Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Do you prefer a male or female bird dog? Why?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like females. I like 'em small and smart. Also, I am really picky about pedigree, and so I want the pups. Also, in my experience is it's easier to have multiple all females than all males. I've had good luck with a male/female pair as well.

Males often have an advantage physically, being bigger, stronger, etc. But I don't like them llifting their leg on everything. Last year during the dove opener, had a guy pull his duffel out of the truck and put it on the ground while he crawled in the bed to grab something. Just a few seconds, later he jumps down and someone's dog had peed on his duffelbag.

I am (still) waiting on a female pup right now ... Been two years and I could have had a male from the bloodlines I like, but passed.

Very much prefer females.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Yeah the best I had a was a little female Lab. It seemed like she could read my mind.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Well here is something to consider Males as a whole tend to be cheaper medically speaking.

You can argue this all day long and tell me how you had a male that had all kinds of health problems. But speaking to more than few very good veterinarians that are well educated on bird dogs and a mix of my own experience have shown it to be true.

As far as smarts goes that is very very debatable. Looking back at some of the greatest Field Trials dogs the majority are males.

Preferring one over the other to me is a personal thing and nothing more. I have owned both. I don't have a preference really. I have had pick of the litter twice and I didn't make the pick, the puppy picked me both times. I figure its a pure luck of the draw anyways as there is no way to tell as puppies what their potential will be. So Play with them and the one that locks onto you is the one I pick every time.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Females are a little smaller and little less strong. They also tend not to get into fights with other dogs like males can.
I've only had females but there are lots of good males and are often cheaper.

The field trailers like males because they can make money off the stud fees for a champion.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Well here is something to consider Males as a whole tend to be cheaper medically speaking.

You can argue this all day long and tell me how you had a male that had all kinds of health problems. But speaking to more than few very good veterinarians that are well educated on bird dogs and a mix of my own experience have shown it to be true.

As far as smarts goes that is very very debatable. Looking back at some of the greatest Field Trials dogs the majority are males.

Preferring one over the other to me is a personal thing and nothing more. I have owned both. I don't have a preference really. I have had pick of the litter twice and I didn't make the pick, the puppy picked me both times. I figure its a pure luck of the draw anyways as there is no way to tell as puppies what their potential will be. So Play with them and the one that locks onto you is the one I pick every time.

I agree with all this. I like to own the litters though. Selling top end Springers (my current preferred breed) for $1,000 a $1,200 a pup can defray a lot of med costs. Of course, if things go bad with a pregnant bitch, things can get dicey as well, so, you takes your chances.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
I prefer males, in part due to their typically larger size and strength. I keep mostly English Setters now but have usually had one of the versatile breeds too. The larger size, particularly height, better allows the dog to carry large birds like geese as well as better move through cover like snowed in cattails. As an aside, the greater strength of males makes them better partners in skijoring.

Another reason I prefer malesis they do not go into heat at in opportune times such as just before a trial/test or hunt. I am not enthralled with raising pups either, I prefer having the stud dog and pick my pup from a litter if I decide to do so. Or, take the stud fee to offset costs. With a good stud one can do at least as well as with a litter.

Of the dog fights I've seen, the absolute worse have been between females. When they go at it, they do a number on each other. I have had only one male that got into fights and that was the last wirehair I had and its aggression was directed at my older setter. The wirehair developed this aggression after the two dogs lived together for 7 years. I suspect a medical problem with the wirehair had some affect as its spine had been fusing for years. Prior to that, I had as many as 6 intact males in the house without problems. I made sure they knew I was the boss and that aggression was not tolerated. I've had other dogs act up toward my dogs but they have minded their P's and Q's with others.

As mentioned, male or female is a personal decision and there is no clear choice. Pick the pup you like from proven bloodlines and you will have done all you can do.

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I’ve always had females. No real reason I suppose other than that is what I’m used to.

I’d agree with Rick and MCH. Find a good hunter and dog man that happens to breed dogs you like and let the pup pick you.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They equal out.

