Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Yesterday, DICK'S had their RUGER 10-22 rifles on sale for $199.00 and I couldn't pass this one up. I've been hearing great things about the 10-22 for many years. The Salesman told me that his shoots FEDERAL 22 ammo best of all. Maybe next weekend I'll have time to try it out.

This scope was mounted to my 12 gauge slug gun for many years and proved to be sturdy while holding its zero despite heavy recoil. I removed the scope and mounted it to my new Ruger. It is a TASCO from the early 1990's featuring 4X and long eye relief.

Anyone else have stories to share about their Ruger 10-22 rifles?

Sherwood

FIRE UP THE GRILL - is NOT catch and release!
BP-B2

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I have a medium heavy barreled one in a wood stock... I like it very much, but have shot it much all the years I have owned it... Mine is very accurate with cci mini mags,

Molon Labe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a story about mine.............I didn't buy it at Dick's.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Not to be critical of you Sherwood, but I'm like NVhntr; I wouldn't buy a stick of gum from that POS retailer. Having said that, I'm glad you got a good deal on a 10/22 and am very confident you will enjoy shooting it. Go out and buy a half dozen different brands of ammo to see if there is one it prefers. Then shoot the living hell out of it. Enjoy!

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I'm mostly with NV hntr and OSU Sig, but I just heard that Dicks is getting out of all guns due to the hit they took when they got out of black guns.
I might be open to "picking the carcass" now that they've failed.
90% no, just on principle, but 10% maybe. Because..... Screw 'em.
Too bad for the employees though. Some positions will get eliminated over this.

Work is what you do to finance your real life.....
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If you want to turn a basic 10/22 into a shooter, send it to Randy at CPC for a full tune up.

www.ct-precision.com

PROS: 10/22s are an interchangeable component design, making it easy to swap out barrels, bolts, stocks, and triggers.

CONS: The natural rifle looney urge/drive to improve accuracy can turn a reasonably accurate $200 rifles into a more accurate, but much more expensive, money pit.

I have several 10/22s, not a single one of which has remained in its original factory configuration as I am driven to tinker.

In a humid climate like Florida I would have bought a stainless 10/22 to reduce the maintenance required to keep blued CM free from rust in that environment.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Everyone should have one.

I'm fancying up a carbine stock right now. Cut off the barrel band portion, added a walnut end cap. Recarved the grip area. When I get it right...I'll strip the remaining finish and tung oil it.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by killerv; 03/18/19.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Congrats on a great buy. I just picked up another 10/22 as well. It's a "Copper Mica" edition that I found on sale for $230. Basically, it's a blued gun in a copper/tan colored Ruger America stock.

But, I've also got tinker-itis. No, not tinkle-itis (my prostate is just fine laugh ). I've already put in a Volquartsen hammer kit, XS peep sight, Kidd firing pin, buffer, extractor and Kidd extended mag release. All before it had even fired its first shot. I just can't leave the things alone, ha.

Have fun with it!

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RyanTX
Congrats on a great buy. I just picked up another 10/22 as well. It's a "Copper Mica" edition that I found on sale for $230. Basically, it's a blued gun in a copper/tan colored Ruger America stock.

But, I've also got tinker-itis. No, not tinkle-itis (my prostate is just fine laugh ). I've already put in a Volquartsen hammer kit, XS peep sight, Kidd firing pin, buffer, extractor and Kidd extended mag release. All before it had even fired its first shot. I just can't leave the things alone, ha.

Have fun with it!

I like the American style modular stocks in black, copper mica, and green too. I have swapped all of my 10/22s with sporter contour barrels into those stocks or the laminated mannlicher style stocks. I've put the high/standard module on mine and have spare low/compact and low/standard modules. If you could use one of the low comb height modules, you can have it for the cost of shipping it to you.

I wouldn't bother to shoot a 10/22 without first upgrading the trigger and installing a synthetic buffer and an under-lever extended magazine release.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Good for you. Everyone should at least try one on for size. I had a Walmart Special for a bit some years back and it was pretty nice, just not exciting, so I let it go in a moment of weakness, no doubt to help finance something else. Now I've got one of the Custom Shop Competition models in the pipe and have high hopes for that on all fronts. As I've noted before, I "built' one in cyberspace with the same features and couldn't beat the street price of the factory model. We shall soon see if it shoots up to the price.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
If you could use one of the low comb height modules, you can have it for the cost of shipping it to you.

I wouldn't bother to shoot a 10/22 without first upgrading the trigger and installing a synthetic buffer and an under-lever extended magazine release.

Thanks for the offer, I'll keep that in mind.

I also highly recommend changing out the firing pin and extractor to a Volquartsen or Kidd. I don't get near as many "duds" or light strikes as with the factory set up. Even the cheap Remington thunderturds fire off more consistently with this change. And, extraction is more reliable. Cheap fix too.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I want to apologize to you Sherwood -

I should have congratulated you on your new rifle, and instead I got off on a Dick's tangent.
I'm glad others here got it right, which reminded me about what I had gotten wrong.

So - congrats on the rifle, and get ready for all those "itches".... to shoot it, to tweak it, to rebarrel it.... etc. 👍

Work is what you do to finance your real life.....
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Well said, kragman1.

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Rifle looks really Nice, Congrats.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Sherwood,

IMO they are very popular for a reason. A 10/22 was my first firearm and it has a manufacturer date of 1968. As time has gone on I have equipped each member of my family with one as well.

I find the extended magazine release to be the worst of the modern upgrades. It will cause more problems than it solves for most practical purposes.

If you find the trigger lacking, it's one of the few semi-autos that allows for an easy fix. Ruger's BX option is affordable and functional.

I would avoid extended capacity magazines. The 10 round factory's work very well.

Congratulations on a fine purchase.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I did not know the politics about DICK'S when I bought the rifle. Too late now.

Sherwood

FIRE UP THE GRILL - is NOT catch and release!
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Like most have said...everyone needs a 10/22....

Have had four I think...the only one left is a 1997/8 Walmart special..stainless with a full length black/gray laminated Intentional stock....and it is still bone stock... They were $250 when first out but a year later Walmart closed them for $149.00 and I bought one as did several of my friends none of whom have sold them... To me it is the best looking 10/22 they ever made...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
My 10/22 experience goes back many years. Lots of fun with all I have and had. I echo an earlier comment about CPC. The full tune up package is well worth the price should you decide to improve your gun. Don’t discount the stock barrel, once worked over mine really shine. Many options out there, have fun with your new rifle!

Rob

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Sherwood
I did not know the politics about DICK'S when I bought the rifle. Too late now.

Sherwood

No worries. It's your money and you should be able to spend it as wisely as you can. You got a good deal on a great shooter. Don't look back.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by deflave
Sherwood,

IMO they are very popular for a reason. A 10/22 was my first firearm and it has a manufacturer date of 1968. As time has gone on I have equipped each member of my family with one as well.

I find the extended magazine release to be the worst of the modern upgrades. It will cause more problems than it solves for most practical purposes.

If you find the trigger lacking, it's one of the few semi-autos that allows for an easy fix. Ruger's BX option is affordable and functional.

I would avoid extended capacity magazines. The 10 round factory's work very well.

Congratulations on a fine purchase.

What don't you like about extended magazine releases?

I don't care the style of extended magazine release that comes with BX triggers, but really like the under-lever style from Bastion and Timber Creek that curl under the trigger guard and look sort of like the under-lever on a Ruger #1.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
445 members (300jimmy, 160user, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 49 invisible), 2,173 guests, and 933 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,595
Posts18,398,070
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.