Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Ha!

Am not surprised he gets more respect, after shooting jackrabbits with a .460 Weatherby....

You could shoot prairie dogs with your .416 Rigby. Seems about relative. I'd respect that!

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by GunDoc7
Ha!

Am not surprised he gets more respect, after shooting jackrabbits with a .460 Weatherby....

You could shoot prairie dogs with your .416 Rigby. Seems about relative. I'd respect that!

For those of us that shoot prairie puppies.....usually it's a lot of shooting.....typically several hundred rounds per day.....Not too many folks have the pocketbook for using a 416 Rigby that way.....let alone the shoulder hammering.....

I once tried long range prairie dog shooting with a .300 Win Mag.......never again!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
6.5x284
6.5 mag
6.5 prc
Are almost the same,
and a hot Sweed isn't far behind.

Would a 6.5-06 be a good cartridge.

Oh yeah.

But does it bring anything to the table?
Not really.

Lately, we have been smothered in similar releases.

But then, if one was follow that path to its conclusion,
You might say 1923 brought us the last significant cartridge.
Or the 222.
Maybe the 7mag.

Really, there hasn't been much new since the 7.
Just different ways to throw the same stone.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I turned my first deer rifle (30/06 Ruger 77) into a 6.5/06 somewhere around 2002. The old barrel was pretty much shot the fugg out.

All things being equal, I wish it was a 30/06 again.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Ha!

Yeah, he’s really hard on those poor ole jackwabbits.

DF

grin

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by vapodog
Originally Posted by GunDoc7
Ha!

For those of us that shoot prairie puppies.....usually it's a lot of shooting.....typically several hundred rounds per day.....Not too many folks have the pocketbook for using a 416 Rigby that way.....let alone the shoulder hammering.....

I once tried long range prairie dog shooting with a .300 Win Mag.......never again!

Now if you was a hoss, like Gunner500, you may have shot out your .416 Rigby, got it rebored to .505 Gibbs.

But that boy’s one of a kind. laugh

DF

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
It wasn't that many years ago when reading a forum like this I would run out and get a 6.5-06 put together, develop loads for it, then hang it on the shelve with several dozen just like it. The 6.5-06 is a darn good looking cartridge but it doesn't do anything others don't unless you happen to be a ballistician trying to check off a box of perfection, but hey it's a sickness you know, so I think I will get going on one anyway!

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
If they marketed it as a 6.5-06 “creedmore” it would be a hit. 😀

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
With the hysteria that seems to have developed over the terrible disadvantages posed by long cartridges and their accompanying long actions, it seems doubtful.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
The 6.5-06 has something the others don't.....a very large pile of 270 and .30-06 brass sitting in buckets all over the country.....that's an advantage that is hard to ignore.....and just might be the reason no one makes ammo for it.....it won't sell well with all the "free" brass out there.

But let's be practical....what do we get from a 6.5-06 (regardless of twist) that we don't get from a .25-06 or even the venerable old.270?....and I mean advantages that the "run of the mill" hunter can actually make use of!

yea, yea, yea.....I know.....since when did practicality have anything to do with it? I have used the 6.5 X 55, the .260 Rem, and the .264 Win Mag.....and frankly haven't seen any real advantage one over the other in the field.

I have to hand it to Hornady.....seems their marketing folks could sell ice cubes to eskimos!

Well said.

It's exactly what some of those who don't guffaw over the Creedmoor have stated; most hunters or shooters wont and can't use it to any greater advantage than a 25/06 or 270 and going to lighter bullets for less recoil isn't going to make two bits worth under the ranges most are comfortable with.

In one anecdote the 6.5-06 will best the 6.5 Creedmoor for velocity with the same bullets at similar recoil levels, but in another it hasn't been introduced commercially because it offers little over available cartridges. Pretty convoluted.

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

John/MuleDeer

Now, Hornady has lots of data for the 6.5 PRC. Would you be comfortable using Hornady’s starting loads as a beginning point for 6.5-06 load development?

Thanks

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Not really, for two reasons:

There's a considerable difference between Hornady's 6.5 PRC data and Hodgdon's new PSI data for the 6.5-06.

