Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have no issue going to REI to try products on and then go online and buy them else wear. I admittedly still shop there, but it's a last choice. North Face, ArcTeryx, Marmot, etc can be bought from various online vendors. If a company wants to make a political statement, so be it. I try to make mine where I can too, just not so much with my voice, more so my wallet. New Nike products are banned in my house, no Levi's, avoid REI, never Dick's, no more Yeti...

As for Starbucks, I think the message was they don't want their stores to be the location of open carry appreciation rallies. I respect that. I've been in countless Starbucks in the Denver metro area. I have yet to see a sign prohibiting any sort of carry (ever) and have occasionally seen open carry in their stores.

GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm
I have no issue going to REI to try products on and then go online and buy them else wear. I admittedly still shop there, but it's a last choice. North Face, ArcTeryx, Marmot, etc can be bought from various online vendors. If a company wants to make a political statement, so be it. I try to make mine where I can too, just not so much with my voice, more so my wallet. New Nike products are banned in my house, no Levi's, avoid REI, never Dick's, no more Yeti...

As for Starbucks, I think the message was they don't want their stores to be the location of open carry appreciation rallies. I respect that. I've been in countless Starbucks in the Denver metro area. I have yet to see a sign prohibiting any sort of carry (ever) and have occasionally seen open carry in their stores.

Again you are not answering the question. You try it on at REI and buy it online. What online retailer is it that you think isn't anti 2A or hunting? North Face Not either. Marmot Not either. Arcteryx Not either, yes I know they have the leaf collection, haha that they hide oh so well. Not to mention it's their "Tactical" line for police and military so that makes it ok in their eyes.

So should I just settle for lesser products and buy them at places I need to jump through hoops to acquire?

Hint there are REI's pretty much everywhere and their return policy is pretty dam good.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter

Again you are not answering the question. You try it on at REI and buy it online. What online retailer is it that you think isn't anti 2A or hunting? North Face Not either. Marmot Not either. Arcteryx Not either, yes I know they have the leaf collection, haha that they hide oh so well. Not to mention it's their "Tactical" line for police and military so that makes it ok in their eyes.

So should I just settle for lesser products and buy them at places I need to jump through hoops to acquire?

Hint there are REI's pretty much everywhere and their return policy is pretty dam good.

Montana, I'm not WAM. What question did you ask me?

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

Montana, I'm not WAM. What question did you ask me?

I know you are not. But you sort of replied to my question maybe inadvertently?

As I replied to you those companies you mention are not 2A nor hunting friendly, North Face, Marmot, Arcteryx. You say you try on at REI but buy from online retailers. What online retailer do you think is 2A or hunting friendly?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I wasn't intentionally replying to your question. More stating what I do. You do as you want. As for retailers, sure there might be some anti-gun bias in some of them, but my personal criteria is if the company routinely and blatantly makes anti-2A statements and decisions, I will avoid them. I'm sure Arcteryx has some liberals on board, but I personally have never heard/seen/read anything from them that states they are anti-2A. If I learn something new, I'll adjust accordingly. To me, no (anti-2A) news is good news. With my own company, I know my personal views are not inline with some of my clients, but I also don't advertise my political views to clients.

I just googled "arcteryc jacket" and on the first page about 10 different companies came up. Some I don't even know. I'll eliminate the obvious anti-gun ones and shop on price, return policy, and stars on the remaining ones. That's just me.

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I wasn't intentionally replying to your question. More stating what I do. You do as you want. As for retailers, sure there might be some anti-gun bias in some of them, but my personal criteria is if the company routinely and blatantly makes anti-2A statements and decisions, I will avoid them. I'm sure Arcteryx has some liberals on board, but I personally have never heard/seen/read anything from them that states they are anti-2A. If I learn something new, I'll adjust accordingly. To me, no (anti-2A) news is good news. With my own company, I know my personal views are not inline with some of my clients, but I also don't advertise my political views to clients.

