Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I was looking at a vacuum pump to change the brake fluid in my truck. I ran across this video that shows how to do it with just a hose and a pop bottle. Is this actually possible? When you let up on the brake, what keeps it from sucking dirty fluid back through the hose instead of through the brake line? I watched a similar video where he set the bottle on top of the axle. That would make it even easier to suck dirty fluid back in. I'm no mechanic but I've always been taught that you need 2 people if you don't use a vacuum pump.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I’ve bleed beaks like that a lot. I didn’t see any sucked back in that I recall.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I use one of those things that pressurizes the reservoir at the master cylinder.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Been many years since I worked a shop, but then we used a pressurized back bleeder.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wasn't a pop bottle but I have used that method in the past and it worked just fine.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I got Corky The Retard lives across the holler, he helps me bleed brakes and other brain-dead tasks.

He'll rake my whole front yard for a popsicle.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A cinder block leaned on the brake peddle also works, but it's pretty slow. I might try this at the next brake project.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Make your own pressure bleeder with a 1 gallon garden sprayer and a few other parts. Vids on the tube.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by slumlord
I got Corky The Retard lives across the holler, he helps me bleed brakes and other brain-dead tasks.

ok, that made me laugh

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pop bottle works. It is slow with one person.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If only you had a spare KitchenAid mixer.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by FatCity67
Make your own pressure bleeder with a 1 gallon garden sprayer and a few other parts. Vids on the tube.
A vacuum bleeder costs less than the sprayer, unless you have an old one lying around.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
I've bled brakes many times in the past by myself using a hand held vacuum pump attached to a bleeder valve. The last time I tried this method it didn't work because air was leaking around the bleeder valve threads even though I used grease that was supposed to seal the threads. I finally gave up and used the gravity method to bleed the brakes. You just put a transparent plastic line on the bleeder valve, run it to a clear cup, loosen the valve and let the fluid drain. When the fluid is clean and free of bubbles tighten the bleeder valve. Just remember to keep the master cylinder full of brake fluid.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think the Harbor Freight bottle bleeder is like $5 - just a smaller version of the pop bottle above. I never had any luck with it though and ended up buying the vacuum pump. I've used it enough on various things that I've got my money out of it.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by FatCity67
A vacuum bleeder costs less than the sprayer, unless you have an old one lying around.

I like pressure vs vacuum.

Yeah i know there is a good joke in there,

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by slumlord

LOL, is corky willing to hitchhike up here cause I got an entire yard a poop to pick up, then I need someone to throw it at the antifa guys.

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Oh yes I almost forgot I have been bleeding brakes like that for years, going to be doing that today on my sons truck.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Swinging wrenches on vehicles sucks....
But it needs ta be done......
I would rather cut grass....
That's how much wrenching on vehicles sucks to me....

And cutting grass really sucks........

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've done it with a large syringe and some tubing.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
B
BLG Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by victoro
I've bled brakes many times in the past by myself using a hand held vacuum pump attached to a bleeder valve. The last time I tried this method it didn't work because air was leaking around the bleeder valve threads even though I used grease that was supposed to seal the threads. I finally gave up and used the gravity method to bleed the brakes. You just put a transparent plastic line on the bleeder valve, run it to a clear cup, loosen the valve and let the fluid drain. When the fluid is clean and free of bubbles tighten the bleeder valve. Just remember to keep the master cylinder full of brake fluid.

This is the way I do it. Especially with antilock brakes. Crack all 4 and let them bleed. Keep the master cylinder full, and done.

Clyde

The liberal mind is an endless black hole of stupidity.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

123 members (6mmCreedmoor, 1_deuce, 257wthbylover, 300_savage, 5sdad, 2ndwind, 15 invisible), 1,700 guests, and 957 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,511
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.