Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by FatCity67
Hwy 88 and Hwy 4 out of the Valley upto and including 395.

I can feel the slimy stink urbanity fall away the further up into the high country I get.

Fellow Kommiefornians know what Im talking about.

[Linked Image]

yup done that one....also...

there is a lot of beautiful drives in California....

its a wonderful state... its just screwed up by a large number of A Hole Liberals who pollute it...
and illegal aliens...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Route 2 along Michigan's Upper Penninsula. The other would be the old roads we took to get from Youngstown, Ohio to deer camp in Clearfield County, Pa. before I-80 went through. Lots of little towns to pass through, rive crossings, scenic vistas of the Alleghenies. It was always a fun ride. Towns along the way like Clarion, and others.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I don't have a favorite drive, but I do love finding alternative roads away from the interstate in parts of the country I've never driven before. One trip I had a couple of days to get there so I drove a little convertible from New Orleans to St. Louis - passing thru Vicksburg and a bunch of little towns along the way. I'll find a mom-n-pop burger stand , a farmers markets, maybe an old holdover five and dime or a state park. You never know when you'll come up on a curvy road that goes around a lake or a gorge.

I can stretch out a drive.

I have to drive to Detroit 7 or 8 times a year for work. I've stopped taking the interstate, now I pass thru little towns that haven't been ravaged by Wal-Mart. They still have a town square and some areas so rural the road I'm on just has a letter - D route or something like it. I call it windmill country because they have all these giant windmills scattered across the flat land.

Sometimes I'll hit craigslist for cities along the way and see if there is a bargain to be had on something I need as well.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
We live in a beautiful nation... if folks would just get off the interstate...

a lot of still almost long forgotten America still exists...

I take a lot of the old US routes when I travel if I am not up against a time clock...

for example, GopherG mentions old US 2....across the UP of Michigan..

when I was in the service, I did basic and AIT in Oklahoma and then Texas....after that my duty station was Ft Lewis WASH...I went back to New England, got my old Volvo Wagon, and drove up to Maine and picked up old US 2... and drove it across to Rouse's Point NY where it ends at the border with Quebec above Lake Champlain.... drove across Canada to Ottawa... picked up Rt 17 across Ontario to Sioux Ste Marie, crossed into Michigan's UP....picked up US 2 again there... and drove it across Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, North Dakota, Montana, Idaho and Washington State, until it ended in Everett WA....I had 10 days to get to Ft Lewis, so I took Us 2 cross country.... done a lot of old US routes like that.... its even easy a lot of time to follow the old decommissioned US Routes, if you know what to look for...

Florida... I've taken the A1A down the coast as much as possible.. which is old Florida in a lot of places..
I love driving down the old US Hwy down the Keys to Key West....I love seeing the remains of the old Key's Hwy ( US 1)... I remember it as a kid... I started grade school in Key West in 1958, when my dad was part of the Air Force liaison at Key West Naval Air Station back in 58...

In travels, I've driven US 1, from Key West to where it ends in Northern Maine on the Canadian border also..

I've followed old US 20....from here on the coast in Oregon... to where it ends in Boston...
US 30 cross country... US 40, US 50, and US 60... sure there are places decommissioned, so you take the interstate in those parts.. and pick it up when you can and where you can...

US 6 from Provincetown MA on the Cape, to where it ends in California...

done a lot of these routes east to west and then north and south, border to border...

we live in a beautiful nation and a lot of small town Americana is still out there....

folks ought to try and experience it while its still here...

My next planned trip like that is to take US 91 from Arizona to the Canadian border, its on my bucket list for this summer...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Great Ocean Coast Road in Australia. Absolutely stunning! Think California coast line with no people and no buildings from the water to the road. For hundreds of miles.

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
[Linked Image]

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Lots of great suggestions on this thread. And if I wasn't a married man with young kids I'd save it and start checking them off with the motorcycle.

My favorite drive is the 140 mile haul from North East Ohio to my camp in Pennsylvania.

The drive isn't particularly special, but I always feel good making it.

-Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Another good, but short one is crossing the Bay Bridge from Annapolis to Kent Island, especially the return trip at Christmas time when they have the lights up at Sandy Point State Park, which was "the beach" to us growing up in the 50s.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Up my driveway after I’ve been gone for a while........Seriously? The highway 240 loop thru the Badlands of S. Dakota and the drive from Red Lodge thru Yellowstone by way of Beartooth Pass.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Too many to choose from in too many countries, BUT my two least favorite drives are:

1. The drive up Mt. Capulin in New Mexico. Going up to the peak of this old volcano was all in the outside lane with no guard rails. Going down was easy in the lane next to the mountain.

2. The drive south through Red Mountain pass and succeeding passes down to flatter country in western Colorado. Beautiful scenery for passengers, but not the driver.

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Stickfight
The most fun I've had on a motorcycle was on US 129 from NC into TN a little way. 318 curves in 11 miles, many of them nearly 180 degrees.

https://maps.roadtrippers.com/stories/tail-of-the-dragon

Has some good views if you stop to look.

I've watched a documentary on this. It looks fun as hell on a bike!

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by gophergunner
Route 2 along Michigan's Upper Penninsula. The other would be the old roads we took to get from Youngstown, Ohio to deer camp in Clearfield County, Pa. before I-80 went through. Lots of little towns to pass through, rive crossings, scenic vistas of the Alleghenies. It was always a fun ride. Towns along the way like Clarion, and others.

Jeff,

I can agree with this. I worked out in Brookville for a week. I stayed in Clarion and drove a rented Mustang back and forth and around the area after work. Beautiful country!

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rooster7
The most fun I've had on a motorcycle was on US 129 from NC into TN a little way. 318 curves in 11 miles, many of them nearly 180 degrees.

watch some videos on youtube of guys on fully dressed Harleys driving them off the side of a mountain

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by KFWA
Originally Posted by Rooster7

watch some videos on youtube of guys on fully dressed Harleys driving them off the side of a mountain

Yeah I think that happens a lot.

Something clever here.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by crshelton

2. The drive south through Red Mountain pass and succeeding passes down to flatter country in western Colorado. Beautiful scenery for passengers, but not the driver.

I listed the Million Dollar Highway as one of my favorites! I like driving it.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The drive from Canaan valley WV thru Davis and Thomas and Philipi.....on a fall day in an old Porsche 911.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by wabigoon
A highway, or road you enjoy driving?

I like this road.[Linked Image]

I have to say hwy 2 from Seattle to mt. Baker.

Montana.

Driving to whistler.

Driving through Yellowstone.

Yosemite.

N. Cali. Tahoe

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Doesn't matter, as long as it's taking me to the cabin or the dock

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery - Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I95 south with NYC in the review !!! N C 12 from Nags Head to Morehead City in the winter , watch the geese at Bodie Island and Pea Island , take the ferry to Ocracoke the other ferry to Cedar Island an on to Morehead.

there is no man more free than he who has nothing left to lose --unknown--
" If it bleeds we can kill it" Conan The Barbarian
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Some great drives. I like the big red rocks in Utah and 4 corners country; over Deception Pass bridge to Whidbey Island in WA State; Highway 1 from San Simeon to Carmel; Lake Louise north through the Canadian Rockies to Jasper, or south from Golden BC down the Trench to Radium on a sunny Fall day with fresh powder on the mountains on both sides and colors on the leaves; Jackson Hole north to Yellowstone, Going to the Sky in Montana; Blue Ridge in Virginia or Maine coast in Fall.. all good.

Favorite long drive is the 1500 mile loop from Prince George to Prince George via Hazelton, Dease, Watson Lake, Yukon and back to Prince George on the Alaska Highway, with the Liard to Summit Lake section the best of the best. Favorite short drive, impossible to choose but will pick the South rim of Canyon de Chelly in an inch of fresh snow.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

666 members (1eyedmule, 1minute, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 63 invisible), 3,112 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,698
Posts18,456,728
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.