R
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by koshkin
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
I have made that suggestion to SWFA, so I know it has been brought up.

I do not know if that will go anywhere. If I hear anything back, I'll let you know.

SWFA is not a big company, so they are growing their house brand slowly and carefully. They are, however, definitely growing it. I know about a few things they have in the works and I like the way they are going with them.

One step at a time though.

ILya

I wish they had better SFP reticles. a SFP version of the 3-9 would be really nice, although the FFP version isn't terrible, I just don't think it need to be FFP for what it is. the 3-15 models, I don't like any of the reticles in those.

There are wow a few good SFP 3-9x scopes out there. I think FFP is one of the reasons to go with the SS scope.

Their Ultralight is SFP, but that is a more specialized design.

Ilya

If they could blow up that ultralight design to a standard 40 or 42 mm with better eye relief basically that would be cool.

Last edited by renegade50; 03/16/19.
BP-B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
I’ve also owned several, and none have had parallax issues. I think maybe horse just looked through a bad sample, or something.

I see the same exaggerated parallax in every Burris/Pentax and Nikon 3-9 no matter what generation.

Last edited by horse1; 03/16/19.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have five SWFA 3-9s, and have been around a couple more. Have not noticed parallax issues with any of the bunch.

A hunting version of the 3-9 should have a low profile capped windage adjustment, zero stop on the elevation, and 3.75” of eye relief on 9x. Keep the reticle and adjustments as is.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by horse1
I’ve also owned several, and none have had parallax issues. I think maybe horse just looked through a bad sample, or something.

I see the same exaggerated parallax in every Burris/Pentax and Nikon 3-9 no matter what generation.

Wonder if your vision is particular sensitive, as I haven’t noticed excessive parallax issues with Burris or Nikon 3-9s.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Wish they’d do that.

Originally Posted by prairie_goat
I have five SWFA 3-9s, and have been around a couple more. Have not noticed parallax issues with any of the bunch.

A hunting version of the 3-9 should have a low profile capped windage adjustment, zero stop on the elevation, and 3.75” of eye relief on 9x. Keep the reticle and adjustments as is.

Last edited by SLM; 03/17/19.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SLM
Wish they’do that.

Me too. Make a good scope damned near perfect for me.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by horse1

Wonder if your vision is particular sensitive, as I haven’t noticed excessive parallax issues with Burris or Nikon 3-9s.

I do have a fair amount of astigmatism but I'm corrected to 20/20 all the time and I'm 20/15 in bright indoor light or pretty much anywhere outside even on dreary days.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I think they would sell a pile of those.

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
If they made basically a larger version of the 1-4 in a 2.5-10x42mm or 32mm, that would be interesting for a hunting scope. Mil Quad reticle, FFP, possibly illuminated. Having SWFA basically make a version of what all other companies make (3-9x42 with low pro capped turrets, 1” tube, duplex, etc) isn’t as intriguing, IMHO.

Ben

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I could get behind that.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I think if they were going to offer that, they would have already. I wouldn't get my hopes up.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by SKane

I could get behind that.

Ditto

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I'd like that too! Then again, putting a larger objective on the 1-6 would make for a pretty good hunting scope as well. I'd even be fine with saving a few bucks by not having the mag range being smaller.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Definatley a desire out their for something from them other than the ultralight teaser they came out with for alot of people.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If they get too much going on, then they become like everybody else. Right now, they stick with a few scopes that are good quality at the right price. Every bell and whistle can add on money and then it takes away some of their value. They cannot be beaten for the dollars spent. I would not mind a little heavier reticle, but I do just fine with it the way it is, too. My fixed scopes do everything that I need of them.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by sbhooper
If they get too much going on, then they become like everybody else. Right now, they stick with a few scopes that are good quality at the right price. Every bell and whistle can add on money and then it takes away some of their value. They cannot be beaten for the dollars spent. I would not mind a little heavier reticle, but I do just fine with it the way it is, too. My fixed scopes do everything that I need of them.

I think this is spot on.

I own two 3-9x42 SS scopes. One is an early Mil-Dot model from the very first batch (SN 006) and one from a regular production run later on with Mil-Quad reticle.

For general purpose use, I prefer the Mil-Quad, but both work.

If I were to make changes to this scope (and I am not at all convinced SWFA should or will; this is just what I would want), I would do the following:
-Cover the turrets, so that they are lower profile or cover the windage turret and add zero-stop to the elevation turret
-Add illumination for low light use at low power (center dot only)
-Add a couple of wind holds to the Mil-Quad reticle to make for a very small and unobtrusive tree.

That would make it just about perfect for my purposes.

The basic problem with this is that a 3-9x42 scope is not fashionable right now since so many designs have moved to higher erector ratios. No matter how good the 3-9x42 SS is, marketing it to the general populace is kinda tricky.

The way it is right now, it can soldier on for quite a long time. However, whether it is worthwhile to invest more in it, is not clear to me.

From a business standpoint, the 3-15x42 SS is a better platform to invest into simply because of the configuration. If they make the same changes to that scope as I list above, I would be absolutely overjoyed.

ILya

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
The 3-15 is neat in that you can adjust the parallax down to 6 m (~20 ft). Great for indoor dry-fire practice. But the 3-9 is a bit lighter, has lower knobs and is usually what I prefer for a hunting scope with the capability to dial in shots out to greater distances. Both are fantastic values in FFP scopes.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

If I were to make changes to this scope (and I am not at all convinced SWFA should or will; this is just what I would want), I would do the following:
-Cover the turrets, so that they are lower profile or cover the windage turret and add zero-stop to the elevation turret
-Add a couple of wind holds to the Mil-Quad reticle to make for a very small and unobtrusive tree.
From a business standpoint, the 3-15x42 SS is a better platform to invest into simply because of the configuration. If they make the same changes to that scope as I list above, I would be absolutely overjoyed.

ILya

This for me too, except thicken the reticle a bit and forget the "tree".

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by sbhooper

I think this is spot on.

I own two 3-9x42 SS scopes. One is an early Mil-Dot model from the very first batch (SN 006) and one from a regular production run later on with Mil-Quad reticle.

For general purpose use, I prefer the Mil-Quad, but both work.

That would make it just about perfect for my purposes.

The basic problem with this is that a 3-9x42 scope is not fashionable right now since so many designs have moved to higher erector ratios. No matter how good the 3-9x42 SS is, marketing it to the general populace is kinda tricky.

The way it is right now, it can soldier on for quite a long time. However, whether it is worthwhile to invest more in it, is not clear to me.

ILya

Excellent points, Ilya. In fact, if they just added a ZS to the elevation, put in illumination, and bumped the glass/turrets up to the HD line, I’d buy one today if it was priced right!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I’m another that doesn’t care for the parallax in the 3-9 at distance. At 300+ yds it’s definitely noticeable to me (have had 3 examples).

At least set the parallax at 300yds vs 100yds!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
84 members (308ld, 338reddog, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 9 invisible), 1,559 guests, and 766 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,761
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.