Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
“come and take [them] classic greek bitches : classic american

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
ps roybob. one thing you should learn about 99 parts is to belly up to the bar if you need it took me a year to get a forearm after letting one pass because i thought i could get one cheaper later. paid double.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
RoyBob Offline OP
OP Offline
deerslayer - I learned my lesson. There was a complete Savage 99 takedown forend, including a 300 Savage barrel, on ebay and I bought it this afternoon. $270.00. I think that is not a bad deal.I may sell the barrel because I want my rifle to be chambered in .250 - 3000. Anyway, my biggest problem is solved. Now I need jsut a few action parts that seem to be available.
Thanks for the advice.

That which does not kill me makes me stronger.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Just so that you know there are different length takedown forearms,and different barrel channels for different barrel contours.Im assuming you are just going to use the takedown assembly and put it in your other forearm. Don

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RoyBob
deerslayer - I learned my lesson. There was a complete Savage 99 takedown forend, including a 300 Savage barrel, on ebay and I bought it this afternoon. $270.00. I think that is not a bad deal.I may sell the barrel because I want my rifle to be chambered in .250 - 3000. Anyway, my biggest problem is solved. Now I need jsut a few action parts that seem to be available.
Thanks for the advice.

...water under the bridge at this point, but,... if you would have posted/pics of "what you have", the folks on this end could inform you what you need. Not all parts are created equal/compatible. Actually, you still can.

Anyway, good luck. A .300 forearm is likely from the the 1920's depending upon s.n. Will that fit a 1915/16 rifle?? Maybe maybe not. There are different style/sizes forearm.

Welcome to the group RoyBob. Look before you leap. grin We've all done it.
On the other hand, you may find the rear half of the 99G/.300 and be in business that way.

"Every day above ground is a good day."
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Southern_WI_Savage

On the other hand, you may find the rear half of the 99G/.300 and be in business that way.

That's how it starts...

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/803305368

LOL
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Roybob, do you have your 250 barrel yet? I might be looking for one soon too. If I look for one I think I’m going for the proper barrel stamps for my 1915. On the other hand I might have a custom 250 barrel made with a 1:9 twist so it will shoot longer bullets. Since most of the parts will not be numbers matching, I might go with some custom wood too. Good luck with your project.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Fireball, just like you I about slammed my keyboard when I discovered someone had bought the forend on Gunbroker out from under me. So you are the guy? I guess I brought it on myself whan I posted this post and got guys looking for a pictures for me. I was going to "buy it now" the next morning and I discovered someone (you) had already bought it. Well, you know what they say, "you snooze you loose." I had told my wife the night before that I should just buy it, but I was trying to save money. I learned something here. Let me know if you ever want to sell it.

I want to thank all of you for the help you have given me. I'm going to build a custom Savage 99 and I'm sure I will have more quesitons as I move along.

Thanks, everyone!

Speaking of snoozing and loosing... I'm still trying to mentally recover from missing a Parker Hale peep sight for a 99 on ebay a few weeks ago. I was in bed and happened to notice it was newly posted on ebay. Being a lazy ass I decided it was too much work to get out of bed to use my laptop to buy it and would do so when I got up. It was already gone when I got up. I was crushed.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've missed a few but anymore I know what I want and what I will pay and if it's there in front of me I just buy it if I can.

They ain't maken um anymo.

LOL
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hey Roybob get ahold of me and I'll get you a takedown latch.

LOL
IC B3

RoyBob Offline OP
OP Offline
Fireball, thanks for your offer for the latch. I don't think I'll be needing it now because I purchased a complete takedown forend with barrel yesterday from ebay. I think that will have everything I need. But if there is a problem with the latch I will get back to you. But thanks for your offer! By the way, did you kill that magnificient blacktail in the picture by your name? That is more than a buck of a lifetime. I've hunted blacktails all of my life. Your buck is a record book head. WOW!

Joe Martin, I'm probably going to buy a Bartlien or a Krieger barrel and have it chambered in .250 - 3000. I'm an accuracy fanatic and I believe in premium barrels. One purpose of my project is seeing just how accurate one can make a Savage 99. I think the .250-3000 is a great cartridge for determining this. It is short and fat and not overbore. All of its powder should be burned before the bullet leaves the barrel - that is an important accuracy factor. I decide which premium barrel to use by looking at what the benchrest folks are currently using. They only buy the proven best barrels. A lot of them are using Bartlein and Krieger cut-rifled barrels. I've used both and they are very good. I'll be making my own stock. Good luck on your project!