I just googled "arcteryc jacket" and on the first page about 10 different companies came up. Some I don't even know. I'll eliminate the obvious anti-gun ones and shop on price, return policy, and stars on the remaining ones. That's just me.

Good way to avoid answering. No worries you are certainly free to do as you like. But as I have said the peanuts they donate compared to the boatloads the big companies we do business with everyday is hypocritical.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
[/quote]

I wouldn't say Patagonia is anti-hunting. [/quote]

Good to hear this even though I don't buy a lot from Patagonia. I approve of their dam removal efforts and pollution reduction campaigns. The gear is top notch and the guarantee as good as it gets.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Buy the best gear you can afford at the best price you can find.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by ironbender
Buy the best gear you can afford at the best price you can find.

Agree for the most part. But if I know one seller is great with customer service and returns and the other is unknown I'll pay a little more.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Not a rule, it's more of a guideline. wink

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B3

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O

Gun store nearest to me is Dicks, if they have something I am interested I go there waste their time checking it out than go online and purchase it. I do the same with REI.

Ted
D
DW7 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Tejano

I wouldn't say Patagonia is anti-hunting.

I would.

https://www.patagonia.com/blog/2016/09/yvon-chouinard-save-the-yellowstone-grizzly/

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DW7

I would.

https://www.patagonia.com/blog/2016/09/yvon-chouinard-save-the-yellowstone-grizzly/

And I would not be surprised if they drop fishing as soon as the old man dies... 7% of their business and something over 50 million in annual sales
Their upland hunting pants and jacket is obviously for shooting yet they came up with some goofy-ass name for it.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Oh yeah, "hacking" jacket!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by DW7

I would.

I know a lot of hunters that are against hunting some species. This doesn't show He is anti hunting. Can you come up with something better?

D
DW7 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by DW7

I would.

I know a lot of hunters that are against hunting some species. This doesn't show He is anti hunting. Can you come up with something better?

Sorta goes back to my comment in the why hunt bears thread montanacreekhunter, not many grey areas in my vision anymore. He actively worked to prevent the grizzly hunt. He's also a big supporter and contributor
of BHA.

Last edited by DW7; 04/17/19.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by DW7
Originally Posted by DW7

I would.

Sorta goes back to my comment in the why hunt bears thread montanacreekhunter, not many grey areas in my vision anymore. He actively worked to prevent the grizzly hunt. He's also a big supporter and contributor
of BHA.

There is a difference between anti-hunting and those that see hunting in only their opinionated ways. I agree with you I hate the grey areas.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
A couple weeks ago I was killing time in Anchorage and the REI was right there. Haven't been in there in years, so what the heck. Wasn't planning on buying anything anyway, but it was a sure thing when I saw two of the "sales associates" had man-buns.

Call me prejudiced... or just chea - um - economical. Over-priced yuppe/millenial stuff.

Who the hell is going to pay $180 for a pair of trekking poles? Pair of bamboo ski poles cost a lot less ( I have at least 4 unused sets that came with skis years ago), and my homemade birch Moses staff was free but for some whittling time.

I did recently acquire a Yeti thermal cup. Nice cup. Found it on the road in the next-door state campground. Smelled of wine. figure someone left it sitting on the bumper when driving off.

My kind of shopping high end stuff- ain't gonna throw it out because it's Yeti. Using it for a garage cup tho. smile

It is a real purty robin's egg blue.

Last edited by las; 04/21/19.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Ok- I'll retract a bit here. I know a mountain guide who rightly has a set of those trekkers IF they are the best available . He doesn't buy anything that isn't the best available in his opinion. His and his client's lives depend on it, often enough.

I was thinking more along the lines of that obnoxious, always-talking lady hiker in the Robert Redford movie about the two old guys hiking the Appalachian Trail. And Yuppies, weekend trail hiking. The Neon Brigade.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

644 members (10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 160user, 19rabbit52, 65 invisible), 2,039 guests, and 1,182 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,243
Posts18,447,892
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.