Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
How much work has to be done to a Echols Shrike stock for a standard 700 action and magnum contour barrel?

BP-B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
The stock D’Arcy sent me was a drop-in. I didn’t keep it. Told him I didn’t want it because it had a cheek weld. He figured I’d change my mind. I sent it back. He still owes me “a stack of new dimes”. That was the bet.

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Do they come
-painted or unfinished
-recoil pad installed
-sling studs installed?

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Mine was completely finished, ready for use. But, it came from D’Arcy Echols, not McMillan.

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by PINEKNOT
Do they come
-painted or unfinished
-recoil pad installed
-sling studs installed?

Give D'Arcy a call and order it the way you want it, just like you would with Mcmillan. Only you difference is you have to order from from him.
He doesn't usually keep any in stock, all special order.

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The way I get them is unfinished, full length and unpainted. I believe the stock D’Arcy shows on his site is unfinished for that money. I’d bet it’s double in cost for him to do all of the finishing, painting and adding a recoil pad. I’ve had mine sent to Kevin Weaver to be finished and bedded and they’ve came out pretty well so far.

Semper Fi
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
He will custom order the stock inlet to fit your barrel contour. I'm pretty sure he can order them finished, painted, with pad, etc. from McMillan-- just give him a call. I've done three and all started out unfinished, I did the rest of the work myself.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I would also advocate calling Mr. Echols if you have questions. He is very personable and down to earth, on top of being very knowledgeable about his craft.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Reloder28
The stock D’Arcy sent me was a drop-in. I didn’t keep it. Told him I didn’t want it because it had a cheek weld. He figured I’d change my mind. I sent it back. He still owes me “a stack of new dimes”. That was the bet.

What is a cheek weld?

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Both my Shrike and Legend were unfinished, uncut needing a pad, needed bedding. Love both of them.

Shrike Rem 700 in 6.5x57 BR

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Legend Pre 64 M70 in 9.3x62

[Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am fighting the urge to order an Edge Shrike for my old M722 40X 22LR single shot! grin At present it is being set up in a silhouette stock.

Would make a nice rifle that any self-respecting gopher would be proud to be shot with.

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
That's one hell of a good looking rig, GSSP. Well done.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by pathfinder76

What is a cheek weld?

Cheek piece, cheek weld. What else do you call it?

O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
Cheek piece, cheek weld. What else do you call it?

The cheekpiece is part of the stock. Cheek weld is how your cheek rides on the stock--how hard it mashes on there, whether a bunch of your cheek moves up toward your eye socket, etc. A consistent cheek weld is one of the keys of hitting stuff regularly and shooting small groups. You probably do it that way already without knowing the name for it.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
GSSP very nice rifles and what a beautiful range although I bet it gets flukey wind currents on occasion. What are the differences in the Shrike and legend? From the photos it looks like most of the differences are in the fore end.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
One’s for the 700; the other the 70.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Thanks, the Shrike looks trimmer to me but may be the photos. The Legend looks like it is made as an express rifle to my eyes, better suited to 300 mag. and larger calibers.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Tejano
GSSP very nice rifles and what a beautiful range although I bet it gets flukey wind currents on occasion. What are the differences in the Shrike and legend? From the photos it looks like most of the differences are in the fore end.

The Hobble Creek is at the mouth of Hobble Creek canyon, Springville, Utah. It does have a down canyon wind about 330 mornings per year. Which settle down and flow "up" canyon the remainder of the day. Storms are another thing....

The Shrike and Legend are the same stock, it's just that the Shrike is cut for the Rem 700 and the Legend is for the Pre 64 M70 footprint. The stock can be strengthend for magnum caliber, ie heavy fill or maybe cross bolts.

Alan

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
The good news for left handers is that a Left Hand Legend actually has appreciable LH Cast. Very easy to get behind a scope and get a good sight picture. Wish there was enough demand to cover startup cost for a Left Hand Shrike...

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I asked D'Arcy to clarify the differences between the Shrike and the Legend, here is his response:

The cross-sectional width, depth and shape of the Shrike forend ahead of the receiver is vitally identical to the Legend. The grip is smaller in circumference due to the tang angle, contour and shape as predicated by the 700 or most similar clone receivers. The butt section, drop, cast off, etc is also "almost identical" to the Legend. It's not for everybody and like the Legend doesn’t try to be.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
690 members (12344mag, 160user, 12308300, 17CalFan, 16Racing, 1234, 66 invisible), 2,689 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,620
Posts18,398,530
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.