Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
JamesJr Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Started to take a picture, but I'm feeling crappy and lazy to boot today. It's finally dry here, at least enough to get over pasture ground. I made a drag out of some fencing panels and am dragging the pastures, scattering piles of manure. It works better than I thought it would. Probably not as good as a store bought would be, but it didn't cost much, and it works, so I'm happy.

GB1

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
That is a good policy James, we talk about that every spring but never do it.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Still snow here, but my drag is mad out of 8' chain link fence mesh with a few T-bars laced into it.I have piece of grader blade at the front to give it weight

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I need to do that.. I just pulled 3 horse off a pasture to worm them and leave that pasture empty for a few weeks before I worm goats and cows to rotate them out there. Would be the perfect time to drag it. Thanks for the timely reminder!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
One year we decided to take a shortcut back from an area that we had hunted and wound up wading through manure that must have been allowed to accumulate since the first cows wandered off the ark. My hunting partner coined the phrase "copious quantities of cow tschidt". (Although I thought that was the name of one of the other musicians that crashed with Patsy Cline.)

Last edited by 5sdad; 03/22/19.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We call it Turd busting.

The thing you drag is a Turd buster.

The guy driving the tractor is called?

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Harrowing in early spring is suppose to not only spread out old manure, but also wake up the grass.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Still spreading my cow chit via the all natural method!

There's a place down here that sells chicken chit and spreads it for you, but it's pretty expensive.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
An old throat chain from a combine will make a good manure drag. Really busts the pile up. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Harrowing in early spring is suppose to not only spread out old manure, but also wake up the grass.

Not to mention that an old spike harrow left lying where grass can grow up and conceal it makes an excellent device for removing air from tires. grin

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B3

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I bought one of these in an eight section in 2002, we used it on maybe twenty acres. I'd be too big for the pastures with creeks and all.

One of those things you needed twenty years ago. [Linked Image]

Last edited by wabigoon; 03/22/19.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
"Sticker than a harrow at midnight".

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Started to take a picture, but I'm feeling crappy and lazy to boot today. It's finally dry here, at least enough to get over pasture ground. I made a drag out of some fencing panels and am dragging the pastures, scattering piles of manure. It works better than I thought it would. Probably not as good as a store bought would be, but it didn't cost much, and it works, so I'm happy.

I did that last year in the front pasture and the resulting grass growth was epic. Worth the time and effort, and fencing does a decent job as a drag.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Not to mention that cows do not like to eat the grass right next to a cow patty. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
JamesJr Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I took 2 16 foot panels, wired them together, and nailed an oak 2X6 on the end, and use a chain to pull it with. I just thought I'd try it and if it didn't work, then I hadn't lost anything but a little time, and I have plenty of that. I've looked at some commercial ones, and I know they'd probably do a better job, but for a tool that I only use once a year, I just can't justify the cost. Part of this pasture was reseeded last fall, and I didn't want to get too aggressive on it, so my rig was probably better on that.

I'm just thankful that it's dried out, and you can get around without rutting the ground up. I've still got a mess where I fed hay, and it'll be mid summer before I can get on that and work it back down.

I don't guess any animal likes to eat where it chits, but horses are the worst. I have had mine up all winter in a small lot, because I'd reseeded the pasture they usually run in. Horses are bad about overgrazing, so I've been letting this pasture grow as much as it could before turning the horses back in. I ran the drag over the lot they've been in, and it's solid horse apples.....lol. So much fertilizer, I didn't see any need in putting anymore down.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cows do not eat the grass right next to a cow patty but they will breathe the air they fart in.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by milespatton
Not to mention that cows do not like to eat the grass right next to a cow patty. miles

That's very easy to resolve most of the year.

We coop our chickens in the front pasture. It takes about five minutes after a cow dumps to watch the chickens run over and scatter/comb the cow pie looking for seeds, etc. Any cow pie that may get dropped and immediately missed is typically cleaned up by the next day. The bugs are the target for the hens as well at that point.

It's a remarkable relationship and the area stays clean.

I pull the drag in early Spring to help with the thawed Winter poop buildup when the birds can't get it done practically.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
My chickens and dogs have the same relationship... smile

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I bought one of these in an eight section in 2002, we used it on maybe twenty acres. I'd be too big for the pastures with creeks and all.

One of those things you needed twenty years ago. [Linked Image]

I'd buy that if you'd get it out here for me.

Montana MOFO
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you want to see something funny feed your cows some whole corn or even steel cracked.

Then turn the chickens loose.

CRAZY!

Helps if you don't have television.

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1234, 10Glocks, 1lesfox, 1eyedmule, 60 invisible), 2,571 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,562
Posts18,453,715
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.