Plus, Hodgdon has plenty of 6.5-06 data, so why bother?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
I built quite a few 6.5/06 rifles in the early eighties and most used 9 inch twist since I mostly used Shilen barrels at the time and they didn't make an eight. I built some using 8 twist barrels from other makers and always felt that they were a little more consistent . The 8 twist became my "go to" twist for the 6.5/06 and all other 6.5's. The 6.5/06 would comfortably push 140's to just over 2900 fps. Guys who achieved over 3000 fps had to replace brass fairly often when primer pockets loosened. My 256 Newton might manage 2900, given the right powder, but 2850 is more like it; about 100 fps over my 6.5x55. GD

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by greydog
I built quite a few 6.5/06 rifles in the early eighties and most used 9 inch twist since I mostly used Shilen barrels at the time and they didn't make an eight. I built some using 8 twist barrels from other makers and always felt that they were a little more consistent . The 8 twist became my "go to" twist for the 6.5/06 and all other 6.5's. The 6.5/06 would comfortably push 140's to just over 2900 fps. Guys who achieved over 3000 fps had to replace brass fairly often when primer pockets loosened. My 256 Newton might manage 2900, given the right powder, but 2850 is more like it; about 100 fps over my 6.5x55. GD

6.5-284 is about a ballistic clone to the 6.5-06. I get a solid 3K fps velocity with 140 VLD Hunting over 48.8 gr. RL-17 and with great accuracy. Exceeding that charge, groups start to open, still with no pressure signs until exceeding 3,100+ fps.

As they say, when you actually do see pressure signs with RL-17, you're WAY over SAAMI limits.

DF

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I wonder how well a factory Remington 700 in 6.5-06 would sell? I think it would do well. I would buy one for sure! They would have to make ammo for it also.

Last edited by hanco; 03/28/19.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by hanco
I wonder how well a factory Remington 700 in 6.5-06 would sell? I think it would do well. I would buy one for sure! They would have to make ammo for it also.

Think they'd twist it fast enough? IMO, 8 twist would be great.

DF

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
The 6.5-06 has something the others don't.....a very large pile of 270 and .30-06 brass sitting in buckets all over the country.....that's an advantage that is hard to ignore.....and just might be the reason no one makes ammo for it.....it won't sell well with all the "free" brass out there.

But let's be practical....what do we get from a 6.5-06 (regardless of twist) that we don't get from a .25-06 or even the venerable old.270?....and I mean advantages that the "run of the mill" hunter can actually make use of!

yea, yea, yea.....I know.....since when did practicality have anything to do with it? I have used the 6.5 X 55, the .260 Rem, and the .264 Win Mag.....and frankly haven't seen any real advantage one over the other in the field.

I have to hand it to Hornady.....seems their marketing folks could sell ice cubes to eskimos!

I've been telling my Creemoor shooting friends this for a long time, but they think the 6.5 is magic, I'll stick to the gay old 270!

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Switch

I've been telling my Creemoor shooting friends this for a long time, but they think the 6.5 is magic, I'll stick to the gay old 270!

I have one old "closet" .270 that I put together on a Springfield action back in the '60's when I was young and before I "knew"... blush

Vintage McGowen SS barrel, Timney, French Walnut Herter stock, etc. Shoots good.

Never killed a critter with it, always shooting "cooler" stuff, like one of my various 6.5's... cool

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Doubt it will happen but who knows there might be a special run or a smaller company doing a limited edition. Except for the SAAMI legitimization I would rather see a 6.5-06AI or the 6.5x280AI or even the 6.5-06 RCBS version with the 30% shoulder. These would best the 270 & 25-06 by at least 100 fps so slightly less redundant than the other 6.5s. As someone mentioned with modern rifles and components the old Swede gets pretty close to the 6.5-06 in performance, close enough you probably couldn't tell the difference in the field between the two.

DF Nice piece of history. Except for the Monty Carlo the lines of the stock are still classic. I bet you were listening to the Beach Boys are some California Band when you put that one together.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Tejano

DF Nice piece of history. Except for the Monty Carlo the lines of the stock are still classic. I bet you were listening to the Beach Boys are some California Band when you put that one together.

laugh

You may be onto something...

I cut a bunch of "roll over" cheek piece to get it to what you see.

It's sorta heavy, but I wasn't worried about weight back then.

I did the skip a line checkering, as that was "cool" in the day. Not so much now.

DF

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

618 members (10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 160user, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 74 invisible), 2,086 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,263
Posts18,448,214
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.