Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
jorgeI Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Well, I finally got around to sending my Sharps to Shiloh for the much vaunted seven degree lead cut to the chamber. This hopefully will mitigate the need to wife after every FUGGING shot using PP bullets and every third shot with greasers and spotty accuracy. We'll see.

I have a bunch of bullets loaded by the likes of Sharpsguy and FlyboyFlem to eliminate any issue with my ineptness to load those cantankerous bullets (even though I've been loading greasers for a long time in my 45/60 that is UNCANNILY accurate).. My plan is to shoot it this weekend at 100 yards, so hopefully you will see either some great target pictures or said rifle wrapped around a telephone pole (can you tell I'm FRUSTRATED????)

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Jorge, I have 2 Shiloh 45-70's both have 7 degree leade, they work for me. I only shoot ppb's in my Shilohs. No dry load with paper patch will work without wiping every shot. I load all mine with a lube wad and use a blow tube. in a hurry for a 2nd shot just blow down the breech into the barrel it will hydrate the fouling in the chamber good enough to seat the 2nd round. I use the same load for hunting as I shoot at LR. When the humidity is high I use a blow tube, when it's low and dry I wipe 2 moist patches and a dry. It works for me. Because I don't shoot greasers in my Shilohs I only full length resize the first time to fireform to my chamber, so it hardly ever grows. Inside gets a VLD chamfer, outside a normal one. After you've gone thru your loading procedure use the Lyman taper crimper to hold your ppb. ????? ask I will aid you as much as I can from 1500 miles away.

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
jorgeI Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Thank you. I too use a card/lube cookie/card/bullet then taper crimp with the Lyman die. Woody (Flyboy Flem) as well as Sharpsguy, have no issues in shooting multiple loads without wiping with the 7 deg lead. Here in Florida where the humidity SUCKS, I blow after every shot as well. About the only bullet that I could shoot prior to the cut, was the 485gr Parker Hale (which I used on a one shot kill on a bison years ago). I am hopeful that with the expertly loaded bullets by the aforementioned gents, the rifle will shoot. J

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
JorgeI ,your in good hands with those guys Woody only lives a 2-300 miles away but we haven't met yet and I've known Bill for years. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
jorgeI Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Both are very good friends of mine as well. When ET gifted me my 110 as a retirement gift, I spent a couple of days at Bill’s place and he taught me the ropes . In no time he had me banging away at the 500 yard ram!

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Great news Jorge, I have a feeling the stars will align and steel will ring !

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
jorgeI Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Well, the next hair fire is i can't find any new 110 brass anywhere...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I haven't seen any available for over a year...2-7/8 shooters must be few and far between these days the same scenario we faced with 405 Win brass...Speaks volumes for the 45-90 especially if a person wants something bigger than a 45-70 .

Woody
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Woody
jorgeI Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
great, just great. Should have re-barreled the damned thing when it was up at Shiloh. I should have enough on hand to play with it I guess.

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Pick up the phone either Shiloh or Huntington Die Specialties should have Norma 2.9" in stock. MB

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Well, the next hair fire is i can't find any new 110 brass anywhere...

Huntingtons just had it on sale, Track of the Wolf has some sort of 2 7/8 brass, and a couple of weeks back Kirk said he had it in stock. Cabela's has it listed as available not long ago.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
jorgeI Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I'll check Huntingdon's thank you. Tracks is 45-100/ Huntingdon's is not showing it.

Last edited by jorgeI; 03/21/19.

jorgeI Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
nobody has it

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I just had Buffalo Arms Company make me some. They reformed Starline 2.6 brass into 2 7/8 (45-110). Hope this helps somebody! Russ

NRA Benefactor Member

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 16penny, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 59 invisible), 2,228 guests, and 1,152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,205
Posts18,466,108
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.