Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Doing some research... Seems the 90 grain smk was faulty, and some controversy at JP?
I am still super intrigued.
What is the velocity gain on a 75 grain would you guess over the 556?
Anybody way down in the weeds with this yet?

Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven.
ARIC

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Faulty how? I do know the 1/7 twist was not conducive to good accuracy with the 90 grain rounds, or maybe there is another reason apart from twist, but that seemed to be the consensus of others, too.

My PSA upper shot sub-moa with the cheap 75 grain rounds from Eagle/Federal. I did pick up a 1/6.5 twisted barrel for it but haven't installed it yet. My roll has slowed due to rotator cuff operation. I hope to be shooting by the first of May, though.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I can't copy paste links with this tablet...
Federal ammo factory dude on u tube explained the faulty 90 trainers.
And a lot of barrels got cut with bad reamers

Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Seems some company made a bunch of out of spec carbide reamers and sent those reamers to the big production barrel makers. They didn't figure it out until mid summer. Now everyone is trying to get barrels made to the correct spec so they will shoot the ELD and SMK. New 83gr Bergers and 90gr SMKs are coming.

The barrels with the out of spec long freebore tend to shoot the 75tmj and 60gr better than the barrels cut with the SAAMI freebore but shoot the VLDs worse because of the long jump.

Last edited by Terminal223; 03/28/19.

Ones post count on a forum has no correlation to level of knowledge on a particular subject.

eng-tips
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Terminal223
Seems some company made a bunch of out of spec carbide reamers and sent those reamers to the big production barrel makers. They didn't figure it out until mid summer. Now everyone is trying to get barrels made to the correct spec so they will shoot the ELD and SMK. New 83gr Bergers and 90gr SMKs are coming.

The barrels with the out of spec long freebore tend to shoot the 75tmj and 60gr better than the barrels cut with the SAAMI freebore but shoot the VLDs worse because of the long jump.

75 grrainers at high velocity interest me very much.

Last edited by Robert_White; 03/28/19.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
224 Valkyrie looks like a decent launchpad for the Hornady 88's.

It isn't energy that kills, its holes.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Robert_White
Originally Posted by Terminal223

75 grrainers at high velocity interest me very much.

Last fall I bought a 1:7 twisted Valkyrie upper from PSA that shoots quite good with the 75 grainers from Eagle.

Most thought the issue with getting the Valk to shoot heavier bullets well was due to the twist, and it still may be that, too. Not sure if my Valkerie was among those using a bad reamer, as I have not shot heavier or longer bullets from it yet.

So, recently, and when I saw it first offered, I also bought a new Valkyrie barrel and bolt carrier group from them that is twisted 1:6.5, rather than the 1:7 my upper is twisted.

I haven't gotten around to installing it yet and not sure if I'll swap out the 1:7 or leave it be and pick on an extra 5.56 AR.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Please keep informed as it plays out.
I am wondering why there isn't more wild enthusiasm for this cartridge.
When money allows I am going to jump in.

L
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
L
I like mine. 22'' Wilson 7 twist barrel, JP bolt ,Jewell trigger.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by lapua6547; 03/31/19.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
because it doesn't really do anything. They shortened the 6.8 SPC case to make it. which if you do that its got very very little extra powder space over a 223 even when its not shortened. The bullets are slow and will only show a benefit at extreme ranges. Most people aren't able to really shoot at these distances because they don't have access to public lands. Also in reality most people don't shoot that much anyways. its just a cool name attached to a cartridge. The focus should be on developing a case for the Ar 15 that holds 40 or more grains of powder. YES I know its been done, but nothing with plug and play parts that are easily obtained. That will be when you actually see a difference in performance. I hear the PRS crowd using the 6mm dasher quite a bit these days. I would like to see that case put into an AR 15 with plug and play parts.

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Does anyone know the actual fps increase/comparison for the 75 and 77 grain bullets?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Does anyone know the actual fps increase/comparison for the 75 and 77 grain bullets?

Hornady shows the 223 75 grain at 2790, the Superformance at 2930. The Valkyrie at 3000 with the 75 gr Hpbt.

It isn't energy that kills, its holes.
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I'm getting the revelation.
You gotta fling 90s past 500 yards to really make it worthwhile.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I'm getting the revelation.
You gotta fling 90s past 500 yards to really make it worthwhile.

80 to 90 is where it is at I believe.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
My son in law has one, he likes it. I don’t shoot far enough to make it worthwhile.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
There is not that much of a velocity gain over the 5.56, I have an AR with a 24 inch barrel that achieves over 3000 fps with the 70 gr Nosler RDF, besides that can you go to any place where people shoot and find 224 Valkyrie on the ground to take home.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
How does the Valkyrie compare to a 223 AI in real world shooting?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Pass the 224 Grendel and 88 ELD magfed Smooches and hold the Fluff.

[Linked Image]

Hint...……………………….

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Pass the 224 Grendel and 88 ELD magfed Smooches and hold the Fluff.

[Linked Image]

Hint...……………………….

What you think of those Anderson lowers?

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
239 members (300_savage, 1minute, 204guy, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 280shooter, 38 invisible), 2,200 guests, and 957 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,641
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.