Males are big and strong and can buck heavier cover. They are a bit strong-headed, however.

Females tend to be a bit easier to train, IMO, and they are usually natural retrievers. They seem to time going into heat with the upland season opener and often can't smell their front feet, accordingly.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by RickBin

I agree with all this. I like to own the litters though. Selling top end Springers (my current preferred breed) for $1,000 a $1,200 a pup can defray a lot of med costs. Of course, if things go bad with a pregnant bitch, things can get dicey as well, so, you takes your chances.

I am not a breeder but yes absolutely if you are or want to breed than you need to be in the drivers seat. Females would be what you need.

Not aimed at you RickBin. It is funny I have been around a lot of dogs. I have not experienced all this dog fighting. Though we usually only put two dogs on the ground at a time. Sometimes three if someone has a flusher or retriever. Anyways even the kennel dogs I have been around have been properly socialized. No problems with fighting.

Last edited by MontanaCreekHunter; 03/24/19.

IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
buy the pup with the biggest head in the litter male or female more room for brains!

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I have had several goldens ...I much prefer females..

Molon Labe
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
I have had several goldens ...I much prefer females..

I thought we were talking about hunting dogs here. smile

O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
I have males, don't want to deal with 'heat'. I had a spayed female that was a good dog, but since then, males. I think they are more stubborn and hard headed about things but its a pretty small group to compare. Being stubborn is also a trait that really helps in field trials. Its a good skill for them to have once you can get them trained.

Last edited by Oakster; 03/24/19.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Having only owned 5 GWPs can't make a generalized statement on getting a male or female. Have had three males and two females. Currently chose a male to compliment a 3 yr old female. They work well together, just as the last pair of male/female I had. The males tended to hunt further out.

As for choosing one. We had a chance to see many pictures of the pups before the breeder allowed us to visit and choose. It was based on who made deposits first. My wife saw this picture and said this is the one you want.

[Linked Image]

I didn't look for that particular pup but as another poster said, the pup chose me. It wasn't till I got home and began to look carefully and realized the pup in the picture is the one my wife suggested!

He now looks like this:

[Linked Image]

Enjoy the experience!

Last edited by Azshooter; 03/25/19.
W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W

I am not a breeder but yes absolutely if you are or want to breed than you need to be in the drivers seat. Females would be what you need.

Not aimed at you RickBin. It is funny I have been around a lot of dogs. I have not experienced all this dog fighting. Though we usually only put two dogs on the ground at a time. Sometimes three if someone has a flusher or retriever. Anyways even the kennel dogs I have been around have been properly socialized. No problems with fighting.

Owning the sire, I have just as much control over a litter as the one owning the dam. We both have the ability to decide whether a breeding takes place. As the owner of the male, I have the ability to reject the offer if approached by the female's owner and the reverse is also true.

There are some advantages with the male that tipped me in that direction. As mentioned, vet cost. With males one has standard care costs and then whatever emergencies crop up. With females you have the same plus pregnancy costs if breeding.

One also has the time and space taken to raise the pups. Some like that process and have the "staff" to do so but I didn't and still don't. Being single and having a job that kept me from home well over 24 hours at a time was not conducive to raising litters and I would not dump that responsibility on others.

There is also the payment of stud fees which may or may not be upfront depending on the agreement. Owning the male I can decide whether I want to be paid at the time of breeding, from the sale of a pup, or take a pup in exchange. These are hopefully covered in the sale of pups but not always. I've had breedings not take and the breeder was on the hook for the cost as my dog was a proven producer while the female was not.

Another advantage of a male is not having to wait for the proper timing of a heat cycle if there is a particular time I want to start a pup. These can get difficult as the heat cycle might be early, late or even skipped; the breeding might not take; or life circumstances might change making it difficult to care for a litter. With a male I do not have those issue so nod it's have an advantage of possibly having multiple litters to chose a pup from as well as getting the timing I want.

