets to improve performance. This can be done not just by modifying the jacket but changing the hardness of the core.

Thanks John, very helpful as always

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by saskfox
Time frame is correct because my twin boys weren't quite old enough to hunt 14 years old is minimum age here in Saskatchewan. I suspect it was old old production or a bad production run. I tried the ballistic tip because of the good reviews they had and no point deformation. Just my luck lol

Some of the original BTs were the same as the old solid base bullets but with a tip added. These had relatively thin jackets with not much taper. They were the big brother to the Zipedo bullet which was a varmint bullet with a solid base to stand up to the likes of the 220 Swift and to improve accuracy. If you remove the tip you have a very large hollow point so not surprising these would practically explode on impact.

Interesting the BT is usually more accurate than the Accubond. I have heard this about bonded bullets in general being less accurate. JB is this because the flux or bonding agent is less uniform or concentric than a bare swagged core?

I like when there is a BT match for the Accubond for load work up and less demanding uses. Also why do the ABLR seem finicky? Is it just the shape or is something getting distorted when they are being seated? This has always been the situation as I have gotten fair accuracy right from the start sometimes with the ABLR.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
The 150 and 165/168 out of my 308's have been great on deer/pigs. The 95 has been great out of my shorty 243 too.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I called nosler about this deal a few years back.

The person I talked to denied it ever occurred. The " beefing up the 308 180 deal". So I dropped it.

I do not doubt what you are claiming is true, I just figure I talked to some one a nosler that was not aware.

I have purchased a bunch of old stock BTs and they have different packaging.

Is there anyway to tell what year this beefing up occurred, and how one can distinguish them by the packaging.

We're the CT type bullets affected also? Got a bunch of them also, in different packaging.

Thanks in advance!

John

Last edited by Angus1895; 03/20/19.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Angus1895
I called nosler about this deal a few years back.

The person I talked to denied it ever occurred. The " beefing up the 308 180 deal". So I dropped it.

I do not doubt what you are claiming is true, I just figure I talked to some one a nosler that was not aware.

I have purchased a bunch of old stock BTs and they have different packaging.

Is there anyway to tell what year this beefing up occurred, and how one can distinguish them by the packaging.

We're the CT type bullets affected also? Got a bunch of them also, in different packaging.

Thanks in advance!

John

I've actually sectioned the original green and red box BT's from the late 80's and the new BT's there is a huge differance in jacket thickness. This pertains to the 30 caliber 180. I didnt have any other weight of the old ballistic tips to compare, but would imagine the same holds true.
FWIW the old BT' didnt behave any different than a Sierra Game king IMO. The new ones on the other hand are the toughest non bonded cup and core made.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
FWIW I cant say when nosler made the change other than to say I shot a large deer in NE Montana with a 140 BT at 3100fps in the late 90's, 98 IIRC. Impact was at 200 yards with the deer quartering away. The bullet entered in front of the rea leg and was found perfectly mushroomed under between the hide and sternum. The hide actually split, but the bullet was still in place. So clearly they were pretty rough at that point.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
BWalker,

The 140 7mm Ballistic Tip was one that was actually never changed, according to an old friend who worked for Nosler at the time.

In the early 1990's I shot a pronghorn with one from a 7x57, which obviously wouldn't stress the bullet much. But the buck was quartering away, and the bullet hit about 2/3 of the way up the chest, going through about six inches of spine and breaking the far shoulder before exiting. Pronghorns have hard bones, harder than cattle, and though the bones aren't thick have seen bone-shot or angling pronghorns stop some pretty stout bullets, including Partitions and TSX's.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Back in 1995 I shot a buck at about 40 years in the shoulder with a 165 gr bt from a 30-06. Bullet blew up but it knocked the deer down..... thinking the deer was dead I lowered the gun and the deer got up and took off for parts unknown. I didnt use ballistic tips for a long time after that but I started again in about 2013 and have killed a pile of deer with them with no issues except driving one a little too fast on a close shot in a 7-08. The 6mm 90 and 95 gr bt's are TOUGH... the 120's in 7mm are decent but not impervious to circumstances.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What is the reccomended way to cut them open to check em out?

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Don't know about the "recommended way," but I put them in a good-sized bench vise sideways, then rasp and file them down. However, you have to be sure to "cut" them halfway through. If less, the jacket/core relationship isn't accurate.

A friend and fellow gunwriter also melted a few Ballistic Tips in his lead-casting pot, the fished out the jackets to see how much they weighed.

John Steinbeck
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 1lessdog, 160user, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 62 invisible), 2,502 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,344
Posts18,468,746
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.