-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've seen some pretty good shops, but nothing really huge. One of my favorites was Doc's in Pocatello. They always had interesting stuff, and Doc Blanchard was (is still??) a hoot. He had a great collection of Winchesters on his walls. It seems he referred to them as his "retirement."

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by 700LH
Since you are familiar with the Idaho st Moon's help me out please - I remember Moon's having a diner counter in the front of the shop, am I remembering correctly?

Yes, long counter with stools IIRC.

When I used to go to Shapel's in the 60s-70s it was just off Fairview and was located behind his house if I recall correctly. I was in Boise in the late 90's and went to Shapel's, it was in the same general area but it was in a newer larger building then the old shop. Was that when his son was running it or was someone else running it under the Shapel name?

A block north of Fairview on Liberty,, It was still Shapels, IIRC son's name was Mark.

Not sure about sporting goods downtown on Main, but there was a couple of pawn shops there. I bought a nice Winchester 94 made the year I was born from one of them.

Thanks, glad for the info on Moon's and Shapel's. That is the way I recall Moon's, glad for the verification.

I don't remember any pawn shops on Main but I do remember the Whites boot dealer on the corner of Main and 9th - I think. Sort of catty-corner from the Idanha Hotel. Bought my first pair of Whites there.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Mid South Guns in Wagram, NC.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by moosemike
Best I ever seen was Ledford's Trading Post in Hickory NC. It seemed like you could get ammo for literally anything there. A lot of it was really old stuff too. I especially miss them since I couldn't find .38-40 anywhere around here yesterday.

Yep, Ledford’s is the best. Nice, knowledgeable folks. No polymer guns in sight either. Vintage stuff only. Kind of like an antique gun show, but in a store. They also carry everything under the sun for black power guns.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by william_iorg
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
If someone is in the West, look up Ron Peterson's in Albuquerque. He's on Central.

ALWAYS an interesting stop at Ron Peterson's..

Way Back we used to hit El Rancho on North 4th.
Canyon Gun Shop in Tijeras Canyon
And Sandia Cartridge in the canyon

Do you remember H. Cook on Central?

I almost always find something I want at Ron Peterson's. I manage to resist about 60% of the time.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

S
S
I saw that UPhiker mentioned Michi-Gun in St. Clair Shores, Michigan. I have been there on a few occasions. The people there were very helpful and knowledgeable.
They carry a great selection of sporting guns that any sportsman would be proud to own. From modern long range hunting rifles to gorgeous over and under shotguns along with a large inventory of handguns, there is always something to drool over in that place.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by stxhunter
kittery trading post, kittery maine ...

The one time I was there I saw more used Savage 99s than I'd ever seen in a single place. Some of them really old.

All things are always on the move simultaneously. - W.S. Churchill
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
In Western NY, there is John Henrich Company, Inc. More of a gunsmith. not a large store, but has a a handful of pretty double barrels. Seems to focus more on your typical wood stocks and blue guns. Does some very good work.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery - Thomas Jefferson
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1337Fungi, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1Longbow, 57 invisible), 2,256 guests, and 1,156 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,327
Posts18,468,523
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.