As I mentioned earlier, it is a personal decision with the right answer being dependent on the person. I've had good females but would have to change the way I operate if I were to get an intact female. There are enough males in the house that the possibility of a fight breaking out over a female in heat is possible.

As for fighting, I have had just the one problem and I feel it was more health related than gender. My dogs are around many dogs and have been well socialized. I worry far more about the dogs of others picking fights with mine.

Lifting legs is a matter of training. From a young age I watch my pups and correct the most fa they try marking something I don't want them to. I also do not let my dogs run free if I can't watch them and keep them under control. So much of this nonsense is allowed due to the handler not putting their dog at heel or in place.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Good blood first and then Birds. Male or female, Birds make the Dog and not the other way around.

Many spend the time and money on buying blood, but then short change the Dog on Birds. A great Bird Dog has little to do with male or female and more than a little to do with contacts.

Last edited by battue; 03/25/19.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by battue
Good blood first and then Birds. Male or female, Birds make the Dog and not the other way around.

Many spend the time and money on buying blood, but then short change the Dog on Birds. A great Bird Dog has little to do with male or female and more than a little to do with contacts.
This has been true in my very limited experience around dogs. My male pudelpointer has a lot more potential than he's showing due to my lack of consistently putting him on wild birds.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by woodmaster81

Owning the sire, I have just as much control over a litter as the one owning the dam. We both have the ability to decide whether a breeding takes place. As the owner of the male, I have the ability to reject the offer if approached by the female's owner and the reverse is also true.

There are some advantages with the male that tipped me in that direction. As mentioned, vet cost. With males one has standard care costs and then whatever emergencies crop up. With females you have the same plus pregnancy costs if breeding.

One also has the time and space taken to raise the pups. Some like that process and have the "staff" to do so but I didn't and still don't. Being single and having a job that kept me from home well over 24 hours at a time was not conducive to raising litters and I would not dump that responsibility on others.

There is also the payment of stud fees which may or may not be upfront depending on the agreement. Owning the male I can decide whether I want to be paid at the time of breeding, from the sale of a pup, or take a pup in exchange. These are hopefully covered in the sale of pups but not always. I've had breedings not take and the breeder was on the hook for the cost as my dog was a proven producer while the female was not.

Another advantage of a male is not having to wait for the proper timing of a heat cycle if there is a particular time I want to start a pup. These can get difficult as the heat cycle might be early, late or even skipped; the breeding might not take; or life circumstances might change making it difficult to care for a litter. With a male I do not have those issue so nod it's have an advantage of possibly having multiple litters to chose a pup from as well as getting the timing I want.

As I mentioned earlier, it is a personal decision with the right answer being dependent on the person. I've had good females but would have to change the way I operate if I were to get an intact female. There are enough males in the house that the possibility of a fight breaking out over a female in heat is possible.

As for fighting, I have had just the one problem and I feel it was more health related than gender. My dogs are around many dogs and have been well socialized. I worry far more about the dogs of others picking fights with mine.

Lifting legs is a matter of training. From a young age I watch my pups and correct the most fa they try marking something I don't want them to. I also do not let my dogs run free if I can't watch them and keep them under control. So much of this nonsense is allowed due to the handler not putting their dog at heel or in place.

No you don't have control over the litter. You get a stud fee and or a pick of the litter in most cases. The Breeder has the control. Yes you can decide what dogs and breeders you choose to give seamen to but really the control lies in the hands of the owner of the dam. Which is fine if in your case it works for you. RickBin is breeding to sell and make profit it sounds like to me. So instead of he getting a stud fee and or a pick of the litter, he is getting the entire litter maybe minus one.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by battue

Absolutely! No exposure to birds will ruin the best of breeding. Brian Hays told me the single most important thing in developing a birddog is Birds. Consistent exposure to birds which means year round training.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

660 members (1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 1minute, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 1234, 58 invisible), 2,983 guests, and 1,348 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,697
Posts18,456,685
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.