Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Good morning. My question basically boils down to whether having your bolt timed / TIG welded has any effect on accuracy potential, or does it just fix extraction problems. I am going to have a Rem 700 trued by LRI gunsmithing and the Tier 1 price is $175.00. To have your bolt timed / TIG welded raises the price to $290.00.

If I understand correctly, bolt timing does not affect accuracy, it just fixes extraction problems. I am thinking that I am going to get the Tier 1 job and if I run into extraction problems later on, I'll deal with them then, unless bolt timing does play a role in accuracy potential. Any info would be appreciated.

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Can't answer your question but since the cost is not that high I would go ahead and do the TIG weld and timing. This eliminates any concerns of the bolt handle strength which some consider a serious flaw of the 700 action. If altered very much after chambering it can throw the head spacing off to the point the barrel would need to be set back and re-chambered. This only in a severe case.

My inclination is that timing would have to be off to the point that the bolt was trying to open or torq when firing for it to throw accuracy off but not sure of this.

For the welded price you are also getting close to the cost of a custom one piece bolt which can cure both problems and provide better tolerances. But then at some point a custom action is actually more cost effective.

I have just been squaring the receiver face off and running them stock otherwise. A couple had sort of a dimple around the firing pin hole and these got the bolt face squared off. The bolt lugs were polished and only faced off if less than 50% contact was occurring after the polish cycling. I know some gunsmiths will take offense at this practice but works for my purposes which is hunting at reasonable ranges.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
As I mentioned on the other forum. Too much money. Have the best do it for $50 including priority mail insured to time and microtig.. Dan Armstrong- www.accu-tig.com

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Tejano
Can't answer your question but since the cost is not that high I would go ahead and do the TIG weld and timing. This eliminates any concerns of the bolt handle strength which some consider a serious flaw of the 700 action. If altered very much after chambering it can throw the head spacing off to the point the barrel would need to be set back and re-chambered. This only in a severe case.

My inclination is that timing would have to be off to the point that the bolt was trying to open or torq when firing for it to throw accuracy off but not sure of this.

For the welded price you are also getting close to the cost of a custom one piece bolt which can cure both problems and provide better tolerances. But then at some point a custom action is actually more cost effective.

I have just been squaring the receiver face off and running them stock otherwise. A couple had sort of a dimple around the firing pin hole and these got the bolt face squared off. The bolt lugs were polished and only faced off if less than 50% contact was occurring after the polish cycling. I know some gunsmiths will take offense at this practice but works for my purposes which is hunting at reasonable ranges.

Do it right or not at all.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
jackhammer,

If you're not having noticeable extraction, cocking or bolt-lift problems, then the timing is OK, whether before or after you have the handle cinched down.

In my experience, real bolt-timing problems are pretty unusual.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There's a whole lot of 700's that don't need either printing or timing to shoot well. Most just need a good barrel

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by 10at6
There's a whole lot of 700's that don't need either printing or timing to shoot well. Most just need a good barrel

Has nothing to do with accuracy, only extraction, and the bolt handle will not fall off.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Has a Remington 700 bolt handle ever “fallen off” ?

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Timbermaster
Has a Remington 700 bolt handle ever “fallen off” ?

Yep, just not that often, as JB noted. But, it's 100% if it happens to you.

Butch’s recommendation is a sure fix for a rare but possible problem.

Also, ask Dan about bolt timing. He's good at that, too.

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 03/18/19.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1234, 61 invisible), 2,379 guests, and 1,165 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,320
Posts18,468,439
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.