Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by longarm
Thank you Nebraska. She's preggers now. Looking forward to a basket of chocolate pups.
Here's a pic of her at ~1 year old watching coots swim through our decoys

[Linked Image]

Great looking dog, and I love that focus! smile

I don't have anything much to add to this except my 10 years old GWP has been a remarkable dog, in the hunting fields, as a traveling/camping companion and around the house. What a great dog! He's the only uncut male I've ever owned, and... Was a bit headstrong. We got that sorted out pretty quickly.
[Linked Image]

Had this youngster living with us for about a year. So eager to please! Good girl. Smart? Oh my goodness yes!
[Linked Image]

Guy

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Poconojack

Originally Posted by sidepass

That’s determination.

A Golden Retriever.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
50# female lab named Belle. Best darn upland dog I have ever hunted. She is family and a hunting machine. Last two labs have been female, fixed. Have owned big male
Labs and Most were good hunters. One male Chessie was a problem. MTG

Vena dura, ocyus occide, excusas non offer!
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Thank you MCH. I'm crazy about her. Have had Labs for about 50 years now, have never had one with anything close to her drive and gaminess.
Cascade - great looking dogs!
Sidepass - that video made my morning

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by longarm
Thank you MCH. I'm crazy about her. Have had Labs for about 50 years now, have never had one with anything close to her drive and gaminess.
Cascade - great looking dogs!
Sidepass - that video made my morning

I can't open that video here in Slovakia for some reason.

She is a beauty and you keep her in great shape. Congratulations

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great video, that is determination.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by luv2safari
They equal out.

Males are big and strong and can buck heavier cover. They are a bit strong-headed, however.

Females tend to be a bit easier to train, IMO, and they are usually natural retrievers. They seem to time going into heat with the upland season opener and often can't smell their front feet, accordingly.

That's exactly my experience, except my last bitch would go into heat in July and January, which I appreciated. Your experience with retrieving also mirrors mine, the females tend to be more persistent in the retrieve. The females, being smaller, also overheat less on early, warm hunts.

That said, when you get "that" male, he'll steal your heart and never let it go.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter

Personally if dogs really want to fight they have not been properly socialized.

I would have agreed with that statement 4 yrs ago.

My 5 yr old Pudelpointer has met other dogs on a daily basis under positive circumstances since day one. Literally hundreds of dogs over the years. He was left intact and was fine till he turned 2 and then started fighting other dogs (mostly males) that bothered him. He won't run up and start a fight but it another dog bugs him, pups included, he will put them in their place and back off when I intervene. It was a surprise to me as our previous dogs were females and I've never seen this trait.

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Females are so much better. They seem to want to do everything they can for you and you don't have to worry about them wandering.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not sure it matters to me. This guy is my daily companion everywhere I go. He is pissing on and killing several of my evergreens lol. He gets a pass as he is the best I have hunted with. He was also the youngest draht I could find who passed the HZP hunt test in 2017. He hasn't fought other dogs, but at 82 pounds he is hard on furred game we come across. We have a few neighborhood dogs who threaten us as we do our daily walks. He ignores them but I always tell my wife if it ever gets real there will be some vet bills required to fix the carnage.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by 30338; 04/30/19.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As a side note, I asked him if he would breed a griffon for a guy on here and he declined. Sorry.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

371 members (264mag, 16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 222ND, 17CalFan, 42 invisible), 2,815 guests, and 1,088 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,590
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.