I need to find a good gunsmith that can fit and chamber the barrel to my takedown action. I'd also like the barrel made half-octagon. Does anyone know of a good gunsmith who can chamber and fit the takedown barrel?

You folks have been so helpful. Thanks!

Roy Bob

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Good deal Roy Bob.

No to the blacktail in the photo. Robbed it off the internet. We have some hogs here tho and have taken some good ones. Where do you reside? I'm down around Grants Pass, Oregon.

LOL
RoyBob Offline OP
OP Offline
I live in Hayward, which is in the SF bay area. I've lived here all my life. I hunt on a ranch about 20 minutes drive from my home. I'm a dying breed - still hunting deer in the bay area. I was 4 years old when my dad took me hunting on the ranch for the first time and I'll be 64 when deer season starts this year. I know I've been blessed to have this all of my life.

There are hogs here too. They just showed up here about 10 years ago. We see them in big herds on the ranch - sometime 30 at a time. They are very destructive and I wish they'd never showed up. They are like a plague of locust on the countryside. They are fun to hunt, though. We've killed some pretty good boars. Might as well make lemonaide from lemons.

Do you live near where you hunt? Do you hunt on public land or on a private ranch? What kind of rifle do you use? A savage 99?

RoyBob Offline OP
OP Offline
I can't seem to upload pictures to this website. So, I will give you URLs for where you can see pictures.

Here's the URL for where you all can see pictures of theforend I bought:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Savage-99-take-down-barrel-w-forend-300-savage-nice/312522538669?hash=item48c3cb7ead:g:bA8AAOSw4pZchCbe

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/796918418

Any thoughts or comments will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I can't seem to upload pictures to this website. So, I will give you URLs for where you can see pictures.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Savage-99-take-down-barrel-w-forend-300-savage-nice/312522538669?hash=item48c3cb7ead:g:bA8AAOSw4pZchCbe

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/796918418

Any thoughts or comments will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Roy Bob I hunt public land. I get out scouting as much as I can. In fact just got in from it right now. Here's some of the blacktail I have photos of that friends and I have taken here.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

LOL
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Blacktails are in my blood too Roy bob! I bet we'd have some stories to tell each other.

The two on either side of the archery mule deer are my grandfathers from 1924. They were allowed two then. He shot them both in the back of the head when they jumped and ran.

[Linked Image]

LOL
RoyBob Offline OP
OP Offline
You definately have a better gene pool that I do in this part of Calif. The big blacktails in Calif are up north in Mendocino county and in the area west of Mt. Shasta and Mt. Lassen. Your friends haver killed some great blacktails! My best is a big three-pointer with a 25" outside spread. It missed the Boone and Crocket book by a few pointes. I think all of the bucks in your pictures are record book heads. Are these from Jackson Co? I keep hearing that is a good place to go in Oregon.

I like the story about your grandfather. We can kill two bucks per year in this part of Calif. My hunting partner and I hunt on the same ranch every year so we don't kill anything that isn't old and good. We used to kil anything that was legal when I was a kid. I've gotton very picky in my old age. I've killed lots of bucks and don't need to kill another unless it is the top five percentile of the population. It's a limited resource and we are primarily conservationists. This has greatly improved the local herd over the years. I have hunted in the same area all of my life and I never saw a four-pointer until about 20 years ago. Now we see them every year. I've killed three now. My partner killed one two years ago that weighed 145 dressed. That's a very exceptional size for this area.

Well, look what you've done now - you got me talking about blacktails. I'm sure we'd be friends if we lived closer. I'd love to hear your stories!

Those are some nice Savage 99s in the pictures. Do all of you all hunt with Savage 99s? One of them looks to have an english walnut stock. Beautiful! I've just gotton interested in them over the past couple of weeks. I can see why they are still popular. They are neat rifles and they were so ahead of their time. What kind f accuracy do you get from a 99? Can they shoot in the 1 MOA range?

Anyway, take care. I enjoy our correspondance!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Taken to PM with ya Roy Bob.

LOL
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

656 members (1badf350, 1936M71, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 76 invisible), 2,558 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,687
Posts18,456,452
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.